U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,632 times
Greenville is absolutely horrible if you are single and a young professional. There is no real place to meet new people. When I moved here 4 years ago for my job, I was shocked at how rude people are here. I grew up Hillsborough, NC lets just say there is an obvious difference in manners. I would also like to say the way people act here is not based on transplants but rather the locals that live here all their lives.
Plus for being a small city (if you can call it that) it is really unsafe. It seems silly but there are a lot of gang issues here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 7,395 times
Default Grifton

Very poor management, Their answer to being unable to balance the town budget is to of course to raise taxes on every item they could stroke the pen to. Already one of the highest town tax rates in the area and going higher still.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:10 AM

589 posts, read 1,659,282 times
I was born and raised in NC and I have to say, I am not impressed with any of the towns/cities I have been too, except maybe Manteo. But on the other hand, I heard Manteo has really bad "underground" drug problem.

Let's be honest people, none of the cities in NC are really that appealing.

I have to say the worst city in NC (in my opinion) is a tie between Fayetteville and Jacksonville.

I grew up in Fayetteville and the biggest problem with the city is the large transient population due to Fort Bragg.

Anytime you have people coming and going, you will never be able to "clean up" a city and make it a nice place.

I think I would rather do hard labor in China than live in Fayetteville...

Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM

168 posts, read 258,309 times
We are moving to Greenville in a few weeks (Fingers Crossed) if everything goes as planned. We are from NJ, (well my dad is originally from CA) but we plan to throw any NJ ideals out the window, we ADORE Greenville and the way they do things, otherwise we wouldn't be moving there! I am going to be a high school Junior, and I am very outgoing. We shouldn't have any problems, right? Oh, and my dad found a job in Rocky Mount, and although we don't dislike it there, we would rather be in Greenville so he will be commuting.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,800,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Yadkinville
You can't get more redneck, trashy, and just plain depressin' than that place.
Well........actually you can. Many years ago the town of Smithfield had this big billboard, it said "Welcome to Smithfield, This is Klan Country" with large crossed confederate flags on the right side of the billboard. I don't know if that billboard is still there or not, but, that is beside the point. Any town that agreed with that type of advertising isn't really interested in having me around, and I'm a white guy.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 PM

800 posts, read 1,920,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well........actually you can. Many years ago the town of Smithfield had this big billboard, it said "Welcome to Smithfield, This is Klan Country" with large crossed confederate flags on the right side of the billboard. I don't know if that billboard is still there or not, but, that is beside the point. Any town that agreed with that type of advertising isn't really interested in having me around, and I'm a white guy.
1st...it's not there...

2nd...the city didn't put it there...some idiots did.....

3rd...the city couldn't do anything about it--"free speech"

Old 07-25-2010, 01:22 PM

15 posts, read 14,566 times
Originally Posted by GeekLady
Durham (the "crack" capital of the state) and
Fayette-nam

Wow, that's ignorant. I was born and raised in Durham NC and despite all the hype and negative comments surrounding Durham, I was never once shot at or feared for my life while walking by myself or bombarded by drug dealers about crack. Durham is a great city which will only get better in the years to come. Sure, it's got its problems but so does everywhere else.
I digress...

As far as worst cities to live in North Carolina, I'd go with Boone, I was there for a year at Appstate and it was awful..., definitely a college town with not much to offer but beautiful mountain views, which is not a great reason to stay there. I live right outside Asheville now, Weaverville NC to be exact. Even still, the houses and apartments here and in surrounding Asheville are ridiculously overpriced. I look forward to graduating college and going somewhere bigger outside of state. IMHO, I don't really consider Asheville a "city"...it seems a much smaller place once you are here and doesn't really live up to the hype that surrounds it. Not too much diversity in Asheville either, which I also find quite dissapointing.
But to each their own, I suppose.

Last edited by bluesuerte; 07-25-2010 at 01:32 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,997,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfever View Post
Greenville is absolutely horrible if you are single and a young professional. There is no real place to meet new people. When I moved here 4 years ago for my job, I was shocked at how rude people are here. I grew up Hillsborough, NC lets just say there is an obvious difference in manners. I would also like to say the way people act here is not based on transplants but rather the locals that live here all their lives.
Plus for being a small city (if you can call it that) it is really unsafe. It seems silly but there are a lot of gang issues here.
Curious about your young professionals comment. What would you want to see here? I know there is a gap in between college aged and middle aged. Plus there are a lot of transplants here, so that could be the source of the rudeness. Most people I've met from here are nice folks

Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 AM

443 posts, read 1,005,453 times
Quote:
Most people I've met from here are nice folks
I agree. Maybe it's just my rediculously charming personality, though.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,040 times
I have to agree with the post about Marion NC. This place is a joke of a town,we moved here from Asheville to get away from the freaks up there but as always hindsight is 20/20 . I cant wait to leave this miserable town. Yes disability is the largest employer second to the Meth amphetamine labs, turns out for a hick town there are a lot of chemists here. You have to drive thirty to fourty five minutes for shopping or anything to eat traffic is terrible especially at the first of the month when everybody gets "there check" and Walmart is packed. In a nutshell if your milking the system or into Meth amphetamines this is a paradise for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina