Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM

22 posts, read 70,414 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ahoskie... which I just moved to a month ago, and wish I could take that back. Just another economically depressed dump with rundown stores, but with lots of growth potential, the people there are just too complacent and seem to fear change. Unless you work in healthcare, you can't find a job anywhere nearby that pays well enough to get by it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:43 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,187,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Law View Post
You're asking for specific towns to avoid but you need to be more observant of areas on a regional scale.

Really, what you want to avoid, are areas where the commerce/growth potential is minimal.
Because-? Personally that sounds good to me (to an exent, anyway) because I don't want to buy a place and not too many years later find it becoming over-commercialized or over-populated. I WANT more of a quiet, rural feel. Also, how is someone to know which areas that describes?

Quote:
You will want to avoid places where the main source of income is largely manufacturing/mill/industrial work, towns where the education level is marginal, and towns that were once fed by the railway system but which are located far from any of the towns that are now experiencing growth. Many times, these things go hand in hand. I hate to say it about my home state but this covers a fair amount of towns here. These towns are experiencing the "place that time forgot" syndrome.

You do have to be careful because these towns especially have crime in schools; with kids carrying guns and knives and so forth. The list is too large to really compile.
Oh great. Well pls, any starters on that list appreciated.

Quote:
Towns that are in the deep rural "Down East" area is where you will find many of these "post Eastern Seaboard" towns. Don't forget about the hog lagoons down there too!
?? So you're saying generally avoid eastern NC? And what the **** is a "hog lagoon" - ?

Quote:
If you want to get technical, and you should since you are thinking about moving your family here, get a NC map and a compass and do "radial checks" around the towns here that you know are growing. Give yourself an area to hunt. Then, come on down and do field research. Talk to people. Get brochures. Bring a camera and take pictures. I think that is the best way to find which places you should avoid.
Probably. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near feasible for most - it's not like we can just drop everything and casually cruise around the entire state. That's why we're hoping to get some good info here..........

Quote:
Oh, and if you stop by my house while you're down here I've got a southern pulled pork BBQ family recipe that'll knock your socks off.
Now yer talkin.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Winston-Salem is a very nice town. Yes, they have their bad areas,
As does ANY city or town. How much is question.....ie is there more compared to other NC cities or areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcity View Post
don't shop at the Wal-mart always full of trash
color me shocked.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsoncg View Post
Add Greenville, NC to list.........................
Because......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheel07 View Post
also, add pinetops, macclesfield and nashville to that list
Because.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWoman View Post
Stay away from the entire county of Catawba! So boring and plain! Not to mention NO job openings, unless you are a truck driver!
Charlotte doesn't appear that far away, so not getting this....?

Quote:
Basicly, any sterotypes about southerns is all true. I can say that honestly now.
THERE, maybe. Generally speaking, hardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
If we ever decide to leave NC, it will be because we're surrounded by transplants who distinguish themselves as such and want to see this state become a clone of where they came from; those people who can't see the good things that already exist here and accept the changes that make this state different from the one they left. I doubt that'll happen, we'll just move farther out. And you can be sure the first thing we'll ask about a new area: how many transplants live here?
Bravo, well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick0427 View Post
the worst place in N.C to live may possibly be Smithfield except for the shopping it's no so good. 2nd worst place would probably be BURLINGTON>
Because.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Raleigh View Post
Love Wake Forest!
Because......

Old 05-18-2008, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 11,171 times
Default NC is good

However, there are many towns that time forgot. Pink Hill for instance.
BUT, there are towns that have charm.
I think you just have to look around and find something you like.
It's like the old saying, "There's no place like home", and many who were born and raised here, like it here. Many who weren't, don't. Isn't that how most people are?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,252 times
I am a resident of Franklin NC and have lived in Florida and Eastern NC as well. The people here are genuine, kind and accepting. Prejudice exists everywhere but the pure love of God and Country can't be compared to the Western NC mountains. There is a real sense of family here and great pride in our children. Church is an integral part of the lives of our neighbors and they show their faith by helping others. Yes the sidewalks roll up on Sunday but we like it that way and invite others looking for a simple and peaceful lifestyle to join us.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:02 AM

9 posts, read 37,553 times
Roanoke Rapids is one of the worst places in the state as well as Gaston, Weldon, Jackson. Sorry to have to tell you this. High rate of high school drop outs. And as most of you know if folks do not finish school we taxpayers get to provide for them. I was born southern (Virginia), but will be the first to tell you that I love northerners. They bring a lot of class/knowledge to the South. Both of my children married yanks! Woo hoo!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:05 AM

I really like Wake Forest, Nashville, Spring Hope, and many other southern towns. We owned a house in Hillsborough for several years. I was not impressed with Hillsborough. JMO!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:16 AM

And mousehair's post is very, very honest! I put my children in private schools because NC schools suck royally. Raleigh, Charlotte and Asheville are better for sure. Durham has lots of crime, drugs and gangs.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:27 AM

Gastonia and Sanford are two more places that suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina