Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times

Advertisements

Roy seems really interested in always doing what is best for North Carolina, and that alone puts him light years ahead of McCrory. I really hope he wins in a landslide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Correction: Dems are stupid, very looney and are extremely hateful. Republican want to be dems or acting moderates are corrupt. IMO - We need a Scott Walker here in NC.
Scott Walker? Damn. He's a lunatic.

If you hate NC so much that you'd wish that on us all, why'd you move here?

Last edited by RedZin; 03-09-2014 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Scott Walker? Damn. He's a lunatic.

If you hate NC so much that you'd wish that on us all, why'd you move here?
Scott Walker started government belt-tightening, reforms, tax cuts to create a Billion dollar surplus! We need more "lunatics" like that. We don't need hateful & corrupt career Democratic politicians raising taxes, spending foolishly and making poor decisions. I moved here to get away from Hateful Looney Dems. I love NC, but if you hate Pat then move.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Scott Walker started government belt-tightening, reforms, tax cuts to create a Billion dollar surplus! We need more "lunatics" like that. We don't need hateful & corrupt career Democratic politicians raising taxes, spending foolishly and making poor decisions. I moved here to get away from Hateful Looney Dems. I love NC, but if you hate Pat then move.
I'm a native. My family goes back several generations. No way in hell, buddy.

Do your research. This state has always been more liberal than most of the other southern states. Not a "liberal" state in general, but certainly not so sickeningly hard right as it appears now. The Tea Party hold won't last. People will eventually insist on more moderate politicians.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Cooper defends gay marriage stance following opinions in VA, KY - WNCN: News, Weather for Raleigh. Durham, Fayetteville

Tough position for cooper. On one hand he has a job to do, on the other hand he's defending a law contrary to what he believes is a civil right.

I wonder if the governors should be appointing AGs rather than having it a state wide elected office.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:00 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
I believe in smaller government. Until Republicans believe in that fully and apply it it everything, they are just repeating non-sense. You can't be for smaller government, and be for more marriage restrictions, women restrictions, and the like. They just don't go together.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I believe in smaller government. Until Republicans believe in that fully and apply it it everything, they are just repeating non-sense. You can't be for smaller government, and be for more marriage restrictions, women restrictions, and the like. They just don't go together.

They do actually.

Marriage restrictions. Get the government out of it completely. I don't need a government license to prove that I'm married to my wife. I guess I don’t fit in on either side of this argument.

Women restrictions. My tax dollars not paying for your abortion* or pill does not mean I'm saying you can't do it. I can’t see why woman who want the option of these service cannot be in one insurance priced pool and woman who want to opt out of these services can be in another pool. This seems simple enough. Also making an abortion office have the same surgical standards as an oral surgeon seems to me as a good way to protect woman. Ask Kermitt Gosnell’s patients.

*yes I understand we don’t pay for abortions directly. But it really is a wink and a nod situation with Planned Parenthood.

This is why nothing ever gets done. We can’t compromise by saying “fine live your life, leave me out of it.” We need to also subsidize activities we may morally object to.
The odd thing about abortion is that if it was never invented, and Mitt Romney came out today with news that he has invented a procedure that will prevent 16 million minorities from being born over the next 40 years what would he be called?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
They do actually.

Marriage restrictions. Get the government out of it completely. I don't need a government license to prove that I'm married to my wife. I guess I don’t fit in on either side of this argument.

Women restrictions. My tax dollars not paying for your abortion* or pill does not mean I'm saying you can't do it. I can’t see why woman who want the option of these service cannot be in one insurance priced pool and woman who want to opt out of these services can be in another pool. This seems simple enough. Also making an abortion office have the same surgical standards as an oral surgeon seems to me as a good way to protect woman. Ask Kermitt Gosnell’s patients.

*yes I understand we don’t pay for abortions directly. But it really is a wink and a nod situation with Planned Parenthood.

This is why nothing ever gets done. We can’t compromise by saying “fine live your life, leave me out of it.” We need to also subsidize activities we may morally object to.
The odd thing about abortion is that if it was never invented, and Mitt Romney came out today with news that he has invented a procedure that will prevent 16 million minorities from being born over the next 40 years what would he be called?

Marriage, from a government perspective, is more about guarantees under the law. Tax benefits, survivorship, inheritance, child custody, etc. Why not just get the church out of secular marriage?

That seems like the easiest stance to have. If you don't think a government license is good for anything, ask yourself why you got married in the first place. Surely, there's a reason?

As for funding abortion... well, we fund any and every other medical problem. I don't smoke. Should my tax dollars go to paying for other people's smoker-related lung cancer treatment?

I am not morbidly obese... should my tax dollars got to funding morbid obesity that can be traced to poor eating habits?

The list goes on and I think you see where it's headed. If people do not like abortions, they simply should not have them. I'm sure that people who are childless by choice cannot immediately see the benefits of paying tax money out to fund public schools, but at the end of the day, we all benefit from an educated populace.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:33 PM

[quote=meh_whatever;33819391]Marriage, from a government perspective, is more about guarantees under the law. Tax benefits, survivorship, inheritance, child custody, etc. Why not just get the church out of secular marriage?

QUOTE]

All can be done with a civil contract.

The only thing I can't get around in the case of homosexual adoption. I do feel one mom one dad is best. But we barely have that now with all the single parents.

So is 2 gay parents better than one single parent? Probably
Is 2 gay parants better than foster care? Is there a doubt? Maybe for some.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
A little off topic is fine here and there but be-careful of abandoning the topic or discussing hot button off topic issues, particularly if it not related to the original post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina