U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 PM

1,039 posts, read 555,312 times
Okay, you guys are scaring me!

We are thinking of retiring in WNC from the Southwest. We have only explored the WNC areas, and when i hear that MOST of East NC is ghetto, I get concerned. Could you please qualify that?

I have lived in 5 different states, and have certainly seen poor and run down areas and some hard-core ghetto areas in all of them. But never to the extent you guys describe in NC. But I have never traveled nor lived in the SE before--so is this going to be a huge culture shock, and are you talking HARD-CORE ghetto or just the majority of NC is run down areas?

We have driven thru most of WNC and poorer areas that we saw were modest and well-kept and didn't look ghetto or crime/drug ridden (unless we missed something), and we don't want to live in some faux-rich disneyland McMansion county either. So is WNC way different in that respect than the rest of NC? It sounds like you are describing a few wealthy golf or beach communities surrounded by an ocean of extreme poverty in the rest of NC.

Do you think we need to take the time and spend the $$ to travel all over NC to get the real picture so we won't be shocked and think we made a big mistake moving to NC even though apparently WNC is somewhat isolated from the ghetto parts?

Were any of you transplants (other than SE) shocked when moving to NC and seeing all the ghetto they describe in above posts??
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM

3,271 posts, read 726,723 times
There's definitely places which suck, but it's not that bad compared to similar parts of the deep south. The poorer parts of the southwest (i.e. reservations) are in much worse shape, and the worst ghetto ghetto is nothing compared to places up north destroyed by white flight. Everyone here doing the complaining thinks anything that isn't a Stepford Wife style McSuburb with a Harris Teeter and golf course every few miles is Downtown Mogadishu.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM

6,369 posts, read 5,715,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Were any of you transplants (other than SE) shocked when moving to NC and seeing all the ghetto they describe in above posts??
No, I wasn't shocked, and I haven't seen anything as bad as Baltimore or Bridgeport, CT. Yes, there is poverty in rural areas, but I saw worse in the Indian Reservations out west.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,413,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Where do you expect lower-income or retired people to live? I lived in a mobile home as a kid, and found it much better than a boarding house or apartment in the city. A mobile home gives a family some open space and independence at a low price.
My comment actually goes back to the attitude that a lot of people have. They claim that all of the poor people live in the east. I have actually defended the mobile home lifestyle in the past and will continue to do so.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 AM

85 posts, read 95,109 times
Do you think we need to take the time and spend the $$ to travel all over NC to get the real picture so we won't be shocked and think we made a big mistake moving to NC even though apparently WNC is somewhat isolated from the ghetto parts?

MountainRose, as a NC native, I think you're getting a way overblown portrait about how bad parts of the state are. The problem comes from when people who live in the urbanized areas (Charlotte, the Triad and the Triangle principally) head to the beach and go through towns between I-95 and the coast that have been severely hit by the economic downturn on the way, and they notice the rundown downtowns and make assumptions about the quality of life in those areas, from Tarboro and Elizabeth City in the north to Kinston off U.S. 70 to Chadbourne and Tabor City in the south, among many others. These are not places the urbanites would choose to live in anyway, but the fact that they have shuttered windows and doors when you drive past them make them appear their better days are long behind them. These areas will have less political clout in the future due to declining populations, lack of quality education & jobs, etc. It's been a failure both of state and local leaders to reduce their dependence on tobacco and mill jobs in these areas, and now they are struggling bad. I wouldn't call them ghettos, just areas that can improve if leaders are willing to make massive changes in their attitudes and approach to sustaining them. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening soon, so I don't expect much growth and needed improvements will occur in these areas.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM

3,884 posts, read 2,582,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I think the turning point for ENC was when I-95 opened. Prior to that most of the north/south traffic traveled on US 301. And right through the middle of a whole lot of towns. People saw these towns and other parts of ENC. They spent money there and maybe even some invested money into homes and businesses. I-95 opened up and all of that local traffic disappeared virtually overnight. Combine that with the mechanization of farming and the un-industrialization of the country as a whole and you have what you see today. And don't forget to throw in some entitlements for those who didn't work for those entitlements.
I have only traveled in and around NC going to Charlotte and the Outer Banks but, from what I see and have seen, the above post is spot on. Good observation. I like NC but, I know it has drawbacks, just like 100 other places I've seen.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 AM

1,039 posts, read 555,312 times
Thank you all for clarifying and posting some "reality" about ghetto NC.

I was getting a distorted view from all those posts--It sounds like "ghetto" is being misused to describe poor areas in general. To me ghetto means massive amounts of decrepit housing projects or beat up trailers and shacks that no one is caring for with a majority of druggies, gangs, thugs, and the only businesses open being tattoo parlors, pawn shops, prostitution, and liquor stores . Glad to hear that the majority of NC is NOT THAT !

We travel a lot, and sadly, we are frequently seeing so many cities suffering with cutbacks to services, roads, infrastructure, businesses boarded up, weeds and potholes sprouting up, cars abandoned and left by the side of the road.
It is very sobering to drive thru many parts of the U.S. right now--what you are describing happening economically in NC is happening all over. I hope we can all pull together and start turning this around soon.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM

1,944 posts, read 1,223,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
and the worst ghetto ghetto is nothing compared to places up north destroyed by white flight.
Wow -- this is completely misinformed. These places were not "destroyed by white flight." Rather, they were destroyed by the loss of jobs for people of all races, by the unsavory way of life of the remaining inhabitants, and by the destruction of the public school systems by well meaning liberals. I saw it happen to Baltimore, inch by inch, first hand, and up close in the 1960's-1970's. We are fortunate indeed that this is not much of a factor in North Carolina.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:40 PM

3,271 posts, read 726,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Wow -- this is completely misinformed. These places were not "destroyed by white flight." Rather, they were destroyed by the loss of jobs for people of all races, by the unsavory way of life of the remaining inhabitants, and by the destruction of the public school systems by well meaning liberals. I saw it happen to Baltimore, inch by inch, first hand, and up close in the 1960's-1970's. We are fortunate indeed that this is not much of a factor in North Carolina.
My friend, your not-so-subtle racial remark on "unsavory ways of life" aside, you are only pointing out effects of deindustrialization, which occurred concurrent with suburbanization forces. My phd research was on comparative depopulation in industrialized urban regions, and I'll be happy to walk you through the basic literature and research through private messages so as not to derail this thread. But suffice to say, you have a very limited perspective on the matter.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 AM

1,944 posts, read 1,223,025 times
Yes, my experience is limited -- I only lived through one of the classic cases of a once-great city becoming a dysfunctional slum. You should have been there. But I disagree with you as to the cause and therefore I am a racist. Before we get into tutorial mode and walk through a stack of papers, however, think a little about the difference between causation and correlation. Suffice it to say that people who do their doctoral research in real science as opposed to fields characterized by politicized wishful thinking usually get the distinction right away.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 07-30-2011 at 04:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina