Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 PM

17 posts, read 22,762 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving from Minneapolis, Minnesota next year in the fall when my son graduates high school and I would like to move back to a small town. Cities are nice for cultural experiences but I would love to go back to a small town. I am looking for a town with a population of around 5,000 or less where you could walk amost anywhere, I don't mind having to drive to work if I have to work in a city but I don't want to live in/near one anymore. I am looking into either Oklahoma or North Carolina areas. It would only be myself and my son moving and he likes rock climbing and running for activities, and I like gardening and biking. We are ok with a little snow every now and then, if none at all that's ok too, but I would prefer mostly sunny days. He is taking a college course now for small engine repair and really likes it and is excelling in his class, I myself have working in offices and factories, but I prefer to work with my hands on machines than I do in offices. Please let me know any recommendations in these two states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine required View Post
It would only be myself and my son moving and he likes rock climbing and running for activities, and I like gardening and biking.
It sounds like you would prefer the western part of the state for the rock climbing. You might start by reading threads on towns like Weaverville, Black Mountain and Mount Airy. The major issue will be finding jobs, as many people find the area desirable and move there despite low wages.

Otherwise there are hundreds of towns under 5000 population in North Carolina. The list is here: http://www.city-data.com/city/North-Carolina.html A few that some people like (though they are not my cup of tea) in the eastern part of the state include Whiteville, Farmville, Newton Grove, Richlands and Tarboro.

A few larger Piedmont towns where you might be more likely to find a decent job include Pinehurst, Angier, Apex and Mebane.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Thank you, I was looking more to the western part of the state and Mount Airy but I wanted other options to check out as well.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine required View Post
Thank you, I was looking more to the western part of the state and Mount Airy but I wanted other options to check out as well.
The hardest part will be locating jobs. North Carolina has a number of food processing plants where people with mechanical skills might find work. For example, a friend worked in Newton Grove as a mechanic at a flour mill keeping the machines running well. Mount Olive has a place that make and packages pickles. The Lance Cracker company has headquarters in Charlotte.

You might also look at the "new job" threads posted by SunnyKayak, like the one about Ruger in Rockingham County.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 AM

Thank you, I will definitely look into it.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:26 AM

30 posts, read 45,474 times
Hello, I'm moving to Asheboro,NC soon I would like to know is it a safe place for children. And how is the schools. Or I would like to know but the crime rates.PLEASE HELP!!

Old 04-03-2014, 02:29 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,010 times
We moved here originally from NYC and love it, we live in Taylorsville NC, and love the small town and we are smack in the middle of many great places like Boone, Blowing Rock, Hickory, charlotte is an hour, 45 minutes to Winston, and also Asheville. Smaller town with great taxes and schools as well. Friendly people.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:22 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
The "walk anywhere" part might be a little difficult if you are talking about grocery shopping and such. A lot of the smaller towns end up with the major businesses (grocery stores, Walmart) on the outskirts of town. Those business owners buy/lease property where they can build a store surrounded by a large parking lot.

The job situation would be a factor; there are a lot of small towns within the scope of larger metros. We live 20 miles from Winston-Salem. For 13 years we lived on 5 acres but now have downsized to 1. Still plenty of space and distance from neighbors without having to relocate. Keep in mind that land and houses will be more expensive, within a commute to a larger area for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina