U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2007, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 48,864 times
What can you tell me about Monroe,NC? We are moving from Ct with my 4 kids. My husbands job is in Ft mill,Sc. We might move there. But, realtor has been giving us house listings for Monroe and I don't know anything about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,413,484 times
While eastern NC may be money challenged (how's that for PC) there are a few shinning stars here.

Greenville/Winterville. Take what you read about this area on City-data.com with a grain of salt. When the 2010 census comes out you will see changes. There is some high tech and industry there but the bulk of their economy is based on 2 large institutions that are bullet proof. Pitt Memorial Hospital and Eastern Carolina University. Both of these are expanding constantly and the area is really starting to prosper because of it. Add to that the fact that Greenville and Pitt County have awoken up to the fact that transplants are good for the economy and you get an area that is doing well.

Pitt County has been working for a good number of years now to set itself apart from the typicial good old boy NC area. Some areas they've improved upon have been stricter zoning and enforcement, making it difficult and financially unwise to open a trailer park and forcing people to clean up their dwellings. It can be difficult to get people to change after they've done things a certain way for hundreds of years but Pitt County and Greenville are working on it.

Wilmington was just named to CNN/Money's list of top 10 places to purchase real estate. The reason? It's a nice place to live and there is plenty to see and do. Real estate prices wil only be increasing there as more people "discover" it and desire to live there.

Oriental is a quirky little town and is only 1 of 2 small towns where I'd want to live in eastern NC. You cannot go by the City-data info on this town. It is so wrong that it defies explantion.

From what I've seen of Oriental the population appears to be mostly tranplants with one thing in common. Money and lots of it. They aren't building huge McMansions there and those who live there like it that way. There's no Walmart, Food Lions or even a shopping center. If you want to go shopping you'll need to jump on the ferry and head over to New Bern.

What they do have is atmosphere. It's mostly sail boaters that live there and the types of businesses that go along with them. Cute little coffee shops and waterfront eateries are the norm there.

Wilson is up and coming with a lot of new subdivisions and shopping. I've never really seen the appeal of Wilson other than it's not Rocky Mount and it is on 95. I'm suspecting that those who would like to live in Rocky Mount are taking their money just a little further south to Wilson instead.

Roanoke Rapids isn't half bad and they are doing a whole lot of building around Lake Gaston. RR's main appeal for me is it's proximity to the Northeast. There is a decent amount of shopping there, a nice historic district and it's the first town with any substance when you enter NC.

New Bern. How could anyody leave this town off of their list of nice places to live. It's the birthplace of Pepsi! They have a great historic district that makes Annapolis, MD look bad. It's clean, well maintained and full of businesses. Developers would like to get ahold of New Bern in the worst way but city leaders are plotting their course carefully and it appears to be paying off. There are quite a few new subdivisions going up but they are outside of town.

As far as tiny towns go there really isn't much I like. I've been to most of them. Not much to see since they put 95 through and most people stopped traveling north south on 301.

One great little town though is a place called Black Creek. It's just outside of Wilson. Mayberry and Andy Taylor come to mind everytime I drive through there. There's nothing really to see but the town has appeal. It's clean (unique for small towns in eastern NC), has a small main street right next to the railroad tracks and just has a good feel. I like it.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:49 PM

6 posts, read 26,938 times
Default Durham is nice I agree

I owned a townhome near Southpoint Mall and then a house by Jordan High, which is also near the Southpoint mall and it's even better now than when I left in 2002, with new malls and nice new development. Since the area is so close to RTP, Duke, UNC, and really Chapel Hill and Durham to me, just sort of run together. Yes, the only one part of Durham which is very small, seems to give the city a bad rep, but I never went to that small area in all those years of living there, I can say it was great with access to 9th St, and access to Franklin St in Chapel Hill... I think Durham & Chapel Hill has more to offer to 20 something's, then the married w/children people in Cary (Cary is great too). But it depends on what your lifestyle is... Durham/Chapel Hill is slightly more artsy and creative in my opinion than Raleigh/Cary. All those cities are great in their own way, but all of them have in common a more culturally diverse and educated people than average Southern towns because of all the great colleges, high-tech jobs, research facilities... better paying jobs, more taxes, better schools make the town nicer for people who are in the more professional jobs.

I think instead of asking "Worst or Best towns", you need to look at your own lifestyle, what kind of profession you are in, how you live and what kind of people you would like to be living near. It's pretty simple - jobs dictate for the most part, what kind of people live in a certain area. Also, colleges, schools, and town attractions play a role in attracting certain kinds of people.

But back to the original question, I would not live in Fayetteville (typical military town meaning unless u are in the military, there's not much there career-wise so most of the civilians are non-professionals). I didn't care to venture too far out east of Raleigh, like in Knightdale. North of Raleigh like Wake Forest is growing nicely. too far south of Cary. Really, just stick to the RTP area, which is pretty huge when you look at the map. Wilmington seems nice during tourist season and my brother went to UNCW but I didn't care for it. Looking at west of Charlotte, I don't care too much for. North and South of Charlotte is better I think. Again, jobs and new higher-end sudivisions with better shopping is pushing this move. I dont' know too much about Charlotte area but I am doing more research so I can decide whether or not to stay here long-term, or not just moved here 2 weeks ago

I look at my favorite stores I love to shop as one of the criterias in moving to a certain location. Usually access to the kind of stores or eatery fits a certain profile people.

Of course ultimately one has to consider their finances in making a choice in relocating, so if you find that Charlotte has everything you want but the nicer homes are pricey, and you don't mind a short drive into the city, you can venture into the outer areas of the city and get a less expensive home for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
When trying to get advice on Durham, listen to people that live here, not people that like to bash from afar.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM

769 posts, read 2,523,571 times
Default Charlotte, NC

I lived in Charlotte, NC for 1 year and I could not get out of there quick enough. The people can not drive, the schools are overcrowded, there are TONS of Mexicans, there is nothing to do in this so called city...I am now thinking of relocating back to NC...however it will be on the east coast closer to Raleigh. Everyone says how beautiful that area is especially Cary and Apex.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:53 PM

7 posts, read 30,199 times
Post Some suggestions for research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Law View Post
...Really, what you want to avoid, are areas where the commerce/growth potential is minimal....and

You do have to be careful because these towns especially have crime in schools....

I am from NJ/IA/MO/IL/IN/IA/NY and hopefully to NC next. As a compulsive e-researcher, I've been attempting to find answers to these questions as well. I just found this forum today!

Here is a link that help address John's comments about growth, crime, and SES (socioeconomic status) related material of populations.
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place/cityprofile/

Now if I could only get more info on evaluating the heat pump systems so many of the houses on the market have, evaluating septic systems and wells I'll be home free! It also helps that I have acquaintances there (Oxford area) who are helping me...

Now all I need is to know is where to go to get some of John's southern pulled pork BBQ! Oh - and a JOB!

Last edited by neighbor_nancy; 03-14-2007 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 AM

8 posts, read 53,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGourmet View Post
Here's the problem. We have had a dramatic influx of transplants from other places. The population is growing at a pace that is far beyond the states ability to keep up with. It is currently estimated that within 10 years we will be the most populated state on the East coast if people continue to move here from other states. Our Southern culture is RAPIDLY disappearing and, along with it, such things as the laid back atmosphere, the Southern hospitality and the like. The coast (where I have lived for many years) has become pretty bad, the I-40 corridor is going to soon be one big metro area stretching from Winston-Salem to Rocky Mount, the area around Charlotte has grown to unmanageable proportions. If it sounds like I wish people would quit coming here...well...I do. All it does is raise the cost of living (now the fastest growing in the country) and lower the quality of life.
Please, don't consider me mean or hateful but I wish people would either (a) stay where they are or (b) find some other place to ruin.
Sorry...but it is true.
Exactly. Well said ...

Old 03-21-2007, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 38,346 times
I know what you are saying about transplants...I have lived in Colorado Springs, CO all my life, and never ever thought I would leave. But I am. This town can handle MAYBE 200,000 people, but we have well over 500,000...most of them transplants from CA. There are an additional 20,000 soldiers coming here due to base closures across the country, so with their families, you are looking at potentially 60,000 more people...

We have had nothing good come from this. We have all of the problems of major cities, but none of the benefits. The people that have moved here are either filthy rich or dirt poor, so if you're middle class, there is nothing here for you. The median cost of a cracker box home (we're talking 1200 sq.ft) is about $250,000. Education has gone down the toilet--there are just too many kids and not enough teachers. Teacher to student ratio is about 30:1. Nice, huh? And that's just the beginning.....

So--we are moving to NC. (I promise not to wreck your state, elcid. ) I'm just looking for a nice, quiet, safe place to raise my kids. We WERE looking at Rocky Mount.....but........ anyway...........

Do you know of any nice areas around Roanoke Rapids? That's where my husband will be working....

Thanks to all for your honest opinions....I know some of them are hard to hear, but this is really what's needed instead of the glossy Chamber of Commerce version....

Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 38,346 times
Uhhh...that SHOULD read "Student to teacher ratio"...see how bad the education system is here? hahaha

Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 PM

140 posts, read 366,163 times
ncsu99 -- you sound like a very down to earth and honest person -- play the lotto, maybe you'll win that 50-100 acres somewhere in NC to do that farming. I have a 'soft spot' for farmers...the backbone of this Nation. I'll say a prayer for you.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,413,484 times
Roanoke Rapids isn't too bad but they haven't done too much residential builidng there since the 70s and 80s. They have put up quite a few new commercial buildings right along I-95 and that is very encouraging. They are doing a lot of residential building around Lake Gaston. They do have a decent older homes section in RR. It would be on my list of places to live if it wasn't so far from the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina