Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 06:45 PM

17 posts, read 24,952 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My family is relocating from South Eastern Wisconsion to Richlands, North Carolina at the beginning of August. My husband is already there working at his new job. Unfortunately, he will not be able to come out and help us move so my 25 year old son will be driving a 16ft Penske truck and I will be driving my SUV with my 7yr old, my 9 yr old and my 1yr old golden retriever.

My husband just drove out via mapquest suggestion which took him through IN, OH, WV, VA into NC. He is worried about us driving that route with the truck by ourselves. My other options are to go through PA (which I am from and used to driving) or through Knoxville into Asheville.

Can anyone give me advise? One way takes us through PA and by Washington DC and crazy traffic and the other is unknown territory and mountains. Thank you for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,483,299 times
It's pretty much a choice like you said, more mountains in less traffic by taking one route or a lot more traffic and more flat areas by heading through Washington. If you're son isn't comfortable handling the truck through the mountains then you'll just have to deal with the DC route. I don't think there are any other viable alternative routes.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:35 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
The sections from Knoxville to Asheville on 40 can be difficult. I'd stick with the Mapquest suggestion.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:43 PM

978 posts, read 2,047,089 times
I'd rather drive through WV. You will go through a longer stretch of mountains, but the grades aren't as steep as I-40. Even better, the highway has more lanes. I hit bad traffic because of a wreck in TN and won't go that way anymore.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,846,062 times
Hi There!

I've made the trip from the Midwest to Coastal NC numerous times and taken pretty much every possible route. The last time we drove it, my husband had a huge Penske Truck with Car Carrier on the back.

We found that the easiest way was up through WV and VA.

I've driven I-40 through Asheville and Knoxville the most, but I swear it seems to rain every time I go that route for some reason! I too have seen a pretty nasty wreck through that stretch, which had traffic backed up forever... some of the twists and turns and inclines aren't fun either.

The VA-WV route is definitely my preferred!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina