Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Do we even have a "good" English translation of the Bible?

I know some ancient languages scholars who don't think so.

e.
Good, yes. Perfect, no. There is no translation into any language other than the original Hebrew and Greek that exactly captures the nuances of the original texts. I refer to the KJV as a good translation by comparison to many really bad English "translations".

Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
And for all you folks saying polygamy is a nothingburger:

'Sister Wives' case: Judge strikes down part of Utah polygamy law - CNN.com

My stance on gay marriage matches that of the President.

This is as trivial as the "skewed polls" that Conservative pundits were talking about last election. Oversimplified, out of touch, far from reality... Just google skewer polls and read all the conservative columns how the mainstream media had it wrong, etc.....

This is how North Carolina's ban will be overturned. It's past the debate of "right or wrong" - its to the point of abolishing these bans. There is no point in continuing the marrying your underaged brother who happens to be a Zebra argument... The debate has already been settled; it's just the period of implementing fairness now.

And as a gay person; being against same sex marriage was hate.... It absolutely was hate; until of course they became the minority... Then it's "oh, well... I don't care what people do just it's against my religion" ..... Yeah, right.... On the bright side at least radical Christians aren't committing suicide or being best up for being Christian or expected to keep being Christian private and deny being a Christian (which I am one). Meanwhile in NC you can still fire someone for being gay; what does that have to do with religion??

Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post

That prohibited marriage between races, it did not redefine marriage which was still considered between a man and a woman.
Using this logic, then the elimination of the current definition of marriage in the Constitution should proceed because that would not change what people "consider" as the definition of marriage.

Or, do you need the government to codify your beliefs in statute in order to make them valid?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Using this logic, then the elimination of the current definition of marriage in the Constitution should proceed because that would not change what people "consider" as the definition of marriage.

Or, do you need the government to codify your beliefs in statute in order to make them valid?
There is no definition of marriage in the Constitution.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:01 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Could the same sex ban be overturned soon? It is possible if the courts overturn it. Could it then be put to a referendum? It is possible the issue could make it to the ballot.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post

Sure there is.

In the NC Constitution.

Which I'm guessing you don't live here or you would know this. This discussion may have broader implications for the US, but this discussion IS about North Carolina's Constitutional ban on gay marriage.

This isn't the P&OC board.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This is the exact state statute. The party I was debating with referred to it as a definition of marriage.
"Sec. 6. Marriage. Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State. This section does not prohibit a private party from entering into contracts with another private party; nor does this section prohibit courts from adjudicating the rights of private parties pursuant to such contracts. (2011-409, s. 1)"

So I assume then you have no objections to it's removal from the NC Constitution, that is, that it's declared unconstutional against the US Constitution? Is that so?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Sure there is.

In the NC Constitution.

Which I'm guessing you don't live here or you would know this. This discussion may have broader implications for the US, but this discussion IS about North Carolina's Constitutional ban on gay marriage.

This isn't the P&OC board.
I stand corrected. The NC Constitution's definition is as it should be.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 AM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times
Quote:
I don't know any gay people who buy into this stuff.

Have you never read some of the radical crap that leaders of various other parties throw out to the press?

David Duke is Southern. Does he speak for all Southerners? No. Not even most Southerners.

You are letting fearmongering interfere with logic.
The people I quoted have been or are at the forefront of they gay rights movement. I hardly think they are fringe elements.

Quote:
Oh my goodness. It's UTAH.

Are we surprised at all that this is happening in UTAH?
They are using the same equal protection arguments as the gay marriage advocates. The precedent is set in multiple states. It is only a matter of time.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Could the same sex ban be overturned soon? It is possible if the courts overturn it. Could it then be put to a referendum? It is possible the issue could make it to the ballot.
just checking to see if I can post. Got a cannot post to this forum message. Don't know why.

seems to be posting so I guess was just an admin/software note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina