U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 09:04 AM

12 posts, read 35,093 times

Advertisements

We currently live in a rural and very beautiful part of NJ, with an excellent school system for our three daughters. But, NJ is forcing many residents out, including us, because it has the highest property taxes in the nation, highest auto insurance in the nation, extremely high cost of living, and now our "wonderful" Governor wants to increase highway tolls, and the gas tax - as if we weren't paying enough.

We've heard so many great things about North Carolina. I've been researching this state extensively and am looking for some feedback as to good schools (middle/high school), and low crime rates. We love the mountain area, but it seems a little too expensive - todate, we're interested in Cary/Apex/Wake Forest or Clemmons/Lewisville - I read in another forum that West Forsyth High is filled with drugs, even though it's a "school of distinction" - is this true - please help which town would fit our needs with good schools and safe communities to raise our girls. Thanks you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,536,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr525 View Post
We currently live in a rural and very beautiful part of NJ, with an excellent school system for our three daughters. But, NJ is forcing many residents out, including us, because it has the highest property taxes in the nation, highest auto insurance in the nation, extremely high cost of living, and now our "wonderful" Governor wants to increase highway tolls, and the gas tax - as if we weren't paying enough.

We've heard so many great things about North Carolina. I've been researching this state extensively and am looking for some feedback as to good schools (middle/high school), and low crime rates. We love the mountain area, but it seems a little too expensive - todate, we're interested in Cary/Apex/Wake Forest or Clemmons/Lewisville - I read in another forum that West Forsyth High is filled with drugs, even though it's a "school of distinction" - is this true - please help which town would fit our needs with good schools and safe communities to raise our girls. Thanks you.
We have relatives in NJ so we are aware of the problems there.
I strongly suggest you post your request in the Raleigh/Durham section of the NC Forum so you will get accurate information.

the Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Apex area is very metro and the cost of living there (albeit not as bad as where you are now) will be high by NC standards.
Hopefully some one from that area will read and reply to your post.

When we relocated to NC 10 years ago we lived in Raleigh for a year before moving into the countryside. I loved it there but my Wife is a country gal so we bought land and built a home out in farm country. Try this link:
Triangle School Information - Learning Centers (http://www.forhomebuyers.com/triangle-school-information.htm - broken link)

Good luck

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 12-05-2007 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: mis spelled word

Old 12-05-2007, 01:03 PM

9,567 posts, read 26,969,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr525 View Post

A lot will depend on what firld of work you are in. You don't want to move somewhere with good schools and low crime if there aren't any jobs there. matching up good employment opportunities will definitely help narrwow down what places in NC may be the best fir for you.

I also suggest you post a more detailed question on the Triangle and Charlotte area boards.

Good Luck!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:55 AM

473 posts, read 1,591,906 times
We moved from Hunterdon County NJ and wanted a rural area in NC.. We found Willow Spring... a great choice and its flatter but still as beautiful. I highly suggest searching 27592 zip code for a house in an afforadable price range!

Linda

Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,971 times
It depends on your job prospects and choice of schools. The triangle are is getting expensive and traffic congestion is also becoming a problem.

W-S is geat as well as the areas surrounding the RTP.

Anywhere in the state is great (dending) on your personal likes dislikes.

Moderator cut: SOLICITATION

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-06-2007 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 PM

128 posts, read 378,666 times
If you're looking for an area that feels more like the mountains, but still near the Triangle, try looking in Chatham County. There are some developments that offer much larger lots, and there just seem to be a lot more trees and gently rolling hills in that area. There are quite a few developments off hwy 64 or hwy 87, with Pittsboro or Silk Hope addresses, that still allow decent commutes to city jobs in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, or Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina