U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-27-2008, 07:00 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,003,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Girl View Post
Durham has lots of crime, drugs and gangs.
That's true about certain pockets of Durham, but it definitely doesn't apply to the entire town. I know because I actually live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-28-2008, 04:01 PM

635 posts, read 1,677,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Girl View Post
Gastonia and Sanford are two more places that suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

We are recent transplants to Sanford from San Jose, CA by way of a year in Cary, and we couldn't disagree more.

Do a search here on City-Data for Sanford and you'll find that Sanford has a lot to offer, and is ideally placed mid-way between all of the major central NC metro areas.

I believe Sanford is poised for significant growth and investment.

We have kids, 13, 10, and 4, and we've been no more disappointed with Sanford schools than elsewhere.

If you like a mid-sized(almost small city) feel, but want access to everything a big city can offer, Sanford is a good compromise.

Plus, if you are a golfer, we've got one of the top 10 courses in the nation, Tobacco Road.

Al

Unread 06-02-2008, 01:53 AM

8 posts, read 24,032 times
Default May I use this speech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Here's some southern hospitality for you.... Do you need any boxes for your move?

Raeford isn't exactly what one would call a cultural center. I'm having a hard time seeing a town with a Turkey Festival also having a sold-out performance of Les Miserables.

Contrary to your belief, most native North Carolinaians are far more open-minded than you appear to be in your post. I'm a native and I would consider myself to be, at the very least, somewhat open-minded.

If you really do believe you lost any IQ points, and I'll say this with a comparable tone to yours, go the hell back to wherever you came from and get them back.

More souther hospitality......y'ant some gas fer yer U-haul?

And for anyone who thinks I'm being harsh, I probably am being a little over-the-top. But, I have been hearing about how great "where we came from" is and how "we" did it "back home."

I'm sorry, but if it's so great back home, and things were run so much better, GO BACK!
As a native Mississippian, I would LOVE!LOVE!LOVE! to quote you word for word on some of our threads (and face to face to some).

I am on this site as I have recently found that an old family homestead is for sale in Pink Hill, Duplin Co.. NC. I have been trying to find some info, but it seems to be too small for people to speak of on these and other sites. The homesite is in dire need of repair and I am single and finishing up nursing school. Just trying to figure out if this would be a good move or not.

From one Southerner to another...Thanks, y'all!

Unread 06-12-2008, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,881 times
Default Worst Town in NC.

By far the worst city-town is Kinston. Economically depressed. The county is run by corrupt individuals. You get a feeling of depression just going through it.

Unread 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 9,908 times
Grifton is the absolute worst town in NC. It is almost a ghost town. There is nothing to do here. The lights go out at 9:00 at night. There are no places to eat other than Andy's or Greg's. The schools are awful. There is a very small service station where you may get your automoble serviced just good enough to get you over to the next town where it can really be fixed. Be warned. Stay away.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-10-2008 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Removed derogatory terms.

Unread 08-03-2008, 08:45 AM

46 posts, read 171,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethlovesFranklin View Post
I am a resident of Franklin NC and have lived in Florida and Eastern NC as well. The people here are genuine, kind and accepting. Prejudice exists everywhere but the pure love of God and Country can't be compared to the Western NC mountains. There is a real sense of family here and great pride in our children. Church is an integral part of the lives of our neighbors and they show their faith by helping others. Yes the sidewalks roll up on Sunday but we like it that way and invite others looking for a simple and peaceful lifestyle to join us.

Have to agree... that is the impression I've gotten of the western part. My sister lives in Brevard, NC and has found friendly, helpful people in her time of need. We plan to move there as soon as we sell our property in NJ which looks like it will be a few years from now.

Unread 08-07-2008, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,531 times
I was going to post how much I hated Raeford and North Carolina in general but, leavingnc- your post sums it up perfectly. I have lived in other parts of the south and in other parts of the United States. NC has got to be the worst place I have ever lived in my entire life. They're all still fighting the civil war. The natives hear someone speak without a southern accent and they automatically treat them like crap. I suppose I should "go back to where I came from." A comment that can only be made by those not intelligent enough to realize that this is the kind of attitude which drives the negative stereotypes of the south. I'm seen as a white person from the north- not an American. So, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to where I came from so I can actually breathe the air in the summer and not worry about being jumped by gang bangers on my way out to the mailbox.

Last edited by cracker the yankee; 08-07-2008 at 05:36 PM..

Unread 08-07-2008, 08:17 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,114,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker the yankee View Post
I was going to post how much I hated Raeford and North Carolina in general but, leavingnc- your post sums it up perfectly. I have lived in other parts of the south and in other parts of the United States. NC has got to be the worst place I have ever lived in my entire life. They're all still fighting the civil war. The natives hear someone speak without a southern accent and they automatically treat them like crap. I suppose I should "go back to where I came from." A comment that can only be made by those not intelligent enough to realize that this is the kind of attitude which drives the negative stereotypes of the south. I'm seen as a white person from the north- not an American. So, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to where I came from so I can actually breathe the air in the summer and not worry about being jumped by gang bangers on my way out to the mailbox.
So the gangbangers in NC get upset because you don't talk with a southern accent? I don't know where you lived here, but my experience in Raleigh is nothing like you discribe what so ever. What part of the state did you live in and in what other areas of the South did you live in?

Unread 08-08-2008, 12:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,653,114 times
*sigh* Don't ya just hate generalizations? They're never accurate.

Unread 08-25-2008, 10:56 PM

206 posts, read 471,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_as_dana View Post

I am on this site as I have recently found that an old family homestead is for sale in Pink Hill, Duplin Co.. NC. I have been trying to find some info, but it seems to be too small for people to speak of on these and other sites. The homesite is in dire need of repair and I am single and finishing up nursing school. Just trying to figure out if this would be a good move or not.

From one Southerner to another...Thanks, y'all!
Pink Hill? Well... if you're looking for a rural setting, you found it. I live out in the stix in a neighboring county, but Pink Hill qualifies as the back of beyond. Funny thing though, I always thought it was located in Lenoire county (not sure if I spelled the name right...). Anyway... if you move there, be prepared for lots of pine trees, farms ( including hog farms), swampy areas, and small towns. The nearest towns that I can think of would be Beulaville and Richlands. Major shopping trips would probably be to either Kinston (18 miles) or Jacksonville ( 30 miles). The economy in Kinston is kind of so-so, but might improve if the Global Transpark ever takes off. Jacksonville's economy is improving, mainly due to nearby military bases. Goldsboro is another possibility for work or shopping. As a nurse, you might be able to find employment in smaller towns, otherwise you might be looking at a 20-30 mile commute.

Hope you find what you're looking for, good luck!

Last edited by Sleestak; 08-25-2008 at 11:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina