Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Some solutions for the state to raise money for the highways is make it a law that the Highway Trust Fund can no longer be raided to fill the General NC Fund.

Have weigh stations at the entrance of all interstates and require all truck drivers to pay a reasonable fee to be used for repairs separate from construction.

Relinquish or split costs alot of the state own and maintain secondary roads to cities and counties and the state does maintain alot.

Keep the gas tax as is which was signed for them to do anyways last year and raise the registration fee.

btw, there was no vote yesterday.
If NC wants to raise highway revenue, they should look first to actually enforcing existing laws and raise the registration fee/make it annual. There are plenty of states that do this very successfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 AM

409 posts, read 511,900 times
Hows about we start taxing politicians! Every budget shortfall could be easily righted by Taking more of the politicians income.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Good. Those commuters need to pay for all the miles of highway we have to build that cost hundreds of billions of dollars.

I'll never understand why people think interstates are free. I can't think of anything more expensive

Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
What percentage of the annual NCDOT budget would that save?
Oh I wouldn't stop there. I'd say that a 10% layoff is doable with no loss of utility to the end public. They should concentrate greatly on the higher tiers of management and cap salaries. Now that should be a considerable amount saved of the budget.

After that, we might get some acceptable proposals that have a chance of working .

Old 04-03-2014, 04:06 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
My teenage daughter said "wouldn't that be a violation of your right to privacy? How many miles you drive shouldn't be anyone's business." We agreed that if the cops suspect your car was used in the commission of a crime, and the mileage on the car was somehow an important factor, they would have to get a warrant to get that information. Wouldn't they?

I think she is a genius. How many teenagers have more than a basic understanding of search and seizure laws?

Old 04-03-2014, 04:46 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
My teenage daughter said "wouldn't that be a violation of your right to privacy? How many miles you drive shouldn't be anyone's business." We agreed that if the cops suspect your car was used in the commission of a crime, and the mileage on the car was somehow an important factor, they would have to get a warrant to get that information. Wouldn't they?

I think she is a genius. How many teenagers have more than a basic understanding of search and seizure laws?
^This exactly.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:22 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
I can't believe that NC is having trouble with highway funding. NC has one of the highest fuel taxes in the nation, yet many of the roads are substandard.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 PM

6,109 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This idea has been raised before and despite all of its problems (that people have raised in this thread), it stubbornly refuses to die. Doing a quick search for news articles about this story, they say that the NCDOT Board will hear a proposal to tax vehicle mileage but I can't find who exactly is proposing this to present to the NCDOT board.

Who specifically is proposing this?
No one answered my question. Anyone?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

I would assume lawmakers did their homework.

It could just be a beat-around-the-bush way of saying they're gonna raise gas tax

Or we could just stop funding useless interstates in the east.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:34 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That is an interesting presentation by the NCDOT. I notice the one solution that isn't mentioned is to cut costs. Businesses are forced to do this all the time, but it never seems to be a thought for these people.
What a bs line. You haven't been paying attention. The state has undergone massive budget cuts in the last five years. NCDOT alone laid off 400 people two years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina