Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWoman View Post
A friend I made while living in FL who was a Greensboro native, and this guy is a total hillybilly said in his own words that Greensboro is the armpit of America, so that is what I know about that town!

Stay away from the entire county of Catawba! So boring and plain! Not to mention NO job openings, unless you are a truck driver! And keep your daughters away from ANY hillybilly towns...their utimate goal in life is to get pregnant and live on welfare!! So sick and sad...Ive seen it and my native friends tell me that is true.

Basicly, any sterotypes about southerns is all true. I can say that honestly now.

Cary and Huntersville, Huntersville is near Charlotte, is 'northerized' as we northerners call it, a nice "forward thinking" place to live. Quaint with nature.... but alive as well.
If it is so barbaric and backwards here, why are you still here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWoman View Post
A friend I made while living in FL who was a Greensboro native, and this guy is a total hillybilly said in his own words that Greensboro is the armpit of America, so that is what I know about that town!
Sometimes, where you are born/raised is not the best fit. I was raised in the St. Louis area; lived in that part of the country for the first 30 years of my life. Having lived in NC for two decades, I dread having to go back. Hearing from my family ("you guys haven't been back here in a long time. when are you planning to come back HOME - to them, that place is our "home" - for a visit?") and planning an obligatory trip turns me into a whiny 5-year-old. "Ohhh do we hafta go? I doan wanna. I don't like that place. Why can't they come see us. I hate the Midwest. The drive is toooo long. I'll miss the trees. It's fall in the mountains. I wanna go see that instead. My stomach hurts. Seeeee, just the thought of going back makes me ill. I doan wannnna go!"

Quote:
Stay away from the entire county of Catawba! So boring and plain! Not to mention NO job openings, unless you are a truck driver! And keep your daughters away from ANY hillybilly towns...their utimate goal in life is to get pregnant and live on welfare!! So sick and sad...
Nuts.

We heard a lot of Gastonia jokes when we first moved here: "I'm marrying this 19-year-old girl from Gastonia. She says I have to adopt her two kids" but that stereotype is universal. Show me some stats that say NC is worse than any other state in this regard.

Quote:
Ive seen it and my native friends tell me that is true.
Heh. Your native "friends" are probably sick of your whining, feed you a lot of crap like that to incite more whining, and then laugh at you. I've lived here long enough to learn the little at-bats the natives use against the transplants who move down here then spend all their time cutting down the place.

Quote:
Cary and Huntersville, Huntersville is near Charlotte, is 'northerized' as we northerners call it, a nice "forward thinking" place to live. Quaint with nature.... but alive as well.
Places remade in the image of areas transplants have fled. If where you come from is so bad you want to leave, why in the hell did you want to recreate it in another spot? You'll just end up bringing the same old bad s*** with you

Reading nonsense like yours, I am ever more glad we insisted on NOT living in a Transplantville when our employers relocated us. Despite what our co-workers urged ("hey! you ought to live in XXXX subdivision, that's where all the XXXX employees are settling. it's a neat place!") and the realtor assigned to us ("this is where all YOUR people are moving. I'll bet you'll be happy living here, where all the OTHERS LIKE YOU have chosen to live") we picked an area where there were (at that time) fewer transplants. When circumstances forced another move we, again, looked for an area that had a higher native/transplant ratio. Coupled with the attitude "if we are going to move to NC, we want to live in NC; not ghetto and isolate ourselves from the people who make NC what it is; it has made for an easier adjustment. Certainly the area is somewhat different from where we came from; I don't see why it should be the same; we embraced those differences and realized that we would become more diverse, interesting people from learning to adapt. In affect, we have become Hybrid NCers, rather than Midwesterners-who-live-in-NC. [note: Hybrid. Hmmm. I think I'm going to use that term to distinguish those who come down here and embrace this life, vs Transplant - one who moves down here then whines about how different things are from "back where I came from."]

If we ever decide to leave NC, it will be because we're surrounded by transplants who distinguish themselves as such and want to see this state become a clone of where they came from; those people who can't see the good things that already exist here and accept the changes that make this state different from the one they left. I doubt that'll happen, we'll just move farther out. And you can be sure the first thing we'll ask about a new area: how many transplants live here?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 AM

14 posts, read 141,961 times
Thumbs up OP Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
Fayetteville and Durham

ill probably be jumped all over, because everytime i mention durham I am...but oh well. its just my opinion...lol

Hey everyone..OP here...it has been so long since I posted this question and I thought you would all like to know that we chose to live in North Durham. After extensive research, we learned that Durham is a beautiful, artsy, exciting, diverse, historic and friendly place to live. We live in an absolutely beautiful community and have been welcomed with gifts and hugs--yes, HUGS. My husband also works in East Durham (gasp!!) and that is supposed to be the "bad area"! We always say that East Durham is like Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood compared to the bad areas of our native New Jersey/Philly!! Moderator cut: removed Best wishes to you all!

Last edited by autumngal; 01-21-2008 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: flame

Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 AM

10 posts, read 45,812 times
Default What????

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
I'd Say Johnston county, redneck, racial, Little growth. I also agree Greensboro is pretty bad. Burlington and Caswell Cnty not too bad. Have visited Ashville Maggie Valley, and I would perfer there over most. Although, I like the Ocean towns too. I'd say if your into real estate Ashville would be good.
don't you know that johnston is one of the state and nations fastest growing counties, Clayton is one of Money magazines 50 boom towns for the next decade? yeah southern Johnston is alittle backwater sometimes but get a clue here. Northern Johnston county is a fabulous place to live. But I have to admit the worst place in N.C to live may possibly be Smithfield except for the shopping it's no so good. 2nd worst place would probably be BURLINGTON>

Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 AM

10 posts, read 45,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If it is so barbaric and backwards here, why are you still here?
CARY= Central Area Relocated Yanks CLAYTON= Cary Like Area Yanks To Own Next! both great places to live!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 PM

159 posts, read 608,891 times
pumpkin,

Welcome to Durham! Way to think for yourself!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
I see Eastern Carolina get beat up a lot for being the poorest part of the state. A little known fact is that 2/3 of the poorest counties in the state are west of I-95. East Carolina has some very bright spots. New Bern, Wilmington, Greenville, The Outer Banks and Oriental to name a few. Wages are going up, real estate is still appreciating and unemployment is down.

You can't keep beating the same area down but for so long before somebody starts to notice the deals and bargains to be had. High tech is on the way here and when the industry gets tired of paying the high prices that are demanded out west they will see the east as the new direction to go.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I see Eastern Carolina get beat up a lot for being the poorest part of the state. A little known fact is that 2/3 of the poorest counties in the state are west of I-95.
That may be very true, but you are painting a very inaccurate picture. East of I95 there are 24 counties: West of I95 there are 76 counties.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That may be very true, but you are painting a very inaccurate picture. East of I95 there are 24 counties: West of I95 there are 76 counties.
That is true but...

If you take the Charlotte and Raleigh metro areas out of the western part you end up with pretty much the same thing as the east.

Almost everywhere I've ever been is just like this. The "wealth" is concentrated around the population hubs.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 20,667 times
Default best towns to live in western nc

murphy

andrews

franklin

maggie valley

waynesville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina