U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2007, 03:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,986,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwages4 View Post
Our family is moving closer to our extended family in Lake Lure area... we have 4 school age children and want to find a good place to live... we can choose anything in NC.... wondering about Hillsborough and Wake Forest (I know they are small towns but would prefer not to be in the city). I read all about Cary and Apex and thought it would be a great choice although after reading all the threads I think I would have liked it 5 yrs earlier. Don't want to be in a hustling bustling rat race.... were from Michigan (Ypsilanti) and have loved it except for the weather. Any info would be appreciated!
If you are interested in Hillsborough and Wake Forest you may want to post over at Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary sub-forum...those areas are part of the Triangle and we have plenty of post about both of those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 PM

15 posts, read 59,106 times
Default No No to Roxborro!

Don't ever think about moving to Roxborro. I am not going to go into too many details, but I know somebody that lives there. VERY racist, unfriendly, and the people living there apparently havn't ever left the town limits. Its sad and irritating that people like that still exist in 2007. Half of the town has the same last name - CLAYTON. No joke! If you must drive through don't stop.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:07 PM

46 posts, read 184,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teressah View Post
I believe you, that is what these threads are for, to be honest and completely helpful for others here. If someone doesn't like what you say...oh well...
We are going to Hickory, to see relatives in Conover, for Thanksgiving! We are checking out: Hickory, Hendersonville, Asheville and Mooresville. Mooresville is as east as I will go.
Asheville sounds like a dream come true, if only my husband could get work there, he's a graphic artist. I do property management work. We have a 4 year old, so a nice suburb/city is important to us!!
What did you think of Hendersonville and Asheville??? We love the area. There's a lot of artistic communities in the area... anything that your husband's field would fit?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM

105 posts, read 287,114 times
Default What cities are considered to be the 'least desirable' in NC?

Out of curiosity....what NC cities (not towns, there are probably loads of those, we'd be here all day) are considered to be the least desirable? I'm guessing some of the ones in Eastern NC? I've liked all of the cities just about I've seen, each one of them seems pretty unique and has different things to offer but of course I don't really know about crime, school quality, etc. Usually when you hear about NC and the most 'desirable' cities it's always Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville and maybe Wilmington....so it got me thinking. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,546 times
Jacksonville could be added to the list also. Didn't like it there.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:13 PM

8 posts, read 24,506 times
You know, I get the sentiment about transplants. But some of us want the open space and not the cookie cutter, tiny plot homes. I used to live in NYC. I wanted more space, greenery, fresh air and peace, so I moved to a suburb. What I have noticed, though, is that my county is being overdeveloped and turning into an extension of NYC. So I'm heading south. My intention is to find as much land as possible that I can leave exactly as it is. Well, maybe plant some flowers and fruit trees and vegetables. I have no interest in a booming city or town. I don't want my neighbors to be 50 feet away from me. And I will be as vehement as any NC native about not wanting the area to be overdeveloped. I don't intend to move into a new home development, I want to move into a home that has existed for a number of years already.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 14,837 times
I have been looking on the web at places in Shelby, Morganton & Spindale any input. I am newly retired, hubby will join me in about 10 years. So I am looking for a project place that I can spend a month or so at a time at. Don't need schools, clubs or stores or even TV, would love the corner of a farm somewhere. Will be bringing at least 1 elderly parent along. Any suggestions?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 PM

22,081 posts, read 40,170,867 times
Shelby is cute town but it needs lots of love. I was there last week and the homes and area seem a little run down but cute older style homes that would look great renonvated. I think if someone was to invest in the area working on projects homes it might be a good turn around in the long term.

Saying that the city needs to work on the rift raft to improve the city image.
I am not sure of industry or jobs but it appear to be alot of positive traffic on the Monday morning I was there.

I cannot recommend the safe areas within the city and would be concern about you and your family.

I do think the city has alot of hope, The town is near some beautiful rolling country side especially between Shelby, Cherryville (pronounced Churvul) and Waco.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,179 times
Default What about Wilson,

Does anyone have any opinions, any information on the school system ranking, etc. Thinking about relocating soon.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:14 PM

16 posts, read 41,548 times
Fayetteville is not that bad. I wouldn't want to live there (i grew up there until 18) and can say the neighborhoods near downtown Haymount, etc are very attractive. Downtown continues to make significant progress. The city definitely has problems with crime and is not nearly as cultured as the triangle and charlotte. I am casting my vote for the worst city in NC as Gastonia. My reasoning is that people could easily live in Charlotte or closeby but chose gastonia. I don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina