Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times

Advertisements

I'm always amused by the people who have based their entire world view on this issue on their presumption that people choose to be gay and can therefore also choose not to be gay. VOILA, problem solved.
I like to ask folks who believe this sort of hocus pocus if they'd be happy for their daughter to marry one of these men who have "chosen not to be gay". If that question can be asked face to face, it's always interesting to watch their facial expressions before they even try to answer the question.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:59 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'm always amused by the people who have based their entire world view on this issue on their presumption that people choose to be gay and can therefore also choose not to be gay. VOILA, problem solved.
I like to ask folks who believe this sort of hocus pocus if they'd be happy for their daughter to marry one of these men who have "chosen not to be gay". If that question can be asked face to face, it's always interesting to watch their facial expressions before they even try to answer the question.
For people who think that, my first question is always: "So when did you decide not to be gay?" Usually get a fun response.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:20 PM

82 posts, read 110,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
You're one of those simpletons who equate homosexuality with pedaphilla and beasiality, aren't ya?

You allowed same sex marriage, what could be your argument against inter-generational marriage?
If a 14 year old boy wants to marry a 19 Year old woman why can't he do so? Its love, and two loving people should have the right to get married... and if the parents get in the way of the the marriages then they are intruding upon the freedom of the 14 Year old. Hey Next week I want to marry my cat, I know she loves me, and I love her and nobody can tell me otherwise.

I'm not even going to argue this one with you people.
Sooner or later, the pedophiles will push there agenda, and when they do, they'll call it sexual preference, and it's between two consenting people - Just look at all the teachers sleeping with students now a days.

Homosexuality-> Pedophilia -> Beastiality -> End of all of that is good
=P

Last edited by WilliamReign; 06-12-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 04:33 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamReign View Post
You allowed same sex marriage, what could be your argument against inter-generational marriage?
If a 14 year old boy wants to marry a 19 Year old woman why can't he do so? Its love, and two loving people should have the right to get married... and if the parents get in the way of the the marriages then they are intruding upon the freedom of the 14 Year old. Hey Next week I want to marry my cat, I know she loves me, and I love her and nobody can tell me otherwise.

I'm not even going to argue this one with you people.
Sooner or later, the pedophiles will push there agenda, and when they do, they'll call it sexual preference, and it's between two consenting people - Just look at all the teachers sleeping with students now a days.

Homosexuality-> Pedophilia -> Beastiality -> End of all of that is good
=P
I can't wrap my head about people like you. I won't get into how marriage is a contract and a 14yo isn't legally able to enter one.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
If a 14 year old boy wants to marry a 19 Year old woman why can't he do so?
They can.

This is still legal in at least a 1/2 dozen states. 100+ years ago, all states allowed it and it wasn't uncommon for people, especially women o get married at a very young age. Often there could be 20+ years difference.

You arguments don't seem to be based on the facts.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Agree, 14 and 15 year old can already can marry in North Carolina.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:27 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times
Quote:
Just look at all the teachers sleeping with students now a days.
How many teachers are having sex with students these days compared to, oh forever and an age ago where there has always been instances of sexual relationships in student/teacher mentor/apprentice type relationships?

What exactly, other than mass media bringing it to your attention, has made this a greater concern than it has ever been?

Gay people have been gay throughout recorded history and likely well before then, and they will continue to be gay until the end of all time, which by your reckoning will be brought about because of their gaiety. Most gay couples want marriage for the legal rights, not for your approval for what they are doing behind closed doors in their own bedrooms.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
They do have equal rights.
Gay people have far from equal rights--its' legal to fire someone who is doing an excellent job, simply because they're gay. It's perfectly legal to evict a good tenant simply because they're gay (but not because they're black, or Jewish, or have loud destructive children). And, a gay couple who've been together in a committed relationship for 40 years do not have the same legal protections as a heterosexual couple who ran down to the courthouse last weekend and got married, no matter how many documents they sign (and at what great expense).

Quote:
As far as racial segregation, not comparable. You can look at someone and see their race, you cannot look at someone and see that their gay.
You can't tell a person's religion by looking at them, but it's illegal to discriminate based on religion. You can't always tell is a job application is from a man or a woman by the name, but it's illegal to discriminate based on gender.

Quote:
I have failed to see the "Hetero Only" water fountains. Also when a straight person gets on a bus and there is no where to sit the gays have to get up and stand in the back?
The Military until very recently was "hetero only". The right to legal, civil marriage still is. And I can't recall the lat time a heterosexual person was chased down and beaten in the streets by people chanting "breeder". I certainly can't find an example of a family disowning their own child or a church kicking someone out because he/she was heterosexual, but please, find us one.

Quote:
If gay marriage were allowed in the future, most likely not by any vote but by a court (which is the reason bans are being struck down right now), then it must be recognized that you CANNOT DENY MARRIAGE TO ANYONE, ANYTIME.

No one has to 'love' the other, it can come down to simply two adults wanting a tax or inheritance benefits. No standards.
Are you stupid enough not to realize this goes on ALL THE TIME now, with heterosexual couples? Think of all of the Anna Nicole Smith's of the world who marry rich old men about to keep over. I personally knew a young male-female couple who were platonic friends who got married just so one could be on the other's insurance. They didn't live together, but they were legally married.

The fact that some people will always abuse the privileges of a marriage bond is no reason to deny it to a large chuck of the population who want it for the "right" reasons.

Quote:
Look up the HIV/Aids rate amoung the homosexual community, the higher rates in sexual partners, and all the health risk that Tv doesn't tell you about.
Married people are far, far less promiscuous, so you've just given a reason to SUPPORT marriage for all couples. Single straight people--even those in live-in-but-not-married relationships--have far higher rates of STDs. Marriage keeps people near home. Thanks for agreeing that it's a good thing.

Quote:
Lets put 100 Homosexual couples on an island, and then lets put another 100 heterosexual couples on another. Then lets see which island will be completely gone in 100 years.
This is such a ridiculous "argument" I should even address it. Gay people are only 5-7% of the population, meaning 90+% of the population is heterosexual and will keep having all the babies they want. Have you looked at the fact that there was seven BILLION people on the earth right now with an exponential growth rate where each new billion happens faster and faster than the previous? Never mind that plenty of homosexual people have biological children with opposite-sex friends, or that some 20% of heterosexual people do NOT have children. NO heterosexual marriage between Senior Citizens is going to produce children, so are you saying it should be illegal to get married after the age of 60? You're certainly implying it.

Quote:
It seems to me that the argument is that by allowing gay couples to be legally wed somehow undoes the legality of straight couples getting married and having children. That makes absolutely no sense.
That's EXACTLY The argument almost every anti-marriage equality argument always comes down to, and of course you're right, it doesn't make sense. Whether John and Jill have children has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with whether bill and Bob down the street legalize their relationship. And yet that's what is continually bleated as the primary "support" of banning same-sex marriage. (Never mind that there is not one word in the legal marriage statutes about reproducing at all).

Quote:
The American Birth rates are falling like no tomorrow, care to explain why that isn't being promoted in pop culture today? Lets promote marriage and family, instead of trying to redefine what constitute what is marriage and family.
American population is actually growing, due to immigration, and birth rates were falling long before anyone thought of same-sex marriage being legal (not a bad thing, the way the earth is about to explode from population growth spikes) OTOH, gay couples are raising children at higher and higher rates, often adopting the unwanted children that some heterosexual couple gave up and no other (heterosexual) couple wanted. I know many gay couples who got their children this way. So much for "snatching children away from mother-father families"--the (usually single) mothers who birthed them didn't want them, and they may have grown up orphan if a gay couple hadn't taken them in to give a loving home.

And you don't think heterosexual marriage is promoted in pop culture? Hoo boy, you can't turn on a "news" channel any more without hearing of some celebrity marriage of what X's bridal gown looks like or where so-and-so went on their honeymoon. Young people in their 20s are still practically harassed by friends and parents about "When are you going to get married??" all the time. I don't see how this culture could be any more pro-(heterosexual) marriage. But I'm glad you believe "marriage and family" deserves promotion, because that's exactly what most of us are trying to do--EXPAND the number of people who can get legally married to the one they love and often have lived with for decades.

Quote:
Second, I never said people who cant reproduce for whatever reason should not be married....but it is obvious that two people of the same gender cannot reproduce.
Your second sentence completely contradicts your first. Either you believe procreation is necessary for marriage, or you don't. Whichever it is, one of your statements contradicts the other.

Quote:
The rights of a group, particularly a minority group shouldn't be subject to a vote of the people. If we waited for a vote, I'm guessing some schools would still be segregated!
And women would never have gained the right to vote by a popular vote among the all-male voting population! And most states that had it would never have abolished slavery if it were put to a popular vote. Our 3-part government was specifically constructed to protect the rights of a minority from tyranny of the majority.

Quote:
Let's wait and save the "marry my son/daughter/12 other people/pet squirrel" problems for down the road (if ever).
Ha. Yup, it would be ice if the right-wing could make one cogent argument without a ridiculous "slippery slope involving things that no more than a smattering of nutcases have even proposed, and nobody takes seriously.

Quote:
because 14-year-olds are not consenting ADULTS, at least in most states (actually I believe there may still be some deep South state where 14-year-olds CAN get married with their parents' permission?). Marriages must be between consenting ADULTS in most localities, and only a tiny minority (shunned by most of the population, gay, straight, or otherwise) suggests to the contrary.

You go right ahead trying to build a legal case for marrying your cat, especially getting her to present the requisite legal papers and sign the forms

You know you're on the losing side of this and the drivel spewing out of your keyboard is just getting funnier and funnier. Massachusetts had now had legal same-sex marriage for a decade, and has one of the lowest divorce rates in the entire US. And last time I checked there, no 12-year-olds or Siamese Cats were appealing to walk down the aisle.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 PM

82 posts, read 110,669 times
Yes yes, I guess we all have our own views, and I'm simply expressing mine,

Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Gay people have far from equal rights--its' legal to fire someone who is doing an excellent job, simply because they're gay. It's perfectly legal to evict a good tenant simply because they're gay (but not because they're black, or Jewish, or have loud destructive children). And, a gay couple who've been together in a committed relationship for 40 years do not have the same legal protections as a heterosexual couple who ran down to the courthouse last weekend and got married, no matter how many documents they sign (and at what great expense).

You can't tell a person's religion by looking at them, but it's illegal to discriminate based on religion. You can't always tell is a job application is from a man or a woman by the name, but it's illegal to discriminate based on gender.

The Military until very recently was "hetero only". The right to legal, civil marriage still is. And I can't recall the lat time a heterosexual person was chased down and beaten in the streets by people chanting "breeder". I certainly can't find an example of a family disowning their own child or a church kicking someone out because he/she was heterosexual, but please, find us one.

Are you stupid enough not to realize this goes on ALL THE TIME now, with heterosexual couples? Think of all of the Anna Nicole Smith's of the world who marry rich old men about to keep over. I personally knew a young male-female couple who were platonic friends who got married just so one could be on the other's insurance. They didn't live together, but they were legally married.

The fact that some people will always abuse the privileges of a marriage bond is no reason to deny it to a large chuck of the population who want it for the "right" reasons.

Married people are far, far less promiscuous, so you've just given a reason to SUPPORT marriage for all couples. Single straight people--even those in live-in-but-not-married relationships--have far higher rates of STDs. Marriage keeps people near home. Thanks for agreeing that it's a good thing.

This is such a ridiculous "argument" I should even address it. Gay people are only 5-7% of the population, meaning 90+% of the population is heterosexual and will keep having all the babies they want. Have you looked at the fact that there was seven BILLION people on the earth right now with an exponential growth rate where each new billion happens faster and faster than the previous? Never mind that plenty of homosexual people have biological children with opposite-sex friends, or that some 20% of heterosexual people do NOT have children. NO heterosexual marriage between Senior Citizens is going to produce children, so are you saying it should be illegal to get married after the age of 60? You're certainly implying it.

That's EXACTLY The argument almost every anti-marriage equality argument always comes down to, and of course you're right, it doesn't make sense. Whether John and Jill have children has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with whether bill and Bob down the street legalize their relationship. And yet that's what is continually bleated as the primary "support" of banning same-sex marriage. (Never mind that there is not one word in the legal marriage statutes about reproducing at all).

American population is actually growing, due to immigration, and birth rates were falling long before anyone thought of same-sex marriage being legal (not a bad thing, the way the earth is about to explode from population growth spikes) OTOH, gay couples are raising children at higher and higher rates, often adopting the unwanted children that some heterosexual couple gave up and no other (heterosexual) couple wanted. I know many gay couples who got their children this way. So much for "snatching children away from mother-father families"--the (usually single) mothers who birthed them didn't want them, and they may have grown up orphan if a gay couple hadn't taken them in to give a loving home.

And you don't think heterosexual marriage is promoted in pop culture? Hoo boy, you can't turn on a "news" channel any more without hearing of some celebrity marriage of what X's bridal gown looks like or where so-and-so went on their honeymoon. Young people in their 20s are still practically harassed by friends and parents about "When are you going to get married??" all the time. I don't see how this culture could be any more pro-(heterosexual) marriage. But I'm glad you believe "marriage and family" deserves promotion, because that's exactly what most of us are trying to do--EXPAND the number of people who can get legally married to the one they love and often have lived with for decades.

Your second sentence completely contradicts your first. Either you believe procreation is necessary for marriage, or you don't. Whichever it is, one of your statements contradicts the other.

And women would never have gained the right to vote by a popular vote among the all-male voting population! And most states that had it would never have abolished slavery if it were put to a popular vote. Our 3-part government was specifically constructed to protect the rights of a minority from tyranny of the majority.

Ha. Yup, it would be ice if the right-wing could make one cogent argument without a ridiculous "slippery slope involving things that no more than a smattering of nutcases have even proposed, and nobody takes seriously.

because 14-year-olds are not consenting ADULTS, at least in most states (actually I believe there may still be some deep South state where 14-year-olds CAN get married with their parents' permission?). Marriages must be between consenting ADULTS in most localities, and only a tiny minority (shunned by most of the population, gay, straight, or otherwise) suggests to the contrary.

You go right ahead trying to build a legal case for marrying your cat, especially getting her to present the requisite legal papers and sign the forms

You know you're on the losing side of this and the drivel spewing out of your keyboard is just getting funnier and funnier. Massachusetts had now had legal same-sex marriage for a decade, and has one of the lowest divorce rates in the entire US. And last time I checked there, no 12-year-olds or Siamese Cats were appealing to walk down the aisle.

:0 what an excellent post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina