Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
Mikey- The AAA website said that it's an additional $25 for a spouse (or other adult) plus a one time fee of $10 for new memberships. This would be $35 on top of the $47 they want for the basic membership. My fiance and I will have to discuss it. HE (yes, I'm the girl! Sorry I just thought it was funny that you thought I was a guy! Do I write like a guy? LOL!!!) likes the idea of getting AAA, but also doesn't want to feel as though we're wasting money.

Southport sounds great but I think we both want to live closer to a city, that way we can easily be involved with the many things that city life offers. But keep in mind that right now we live in a very small town with very little to do, so we want to be very close to the "action"!!!
Guess I made an assumption that I should not have, and no you do not write like a guy, my bad! Guess AAA went up $5 on their fee and that additional $10 must be something new. I would just use the link I gavce you and contact the NCDOT for free maps. The action would be in Wilmington but Southport sure is a great area to visit and relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Mikey- The AAA website said that it's an additional $25 for a spouse (or other adult) plus a one time fee of $10 for new memberships. This would be $35 on top of the $47 they want for the basic membership. My fiance and I will have to discuss it. HE (yes, I'm the girl! Sorry I just thought it was funny that you thought I was a guy! Do I write like a guy? LOL!!!) likes the idea of getting AAA, but also doesn't want to feel as though we're wasting money.

Southport sounds great but I think we both want to live closer to a city, that way we can easily be involved with the many things that city life offers. But keep in mind that right now we live in a very small town with very little to do, so we want to be very close to the "action"!!!
You could do what my husband and I do, just get it in your name only. This costs less and you can call for him if he ever needs assistance and you aren't with him Plus you get all the maps and info you request.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You could do what my husband and I do, just get it in your name only. This costs less and you can call for him if he ever needs assistance and you aren't with him Plus you get all the maps and info you request.
That's what my Wife and I do, and we paid $42 at our last renewal this past September. We order maps and tourbooks once each year and have used the AAA discount on rental cars. We have been members since 1986 and haven't regretted it yet.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 12-04-2007 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: added in a line of type.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:57 AM

185 posts, read 567,355 times
lovesMountains & Mikey- That's a really good idea, it would be nice to have it when we travel! If you get the membership, are the the maps and tour books free or is there a charge for them? What kind of discounts do they offer that would be most beneficial when traveling?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
lovesMountains & Mikey- That's a really good idea, it would be nice to have it when we travel! If you get the membership, are the the maps and tour books free or is there a charge for them? What kind of discounts do they offer that would be most beneficial when traveling?
Maps and tourbooks are free, and there are maps of many cities available, such as Raleigh, Charlotte and Wilmington. Tourbooks and maps are updated every year so you can maintain a library with the latest information. You can pick up your info at any AAA location or have them mail it to you if the AAA place is too far away.

Discounts include auto rental, hotels & motels, restaurants, theme parks, on eyeglasses, prescription drugs, auto parts and even clothing & shoes.

If you run out of gas they will bring some to you. If you lock yourself out of your car they will send someone to unlock it.

When you travel, order a TripTik at least 3 weeks in advance. It is a spiral bound, flip-over thing with maps, weather and construction information on the roads and gives you detailed travel instructions. Order a round trip one way using the fastest route and perhaps return by the scenic route. I know I sound like a commercial but that is not my intent.

And there are many more benefits not related to travel. Anything else?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 AM

It really does seem worthwhile! I think I'll just wait until after the first of the year and then sign up!!! I love having information on places that I'm interested in moving to, so having tour books would be nice. The internet is nice but I like having a hard copy to keep with me. Also, since we'll be trying to make a trip down there without spending a lot of money, especially since we might move shortly afterwards, having the discounts would be really nice.

Thank you for all your help.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
It really does seem worthwhile! I think I'll just wait until after the first of the year and then sign up!!! I love having information on places that I'm interested in moving to, so having tour books would be nice. The internet is nice but I like having a hard copy to keep with me. Also, since we'll be trying to make a trip down there without spending a lot of money, especially since we might move shortly afterwards, having the discounts would be really nice.

Thank you for all your help.
Your appreciation makes it all worthwhile. This is why many of us are in here...to help others and pass the time at the same time. Enjoy your trip and don't forget a camera!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:54 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,138 times
WILLOW SPRING!!!!! Check it out!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 AM

NCMommy- Thank you for the tip! Can you tell me a little about the area? It's really nice to hear from locals since you can only get so much info from the internet, and it's even harder to get a "feel" for an area with facts and statistics. Thank you for your time!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Paul- Thank you for posting that link! I've visited the site but have yet to really explore the information.

I just love all the help I'm getting! I just want to say thank you to everyone who's taken the time to give advice. It truly has been helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina