U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,676,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGourmet View Post
Here's the problem. We have had a dramatic influx of transplants from other places. The population is growing at a pace that is far beyond the states ability to keep up with. It is currently estimated that within 10 years we will be the most populated state on the East coast if people continue to move here from other states. Our Southern culture is RAPIDLY disappearing and, along with it, such things as the laid back atmosphere, the Southern hospitality and the like. The coast (where I have lived for many years) has become pretty bad, the I-40 corridor is going to soon be one big metro area stretching from Winston-Salem to Rocky Mount, the area around Charlotte has grown to unmanageable proportions. If it sounds like I wish people would quit coming here...well...I do. All it does is raise the cost of living (now the fastest growing in the country) and lower the quality of life.
Please, don't consider me mean or hateful but I wish people would either (a) stay where they are or (b) find some other place to ruin.
Sorry...but it is true.
This is a good, honest post. A lot of the hidden resentment from southerners to the northerners is based on this and I can't say I blame them a bit, to be honest. It's one of the smaller reasons why we're going to move back to New Jersey. I would NOT want to be here in ten years, that's for sure.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 03-22-2007 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 12:45 AM

185 posts, read 496,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Roanoke Rapids isn't too bad but they haven't done too much residential builidng there since the 70s and 80s. They have put up quite a few new commercial buildings right along I-95 and that is very encouraging. They are doing a lot of residential building around Lake Gaston. They do have a decent older homes section in RR. It would be on my list of places to live if it wasn't so far from the ocean.
Great posts. Really appreciated.

Do you know anything about Washington? It's near Greenville and I happened to check it's website as a tentative future location.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, you seem to value places with character.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 AM

394 posts, read 1,504,710 times
OH....Roanoke Rapids. We were driving from Wilson, NC to State College PA (moved here tuesday!), and we were on I-95....and I told my husband, "Ewwwww, what is that smell????"..."Oh, that's just Roanoke Rapids" Paper mills....sorry, I could NOT live in the direct vicinity!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:05 AM

8,018 posts, read 8,230,228 times
Come on , guys ! Ya all know the best places in the NC are in the Blue Ridge Mts. Forget the other 500 miles to the east, its not for Northerners. You will not be welcome. There are a few exceptions, around the big cities, but , eather way, you can not beat the mountains, mild winters ( mostly), and cool, no bugs, no AC needed summers !..........and the views, like only a few places on earth !

Old 04-05-2007, 11:58 PM

22,003 posts, read 39,523,741 times
this thread has gotten so off topic

Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 13,579 times
Default a question about Lumberton

Hi, Meredithw:
My family and I are moving to Lumberton in August. Could you tell me positive or negative aspects of this place (crime rate, schooling, shopping facilities, etc.). Thank you much.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 13,579 times
Default Comments on Lumberton

Hi, Tarp:
Lumberton will soon be my place to live. My family and I will spend the next three years in this town, starting in August. What's your opinion about crime rate and schooling level in this town? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:16 AM

10 posts, read 91,229 times
We are thinking of moving to New Bern, NC. We are looking at Carolina Colours. We have 4 kids so schools are important. We will be moving from CT.
We will be looking for teaching and construction jobs.
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 10,500 times
After spending 2 quaters at the Art instute of Charlotte, i would have to say Charlotte is by far one of the top worst citys in North Carolina. the population of people there are not very friendly , in fact they are down right rude almost as if they go out of there way to be that way.UGG

Old 04-07-2007, 01:27 PM

10 posts, read 27,421 times
Our family is moving closer to our extended family in Lake Lure area... we have 4 school age children and want to find a good place to live... we can choose anything in NC.... wondering about Hillsborough and Wake Forest (I know they are small towns but would prefer not to be in the city). I read all about Cary and Apex and thought it would be a great choice although after reading all the threads I think I would have liked it 5 yrs earlier. Don't want to be in a hustling bustling rat race.... were from Michigan (Ypsilanti) and have loved it except for the weather. Any info would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina