Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times

Advertisements

So. I moved to Moore County NC in early 2012 from small town Arkansas (Cabot, about 25 miles NE of Little Rock). Any shooting, robbery, or especially murder, was HUGE news there. I lived there from 2005-2008 and 2010-2011, there were 2 murders in those time periods...1 of those happened directly in front of my apartment by a Cabot police officer so eh...the other was an arsonist-burnt down pawn shop, the guy that did it was in my cell block in the Lonoke County Jail...so my question is....why are small NC towns so much more crime ridden than small AR towns? Here in NC, I see damn literally daily news reports of home invasions and/or shootings in small towns such as Rockingham, Hoffman, Southern Pines/Aberdeen, Laurinburg, Tabor City, Bladenboro, Raeford, Hope Mills, Fayetteville, Sanford, Angier, Rocky Mount, Wilson, etc. There is at least a few home invasions or shootings in ONE of those cities (of not more) on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. In Arkansas, nothing like that. In Austin, Ward, Beebe, Cabot, Searcy, Jacksonville, Sherwood, Benton, or NLR if there was even a gunshot fired in town it would be HUUUUUUUGE news that EVERYONE would be talking about for WEEKS. The most NC/AR comparable towns are Pine Bluff AR and Rocky Mount NC IMO. IDK, am I trippin or is NC a much more dangerous state than most in the south? What is contributing to the difference?

Keep in mind...in AR I saw no dead bodies, even though apprently someone got killed right in front of my apartment in Cabot. In NC, I have seen 4 dead bodies, seen 2 others get shot/my car have a bullet hole, called 9-1-1 more times than socially acceptable, heard way too many gunshots, and been too paranoid to get gas or candy past 9PM. I am incredibly paranoid here - not something Ii am used to. Just 2 or 3 weeks ago the newspaper said something about a drive by shooting on the other side of my neighborhood committed by a white minivan - last night at 12:30 midnight when I was going to a tobacco shop, on my street I saw a white minivan driving like 3mph with no headlights on and its windows down. I thought I was about to get shot, and gunned my gas pedal when we became window-window. I also have to wait on Bragg Blvd 5/7 days/week at 2AM in a dark parking lot. I have never been so paranoid even when I was living in Little Rock (which has a higher crime rate than Fay, shockingly)........so, what gives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
So. I moved to Moore County NC in early 2012 from small town Arkansas (Cabot, about 25 miles NE of Little Rock). Any shooting, robbery, or especially murder, was HUGE news there. I lived there from 2005-2008 and 2010-2011, there were 2 murders in those time periods...1 of those happened directly in front of my apartment by a Cabot police officer so eh...the other was an arsonist-burnt down pawn shop, the guy that did it was in my cell block in the Lonoke County Jail...so my question is....why are small NC towns so much more crime ridden than small AR towns? Here in NC, I see damn literally daily news reports of home invasions and/or shootings in small towns such as Rockingham, Hoffman, Southern Pines/Aberdeen, Laurinburg, Tabor City, Bladenboro, Raeford, Hope Mills, Fayetteville, Sanford, Angier, Rocky Mount, Wilson, etc. There is at least a few home invasions or shootings in ONE of those cities (of not more) on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. In Arkansas, nothing like that. In Austin, Ward, Beebe, Cabot, Searcy, Jacksonville, Sherwood, Benton, or NLR if there was even a gunshot fired in town it would be HUUUUUUUGE news that EVERYONE would be talking about for WEEKS. The most NC/AR comparable towns are Pine Bluff AR and Rocky Mount NC IMO. IDK, am I trippin or is NC a much more dangerous state than most in the south? What is contributing to the difference?

Keep in mind...in AR I saw no dead bodies, even though apprently someone got killed right in front of my apartment in Cabot. In NC, I have seen 4 dead bodies, seen 2 others get shot/my car have a bullet hole, called 9-1-1 more times than socially acceptable, heard way too many gunshots, and been too paranoid to get gas or candy past 9PM. I am incredibly paranoid here - not something Ii am used to. Just 2 or 3 weeks ago the newspaper said something about a drive by shooting on the other side of my neighborhood committed by a white minivan - last night at 12:30 midnight when I was going to a tobacco shop, on my street I saw a white minivan driving like 3mph with no headlights on and its windows down. I thought I was about to get shot, and gunned my gas pedal when we became window-window. I also have to wait on Bragg Blvd 5/7 days/week at 2AM in a dark parking lot. I have never been so paranoid even when I was living in Little Rock (which has a higher crime rate than Fay, shockingly)........so, what gives.
You live in Fayetteville and hang out in the worst parts of town in the evenings.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:27 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,876 times
Quote:

You live in the most dangerous part of the state. I would probably stay off Bragg Blvd at 2 am.

I worked at Bragg for a while. I was happy to get back home.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:

I'll give you my take on that which is just a wild guess. Easy access to guns in NC.

I am originally from NJ where it is almost impossible to get a CCW permit. Buying a gun involves a lot of paperwork and permits just to buy.
But in 60 + years in NJ living just a few miles from one of the violent drug dispensing neighborhoods I did not see or read about very much gun violence in my area.
Gun violence and murders were mostly confined to the bad areas where the gang people lived.
Yes the bad guys all had guns but it was mostly just the bad guys and not the neighborhood troublemakers.

Never gave a thought of owning a gun while I lived in NJ but after just two years of living in NC and reading about all the gun violence I am now a CCW card carrying owner of two pistols.
The reason being is that just too many people in NC have guns and I don't want to have to wait for a cop to deal with a gun wielding criminal.

Lots of people in NC own guns and they all consider themselves "law abiding citizens" and they are if they all went through the proper channels to gun ownership. Unfortunately people with no criminal background who could easily obtain a permit to buy chose to obtain guns where background checks are not required and they then become gun owners but they are no longer "law abiding citizens."

And where do these people buy their guns without background checks? They buy them from people willing to make a fast buck selling their legally purchased guns.
Remember there is no gun registration in NC, only the gun shop that sells you a gun has a record of your purchase.

Too me it's pretty simple why NC has so much gun violence, too many guns out there.

Here is a simple analogy. Which highway in NC has the most car crashes? The heavily traveled I95 or the rural country roads of Moore Co.?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:44 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,683 times
What PDD said....and what are you doing on Bragg Blvd at 2am or going to the tobacco store at 12:30am?? That's just foolish and asking for trouble!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:32 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
They still call that area Fayettenam for a reason. Did you not research where you were moving to?

However, it's one area....not the entire state....your attempt to slur all of NC falls quite short.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:50 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'll give you my take on that which is just a wild guess. Easy access to guns in NC.

I am originally from NJ where it is almost impossible to get a CCW permit. Buying a gun involves a lot of paperwork and permits just to buy.
But in 60 + years in NJ living just a few miles from one of the violent drug dispensing neighborhoods I did not see or read about very much gun violence in my area.
Gun violence and murders were mostly confined to the bad areas where the gang people lived.
Yes the bad guys all had guns but it was mostly just the bad guys and not the neighborhood troublemakers.

Never gave a thought of owning a gun while I lived in NJ but after just two years of living in NC and reading about all the gun violence I am now a CCW card carrying owner of two pistols.
The reason being is that just too many people in NC have guns and I don't want to have to wait for a cop to deal with a gun wielding criminal.

Lots of people in NC own guns and they all consider themselves "law abiding citizens" and they are if they all went through the proper channels to gun ownership. Unfortunately people with no criminal background who could easily obtain a permit to buy chose to obtain guns where background checks are not required and they then become gun owners but they are no longer "law abiding citizens."

And where do these people buy their guns without background checks? They buy them from people willing to make a fast buck selling their legally purchased guns.
Remember there is no gun registration in NC, only the gun shop that sells you a gun has a record of your purchase.

Too me it's pretty simple why NC has so much gun violence, too many guns out there.

Here is a simple analogy. Which highway in NC has the most car crashes? The heavily traveled I95 or the rural country roads of Moore Co.?
Very feeble analysis. There are sooooo many differences in NJ and NC it is laughable. To hone in on guns, when all data suggests just the opposite (heard anything about Chicago crime rate lately?) indicates more of an agenda than thoughtful consideration.

Taxes, services, safety nets, unemployment, just think social services are much higher in NJ? Hence folks have not fallen as far and have not exhausted all options.

Plus, you are in one of the worst geo/economic areas in the state.

To paraphrase Sam Kinison, if you want to get away from violence, go to a place that is not violent! That would not be Fayetteville.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:53 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Very feeble analysis. There are sooooo many differences in NJ and NC it is laughable. To hone in on guns, when all data suggests just the opposite (heard anything about Chicago crime rate lately?) indicates more of an agenda than thoughtful consideration.

Taxes, services, safety nets, unemployment, just think social services are much higher in NJ? Hence folks have not fallen as far and have not exhausted all options.

Plus, you are in one of the worst geo/economic areas in the state.

To paraphrase Sam Kinison, if you want to get away from violence, go to a place that is not violent! That would not be Fayetteville.
OK I don't live near Fayetteville so forget that.

If you are a die hard gun owner then there is no argument that will ever convince you to change your mind but since I have lived in both states I definitely see that owning guns are more part of the culture down here than NJ
A local sheriff deputy told me he could not sleep at night without a gun in the house (that's paranoia)

Don't forget I am not against guns I am against illegal purchase of guns.

2nd amendment nut jobs don't want any restrictions to gun purchases. That's a major problem.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
OK I don't live near Fayetteville so forget that.

If you are a die hard gun owner then there is no argument that will ever convince you to change your mind but since I have lived in both states I definitely see that owning guns are more part of the culture down here than NJ
A local sheriff deputy told me he could not sleep at night without a gun in the house (that's paranoia)

Don't forget I am not against guns I am against illegal purchase of guns.

2nd amendment nut jobs don't want any restrictions to gun purchases. That's a major problem.
If you don't live near that area...then I think your 'analysis' doesn't carry much weight. Gun ownership...legal or otherwise.....has little to nothing to do with the problems this area.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Quote:
In NC, I have seen 4 dead bodies, seen 2 others get shot/my car have a bullet hole...
I grew up in Fayetteville and lived there until I was 18 and went back for a year after college. I gotta say, it's where you're hanging out.

I have lived in NC most of my life and I am in my 40s (still). I have NEVER seen a dead body from a crime (I'm assuming funerals and accidents don't count), nor EVER seen anyone shot, nor had a bullet hole in my house or car.

I have seen property crime. My parents' house in Fayetteville was broken into probably 3 or 4 times in the past 40 years. Never while they were there and the criminals didn't tear anything up — just stole some jewelry and silver and got out.

I have also had my house broken into in Chapel Hill and my iPod stolen from my unlocked car (doh!) in my driveway, but I have NEVER seen the kind of violent crime you're talking about.

Can you change where you live/work?

Last edited by poppydog; 04-20-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina