Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 AM

881 posts, read 766,084 times

Advertisements

Longevity pay is a a ONE time bonus that was paid to ALL state workers. It is NOT a raise. Now certified teachers are the ONLY state employees who won't be receiving it. Coupon Jack - there is no argument with stupidity. But at least get your facts rights

Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Wait, are you serious?....
Yes. The remaining opinion you posted doesn't address anything I've said.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
Longevity pay is a a ONE time bonus that was paid to ALL state workers. It is NOT a raise. Now certified teachers are the ONLY state employees who won't be receiving it. Coupon Jack - there is no argument with stupidity. But at least get your facts rights
Longevity pay will now be paid in each paycheck (vs. at year end like a bonus it always was)

Yes, you are correct and appreciate the correction, even though you have a low class way of doing it! Lol Thanks for contributing.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:54 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If you take into account the raise that was given, if you are a young single person coming out of college, you can be a teacher and after 20 years you can start collecting on your pension...the benefits are top notch, and you have a very favorable schedule (lets be honest)
CJ - In what state can you start collecting a teacher's pension after only 20 years? Perhaps you're confusing them with some police departments that offer a 20 or 25-and-out pension. It'd be more likely that NC requires you to be in the system for 20 years before you are "vested" in the pension system. Even in our former home state, it now takes 10 years to be "vested" in the NJ pension system. Most teachers usually have 30-40 years in, before they retire.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:07 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yes. The remaining opinion you posted doesn't address anything I've said.

Okay, with that I'm just going to leave you in whatever strange world you live in. Your inability to understand a very simple explanation of your logical error is too much for me to overcome.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
CJ - In what state can you start collecting a teacher's pension after only 20 years? Perhaps you're confusing them with some police departments that offer a 20 or 25-and-out pension. It'd be more likely that NC requires you to be in the system for 20 years before you are "vested" in the pension system. Even in our former home state, it now takes 10 years to be "vested" in the NJ pension system. Most teachers usually have 30-40 years in, before they retire.

It's 30 years in NC.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:26 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I'm going to attach the link for the handbook so there's no confusion (other states do it differently)...

See page 5 of the teachers' retirement handbook which was updated Jan 2014.

"Reduced benefits begin after reaching age 50 and completing 20 yrs of service"

full benefits are 25 and 60 (or 30 years at any credible age).....there are several different scenerios to start collecting...

And the formula calculates your last 4 or 5 maximum years of salary....its all in the handbook attached.

https://www.nctreasurer.com/ret/Bene...RShandbook.pdf

This is what I was saying earlier about compensation....

Old 08-15-2014, 03:13 PM

^ I stand corrected. I always thought early retirement had to be forced, but apparently that's not the case. Thanks for the link!

Old 08-16-2014, 03:37 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
Quote:
I'm going to attach the link for the handbook so there's no confusion (other states do it differently)...

See page 5 of the teachers' retirement handbook which was updated Jan 2014.

"Reduced benefits begin after reaching age 50 and completing 20 yrs of service"

full benefits are 25 and 60 (or 30 years at any credible age).....there are several different scenerios to start collecting...

And the formula calculates your last 4 or 5 maximum years of salary....its all in the handbook attached.

https://www.nctreasurer.com/ret/Bene...RShandbook.pdf

This is what I was saying earlier about compensation....
You're being intentionally misleading. While it is true that one can take early retirement with reduced benefits after working 20 years, your statement was that a young person could start teaching out of college and retire in 20 years. This is not true. Also, note that someone retiring with 20 years of service at age 50 would receive a pension of just 18% of their highest average 4 years consecutive salary. Needless to say, not many takers. One would get 55% at 30 years.

Also, the benefits are actually pretty crappy. The pension is nice, especially for teachers who would be left destitute otherwise (or would more likely just keep working, preventing anyone new from entering the profession). The health insurance is pretty aweful, especially if you have a family. Having a baby last year cost us $5k. When you factor in the premiums, I don't we'd have paid anymore if we didn't have insurance.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:51 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
Quote:
That's a very immature way of looking at how you are paid/compensated, and many, many, people are guilty of that, not just you or others in the teaching profession. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Also, you are splitting hairs about your vacation time (which is another recurring theme from many.) However you want to describe it, you get 21 paid holidays off WITHIN school year (4+ weeks) AND 7 teacher workdays....has NOTHING to do with the summer months. I can post the calendar for you. (That is per my local 14-15 school year). That does not include sick time which can accumulate to 12 days/per year and carry over (which you will get paid for, or you can choose to deduct sick time before you retire!) Personal days I didn't include in that also.

Please leave the "lack of compassion" statements off this thread. That is a common defense (to make insults) in any case for people who don't have facts to back up statements (just throw out comments like that), or for example if you are critical of people like the president (or of a different skin color), you are automatically deemed a racist. Those comments have no place in this thread. Leave them out.
So what exactly is your point? Do you think you're going to explain to teachers that they actually have it good and should be happy? While it is true that a lot of people would be happy to take the teachers' deal, I'm not sure we want those people teaching our children. You have to accept that the people who actually are teachers aren't buying it and the people we want to become teachers will not as long as people insist on denigrating and vilifying teachers for simply demanding what they are due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina