Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
The big picture fix would be to completely disassemble Wake County PSS and build anew. I for one feel strongly that Wake County should be chopped up into smaller districts. The needs of folks in Cary are quite different than those in Clayton, in Garner, etc. Cary should be its own district. Raleigh proper should be it's own. Clayton/Garner and south, etc.
I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the thinking behind it is that if you do that, the folks living in Cary (for example) will have a much nicer school system due to the money that lives over there. Garner would have a comparatively poorer base.

They also want to diversify the schools, to prevent "inner city" schools from happening (again just a guess).

NH ran into this problem many years ago when the smaller outlying towns sued because they lacked the tax base to properly run their system. As a result, money is pooled and then divided up to those who need it more. The wealthier areas pay more than they get, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
That's why I said "if you're talking politically". I didn't make any assertions about fiscal conservatism and you weren't clear in your original statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You've obviously never been to NH. They are the epitome of limited government.

One can be a conservative in terms of limited government/taxes/etc but still err on the liberal side of the "human" equation. And it's generally the wealther states that do this.

This circles back to what I was saying before. Faux News wants people to believe the rich are republican, and are stark conservatives.

This is simply not the case, and in fact the truth is almost the opposite. 8/10 times (guessing), the poorer southern states are the red states.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:29 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,017 times
Quote:
I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the thinking behind it is that if you do that, the folks living in Cary (for example) will have a much nicer school system due to the money that lives over there. Garner would have a comparatively poorer base.

They also want to diversify the schools, to prevent "inner city" schools from happening (again just a guess).

NH ran into this problem many years ago when the smaller outlying towns sued because they lacked the tax base to properly run their system. As a result, money is pooled and then divided up to those who need it more. The wealthier areas pay more than they get, etc.
Yes that would be an issue but I'm sure there would be a way to allocate funding between the pseudo-districts almost the same way revenue sharing works between big-market and small-market baseball teams. Of course we are heading into a monster topic of its own. There isn't an easy way or doable way to fix the system so I can't see any other option other than raising taxes.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 4,904 times
Default Very concerned

Hello,
I may be relocating to NC with my family and my son will be starting HS. We are looking in the Raleigh area and I'm very concerned over the comments in regards to the schools? Are there any recommendations in regards to a good HS? I think we will be looking int Leesville High but are open to any suggestions or recommendations. Thank you very much!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 4,904 times
Question Looking for a HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, but I do know there was a time when North Carolina's school system was a shining example for others. The current legislature put an end to that, and now teachers are leaving for other states just so they can make ends meet. It's shameful.

CARY: Wake Co. teacher resigns in email over low pay - WNCN: News, Weather for Raleigh. Durham, Fayetteville

Hello,
My name is Diane and I may be moving to NC with my family in the next few months. My son will be starting HS and I was hoping you can recommend or give a suggestion for a school? The company is in Durham but we are thinking of looking in the area of Raleigh or maybe Cary?? Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks so much

Old 03-18-2014, 02:55 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Why are you focusing only on social services? Do cronies that receive hefty government contracts for doing nothing count too?
Just one of many, I would never argue against the crony point. Very obvious and corrupt.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
try to let that go for a second, because first you've presented no facts and second it's irrelevant how many "illegals" live in a state.

if you lived in socal, you would not even be disputing the large population of illegals since it is as obvious as the sun shining.. it should also be obvious that these folks are working under the table, cash only and are eligible to receive benefits as well.

why? Because the voters/elected officials authorize the spending. See texas, $420 per citizen in welfare even with a huge population (seemingly) of non-us citizens. In fact, california and texas are pretty much neck and neck when it comes to illegal population (source), yet california spends 3x as much on welfare.

elected officials, not voters authorize the spending. Elected officials that have a tacit understanding with businesses that the cheap labor supplied by illegals will continue to be available by not securing the borders. They will disregard the wishes of voters regardless of who wins the election. If california spends any more on welfare, i imagine it's because at least they spend some of it on their own legal residents..
-rr

Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,880 times
I'm glad we live in a place where we can respect each others differences, and have our own opinions.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM

154 posts, read 256,878 times
This has been an eye-opening thread. I've been dreaming of a move to NC all through this long, brutal MA winter. But, I'm thrilled with the schools in our area and am realizing just how important that is...

Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyto2 View Post
I'm glad we live in a place where we can respect each others differences, and have our own opinions.
I detected a tick on my sarcasm meter there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina