Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wow, go NC

Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
1971, believe it or not.
So, brave NC repealed the law 4 years after it became unenforceable by the SCOTUS ruling?
At least they actually expunged the law from the books. From what I hear, other unenforceable laws still remain on the books.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Once again, the people who preach "small-government" want to get in between two people and their desires to become one union.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:21 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Once again, the people who preach "small-government" want to get in between two people and their desires to become one union.
Hey, don't blast me, I am all for it, but I think the last word in your message sums up the issue. Union vs Marriage.

Again, it does not matter to me. I am not a homophobe. I don't need to be told I suck. I am just addressing what is true!

Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Hey, don't blast me, I am all for it, but I think the last word in your message sums up the issue. Union vs Marriage.

Again, it does not matter to me. I am not a homophobe. I don't need to be told I suck. I am just addressing what is true!
Keep marriage a religious act, and only allow the government to issue civil unions to everyone. Then if two people of the same sex want to be "Married", they just have to find a church to do it.

The government should only be a recordkeeper of a unionship, for tax/legal purposes. Nothing more.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
That the problem the legal issues. A new lawsuit filed today. A Mocksville couple had to file separate state tax forms but could not file jointly due to NC does not recognized their marriage but federal goverment does.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-16-2014 at 04:39 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It's pretty messed up and hypocritical for sure. However NC like most of the south has a huge, huge religious following and apparently THE Bible says its wrong for same sex "business" to happen so...whatever happened to separation of church and state anyway?!?

If the Dems could get a little more fiscally conservative I think they would come out on top every time. There are a TON of "reasonable" fringe/borderline people (is that the right word) that are looking for common sense, and who don't just vote along party lines.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
'could'?

No.

It most definitely will be overturned soon.

Since last year's United States Supreme Court decision in Windsor (the DOMA case), there have been precisely five federal courts which have ruled on the constitutionality of same-sex marriage bans. Those five federal judges - some appointed by Democratic Presidents, some appointed by Republican Presidents - have been unanimous in holding that applying Windsor to same-sex marriage bans nullifies those bans.

Right now, those five decisions (which struck down same-sex marriage bans in Utah, Oklahoma, Virginia, Texas and Michigan) are all in the process of being appealed to various circuit courts. Those decisions will begin to come in this summer. Most of those decisions will uphold the lower court rulings, which will leave the Supreme Court with a choice - hear the subsequent appeals, or accept it when multiple circuits courts strike down same-sex marriage bans in all the states within that circuit (ie, deny cert, which means the Supreme Court would reject an appeal of a circuit court decision, and that ruling stands as binding law). Example: North Carolina is in the Fourth Circuit, where a District Court judge has already nullified Virginia's same-sex marriage ban. That case is now before the Fourth Circuit, and if the Fourth upholds the lower court ruling then such bans will become unconstitutional in the entire Fourth Circuit - not just Virginia but also West Virginia, Maryland (moot - the ban there has already been repealed), South Carolina... North Carolina. The high court hates circuit splits (where something is unconstitutional in one circuit but not another), especially on high-profile issues - as such, it will not let that happen. So, it will take the case.

And what will happen then?

Every Justice that joined in the Windsor opinion will hold that same-sex marriage bans are an equal protection violation. Chief Justice Roberts, using the excuse of stare decisis to flip from his Windsor position, may well decide that being on the blatantly wrong side of history isn't all that appealing, and join the majority. And that will be that. (Scalia will still pen an angry, sanctimonious, petulant dissent)

The Supreme Court will probably grant cert in an appeal this coming fall, hear the case early next year, and issue a ruling in mid-2015 before the traditional deadline of all their rulings - July 4th.

Then it will be over and same-sex marriage will be legal in all 50 states. Game, set, match.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
'could'?

Then it will be over and same-sex marriage will be legal in all 50 states. Game, set, match.
Then the polygamists will make the same arguments and in 10 to 20 years that will be legal. After that whatever people define as a sexual relationship will become a valid marriage. It will happen slowly over time but the idea of marriage will no longer be about love or family but about sex and getting financial benefits.

Call it a civil union and let the states decide how they want to handle the benefits aspect (which can also be handled with various legal paperwork). And before you start throwing hate my way don't forget that my definition of marriage is the same as Barack Obama's.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Then the polygamists will make the same arguments and in 10 to 20 years that will be legal. After that whatever people define as a sexual relationship will become a valid marriage. It will happen slowly over time but the idea of marriage will no longer be about love or family but about sex and getting financial benefits.

Call it a civil union and let the states decide how they want to handle the benefits aspect (which can also be handled with various legal paperwork). And before you start throwing hate my way don't forget that my definition of marriage is the same as Barack Obama's.
How is being married to more than one person remotely in the same league as being married to one person?

It is not.

You are saying here that gay marriage is not about love or family.

Or is that not what you are saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina