Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
You really are cut out for the west coast.. No where in NC is really "outdoorsy".
Yeah, nothing to see here in Western Carolina in the mountains or beautiful foothills, just move along...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 10,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel369 View Post
I'm thinking about moving to NC for one year. The job I would have could be located at many different sites around the state, so I'm trying to get a good feel for which city would be best for my interests.

- I'm in my early 20s and won't know anyone so I want somewhere easy to meet people
- Love the outdoors
- Liberal if possible
- Walkable nightlife area

Thanks everyone
You could check out Greenville SC if you check out Asheville. Greenville about 40 minutes south of Asheville, a bigger city and a more happening downtown area. Not as cold in the winter as Asheville. Some great lakes and waterfalls to the west about 40 minutes.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 PM

74 posts, read 112,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I clearly said my experience was more limited with the Western part of NC. Many other states have lakes, rivers and a coastline...
Let's play your game - list of 20 best national parks in the Nation

The List: America’s 20 Best State Parks | adventure journal

Only one, just one is in NC. More than 50% are in the West. Who is spreading "tripe" now? That one park is probably amazing to someone who's never been elsewhere. Why are you so sensitive about me stating my opinion? What's your investment? Are you in real estate?
Look, I don't really know you, but were you born on the West Coast? I'm assuming you were, since I see this attitude a lot with people who are from CA, CO, and other states west that are clustered near each other.

"We're the best, everyone else is podunk and sucks by comparison--if you like it there, you haven't been anywhere else."

As a matter of fact, I personally HAVE been "anywhere else", and just because you prefer one type of scenery or weather doesn't mean that everyone is going to agree with you.

What is it? Do you prefer drier weather? Bigger mountains? More outdoor venues to "chill" in? Whatever it is you're angry about, don't take it out on NC. It just plays a different game of nature than you do.

There is no one "best". There is no one amazing, perfect place to live. If you think there is, why don't you go there? What's the beef here?

You seem to be attacking other people's point of view as uneducated, while stating yours as "fact".

Ironically, I think you'd really like Asheville if you ever set foot there. It's pretty nice, even by your standards.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 21,406 times
I would suggest trying Charlotte, NC. There's quite a bit to do there, close to the mountains, white water rafting, lots of parks. Downtown is extremely walk-able, lots of young people live downtown especially closer to the Johnson and Wales campus. Plus you can't beat having football, basketball and baseball stadiums downtown if you're into sports.

I'd stay away from the Triad area - Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point. Lived there for a few years, not much nightlife, and definitely not walk-able. Too spread out.

Raleigh-Durham and Wilmington may be other options to explore should Charlotte/Asheville not suit your needs.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:28 PM

74 posts, read 112,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecuratola View Post
I would suggest trying Charlotte, NC. There's quite a bit to do there, close to the mountains, white water rafting, lots of parks. Downtown is extremely walk-able, lots of young people live downtown especially closer to the Johnson and Wales campus. Plus you can't beat having football, basketball and baseball stadiums downtown if you're into sports.

I'd stay away from the Triad area - Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point. Lived there for a few years, not much nightlife, and definitely not walk-able. Too spread out.

Raleigh-Durham and Wilmington may be other options to explore should Charlotte/Asheville not suit your needs.
I second this. Charlotte's airport is also pretty nice, if you travel a lot. RDU is fine, but..let's just say I wish I had traveled through Charlotte sooner than I did. It's a very nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina