Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:33 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

What about the towns in western N.C.? Are there any there anyone would not recomend and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 PM

9 posts, read 92,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clazzegirl View Post
I would say Greesnboro is the worst that I can think of. Tooooo much crime and getting worst every year. I lived there for 4 years before moving somewhere else
Agreed.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 92,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
What about the towns in western N.C.? Are there any there anyone would not recomend and why.
The only western town I could speak of is Shelby in Cleveland County I have lived there (now living in Princeville) for 9 years and to tell you the truth crime is getting out of hand there if you ask me. Thats why I had to leave...

Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 PM

13 posts, read 125,565 times
Raleigh......they steal hockey teams there.......ok,ok just a joke (but you do)

Old 10-28-2006, 11:14 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,536 times
In western North Carolina, I might tend to avoid Canton because of the flooding and the paper mill stench.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:49 AM

41 posts, read 165,578 times
Default Winston Salem

Hi.
Just an out-of-towner's 2 nickles:

I found W-S to be very artsy and hilly. A lot of loft/expensive construction going on downtown. Huge revitilization.

This may sound goofy but a while back I thought, "How bad can it be? Maya Angelou lives there."

Nevertheless it is artsy and sure, there are a lot of run-down areas but beautiful areas as well. To get a feel/look, try realtor.com if you haven't already.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
But forget Rocky Mount.....There is nothing there!

Greenville and Winston Salem out of that list are your best choices. My choice would b Winston though.
I wouldn't say there's nothing in Rocky Mount, but coming from Detroit it would probably seem that way. It is the smallest of the 3 cities mentioned, population approx. 50,000, but it does have a relatively bad drug problem for a city of it's size. The close proximity of I-95 has a lot to do with it. There are nice parts of town, but downtown isn't one of them. Sunset lake is a nice city park, with the adjacent old power plant that houses a restaurant or 2. US 301 corridor has most of your run of the mill stores and restaurants, with a decent mall for a city of it's size. Flooding along the Tar River was horrendous there in '99 from Hurricane Floyd, but there aren't many areas in the coastal plain can handle 20" of rain in 24 hours due to the topography.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post
I wouldn't say there's nothing in Rocky Mount, but coming from Detroit it would probably seem that way. It is the smallest of the 3 cities mentioned, population approx. 50,000, but it does have a relatively bad drug problem for a city of it's size. The close proximity of I-95 has a lot to do with it. There are nice parts of town, but downtown isn't one of them. Sunset lake is a nice city park, with the adjacent old power plant that houses a restaurant or 2. US 301 corridor has most of your run of the mill stores and restaurants, with a decent mall for a city of it's size. Flooding along the Tar River was horrendous there in '99 from Hurricane Floyd, but there aren't many areas in the coastal plain can handle 20" of rain in 24 hours due to the topography.

I understand

You are from Rocky Mount. So you have a soft spot for the city. I am from Wilson, and I also have a soft spot for my home town.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 14,963 times
Default Fayetteville isn't so bad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I'd have to agree about Fayetteville. Use to visit inlaws in the millitary there and hated the feel of the area. I sort of hate answering questions like this because 99% or the time, someone from that area will read this and become offended. But I also understand wanting/needing to know this information.
Hello. I live in Fayetteville. I've noticed a lot of dislikes for the town but it's not so bad. Yes, it is a military town and it's getting a little over crowded everyday, but it has it's perks. Where else would you get to meet so many people with different backgrounds, different races, different creeds, etc....I love meeting so many different people, especially meeting the heros that are sacrificing their lives for us! It's a big melting pot. The only way I agree with Fayetteville being the "worst" is the fact that we are slacking on a "city like" enviornment. Downtown Fayetteville is renovating (and it's long overdue), so we are slowly moving with progress. Our town as a variety of people that I must say is delightful to meet on a daily basis......

Old 11-19-2006, 06:28 PM

131 posts, read 188,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyeyez View Post
Hello. I live in Fayetteville. I've noticed a lot of dislikes for the town but it's not so bad. Yes, it is a military town and it's getting a little over crowded everyday, but it has it's perks. Where else would you get to meet so many people with different backgrounds, different races, different creeds, etc....I love meeting so many different people, especially meeting the heros that are sacrificing their lives for us! It's a big melting pot. The only way I agree with Fayetteville being the "worst" is the fact that we are slacking on a "city like" enviornment. Downtown Fayetteville is renovating (and it's long overdue), so we are slowly moving with progress. Our town as a variety of people that I must say is delightful to meet on a daily basis......
why do you list these
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina