U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2007, 06:22 PM

19 posts, read 77,509 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I need to buy some new tires and want to get something good, reliable and fairly inexpensive, or at least would like to keep it under $120 a tire. I heard Walmart's Auto Dept. is a good place to check out...any other suggestions?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 06:36 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,960,649 times
Costco has the lowest prices, best warranty.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 PM

4,834 posts, read 4,127,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf17 View Post
Hey All,

I need to buy some new tires and want to get something good, reliable and fairly inexpensive, or at least would like to keep it under $120 a tire. I heard Walmart's Auto Dept. is a good place to check out...any other suggestions?

Thanks!!
I bought mine at the local Chevrolet dealership in Dunn, NC. Price was about $20 higher than WalMart for a set of four, but I had more confidence in Chevy mechanics installing and balancing them as opposed to those at WalMart. The last set I bought at WalMart had to be re balanced 2 days after I bought them and they totally wore out at 35,000 miles even though they carried a life term of 40,000 miles. My Chevy bought tires have been on for 20,000 miles and still look near new (50,000 miles tires)...and they have never had to be re balanced. I found that you get what you pay for and I don't like taking chances with tires or brakes.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,802,779 times
The guys that change tires at a dealership typically are not the ASE Certified mechanics but lesser qualified that do oil changes and install tires. Know a guy that goes from job to job installing tires, from different new car dealerships to Wal-Mart and back.

Would I let him install my tires, sure it doesn't take extensive expertise to properly mount and balance tires.

The best service, you will find that at a long established local tire business, and they will be competitive.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:06 AM

2,141 posts, read 5,410,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf17 View Post
Hey All,

Thanks!!
www.tirerack.com

Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 AM

Thumbs up I agree in part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The guys that change tires at a dealership typically are not the ASE Certified mechanics but lesser qualified that do oil changes and install tires. Know a guy that goes from job to job installing tires, from different new car dealerships to Wal-Mart and back.

Would I let him install my tires, sure it doesn't take extensive expertise to properly mount and balance tires.

The best service, you will find that at a long established local tire business, and they will be competitive.
I agree with your reply but only in part as the ASE Certified mechanic who did other work on my car was the one who installed and balanced my tires. There is a very good Goodyear Tire Dealer in town but, compared to the Chevy dealer, the prices are much higher.

I was also told (by the big tire dealer) that the brand name tires sold at WalMart are not of the same calibre as the first line tires made by the same manufacturer...but that's another story itself.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,802,779 times
Goodyear is a franchise, selling Goodyear tires (and brands owned by goodyear). Go to a shop that has a persons name on it, where you could go in and ask to speak to the man who's name is on the sign.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Goodyear is a franchise, selling Goodyear tires (and brands owned by goodyear). Go to a shop that has a persons name on it, where you could go in and ask to speak to the man who's name is on the sign.
alas, all those around here with the owner's name on the sign are small shops and their prices are kinda sorta high! Anyway, I have about 30,000 miles left on the tires warranty and will have a new car long before they wear down very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina