Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Actually no. Monetary sovereign governments need to run perpetual deficits to expand the currency supply. Surpluses are currency contraction, which basically drains the private sector balance. Insolvency for the United States is impossible.
I think Greece, Cyprus and Spain and would disagree with you. They outspent their GDP and look where they are. It may take longer for the US to get there but we'll get there. Also, what happens when China calls our loans due?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
As a member of the dwindling middle class I already pay more as a percentage of my income than the wealthier in this country do. But yes I would pay more to give those who are a product of cumulative disadvantage some help early on. I don't know a number amount to give you.
Fair enough, how about a tax rate of over 50%? That is average in Europe. Don't forget to add up to 20% VAT (value added tax) on everything you buy. Can you afford that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I think Greece, Cyprus and Spain and would disagree with you. They outspent their GDP and look where they are. It may take longer for the US to get there but we'll get there. Also, what happens when China calls our loans due?
Is that a joke? They couldn't print their own money. They are members of the EU. Monetary policy is not controlled by each individual country.

In fact, there are many studies that show that had they not been in the EU, they would be in a much better situation.

China owns a small fraction of our debt. The Federal Reserve "bought" more treasuries than we owe China just in the past 5 years. China buys our debt to keep their currency low and the dollar high (in relation to the yuan). They use us just like we use them.

Move along now.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:05 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
[quote=netbrad;35053455]I'm not wealthy and yet somehow I got a tax cut. How much extra are you willing to pay in taxes to fund these mandates?

I did the math. That "100%" comes from us, going to a government that is insolvent. When the federal government defaults on their debt where does that leave NC? NC would be completely dependent on a financially unstable institution and when the bottom falls out where will Medicaid funding come from?

Impossible for the US to become insolvent, unless the Repub. in congress ( see Ted Cruz) force the govt. (shut down) to stop paying its bills. The dream that the world will come to an end is over, except for those who keep repeating the same nonsense over and over till they believe it.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Is that a joke? They couldn't print their own money. They are members of the EU. Monetary policy is not controlled by each individual country.

In fact, there are many studies that show that had they not been in the EU, they would be in a much better situation.

China owns a small fraction of our debt. The Federal Reserve "bought" more treasuries than we owe China just in the past 5 years. China buys our debt to keep their currency low and the dollar high (in relation to the yuan). They use us just like we use them.

Move along now.
Being able to print your own money is not necessarily a good thing. All three of the countries I mentioned had a financial crisis in part due to their spending more than GDP. The US is in the same boat and it doesn't look good.

As for the EU, I wouldn't call taking 10% of every private individual's savings account in Cyprus a positive thing. The EU member countries are having troubles of their own: rising entitlement spending, failed green energy programs, immigration problems, outspending GDP. Sound familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Move along now.
Insulting people isn't very nice.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:15 PM

[quote=Boss;35062515]
Quote:
Impossible for the US to become insolvent, unless the Repub. in congress ( see Ted Cruz) force the govt. (shut down) to stop paying its bills. The dream that the world will come to an end is over, except for those who keep repeating the same nonsense over and over till they believe it.
Math isn't nonsense.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:27 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
The decision not to expand medicaid was a disaster which is closing rural hospitals and literally killing people because of the time it takes for them to get to a hospital. The GOP in the legislature has an ideological agenda that is immune to facts, reason, and reality.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
The decision not to expand medicaid was a disaster which is closing rural hospitals and literally killing people because of the time it takes for them to get to a hospital. The GOP in the legislature has an ideological agenda that is immune to facts, reason, and reality.
If true sounds like a good use of a lawsuit. If anything maybe it will wake them up.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Being able to print your own money is not necessarily a good thing. All three of the countries I mentioned had a financial crisis in part due to their spending more than GDP. The US is in the same boat and it doesn't look good.

As for the EU, I wouldn't call taking 10% of every private individual's savings account in Cyprus a positive thing. The EU member countries are having troubles of their own: rising entitlement spending, failed green energy programs, immigration problems, outspending GDP. Sound familiar?

Will you please stop parroting FauxNews talking points? Do some reading on your own.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:53 PM

613 posts, read 745,989 times
Yes I'm appalled. the budget is too large. Plenty of waste escaped. Still there. Wasting working people's money.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:17 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:

It is not meant to be insulting.. you just have no idea what you are talking about. I recommend you read up on monetary sovereignty and our modern banking system.

How much a country "spends" relative to GDP is irrelevant. Japan is at 250% of GDP, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina