Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Will you please stop parroting FauxNews talking points? Do some reading on your own.
I didn't realize the Washington Post, Forbes, Zerohedge, the AP, Investor's Business Daily, the CBO and news from EU papers used talking points from Fox news. I'll remember that next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
It is not meant to be insulting.. you just have no idea what you are talking about. I recommend you read up on monetary sovereignty and our modern banking system.

How much a country "spends" relative to GDP is irrelevant. Japan is at 250% of GDP, for example.
And it is working out real well for them in Japan:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesgru...-crisis-nears/

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_...01-180314.html

Last edited by netbrad; 06-02-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 04:24 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Talking points from corporate media and politicians bought by special interest groups... it's such a sad state of affairs.

The only ones who have a true clue with regard to the big financial picture are a handful that fall into a pseudo moderate Libertarian bucket that amounts to what many would call mutants. End the useless war on drugs, recall our troops, huge cuts to defense, go back to a gold standard, etc. All blasphemy. Completely unelectable stances - can't even win a primary. No special interests would stand for any of that. Meanwhile self proclaimed ultra conservative Christians apparently believe we better leave everything as is (no Medicaid expansion, no Obamacare, rural hospitals closing, escalating healthcare costs). All because they are somehow led to believe there are "bills" that the US pays... or we "owe" countries like China "money"... it's laughable. It's one big giant global monetary circle jerp that comes down to trade wars. China isn't going to "collect" from us to send themselves back into the dark ages. People are so easily distracted by minutia.

Energy has become more important than protecting our water and food supplies... personal prosperity has become more important than a healthy and educated society... making money is more important than making things. It makes me wonder if people will wake up too late.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
[quote=netbrad;35062659]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

Math isn't nonsense.
You haven't used any math to date

Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times
Quote:
If true sounds like a good use of a lawsuit. If anything maybe it will wake them up.
Belhaven a small hospital that serves Beaufort and Hyde county is the center of a lawsuit. Without that hospital residents of Hyde county especially would have a long commute for care.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:13 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,427 times
[quote=Boss;35066166]
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post

You haven't used any math to date
Continuously spending more than you take in while increasing the amount you spend in entitlements year after year is unsustainable. The only way to satisfy all NC budgetary needs is massive tax increases on everyone (because once they tax the rich they'll want even more) and I'd rather not have a 54% income tax rate.

Medicare/Medicaid becomes insolvent as early as 2026 according to the trustees that administer the program. Would you take money from a program that won't be around able to pay it in 12 years?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:58 AM

412 posts, read 684,606 times
[quote=netbrad;35066767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

Continuously spending more than you take in while increasing the amount you spend in entitlements year after year is unsustainable. The only way to satisfy all NC budgetary needs is massive tax increases on everyone (because once they tax the rich they'll want even more) and I'd rather not have a 54% income tax rate.

Medicare/Medicaid becomes insolvent as early as 2026 according to the trustees that administer the program. Would you take money from a program that won't be around able to pay it in 12 years?
I don't think you would have to increase taxes on everyone, certainly not the middle class who make nowhere near what the top earners in this country make. Mitt Romney paid 14% - and he cuts more jobs than he creates (which is of course what his business paid him to do - Bain).
There are also things that can be done to Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security spending that can reduce the amount given to the wealthier individuals while maintaining levels on those who truly need it. Is it "fair" to those at the top - probably not. But they also proportionately more than the majority in this society and should pay more proportionately.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:21 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
I don't think you would have to increase taxes on everyone, certainly not the middle class who make nowhere near what the top earners in this country make. Mitt Romney paid 14% - and he cuts more jobs than he creates (which is of course what his business paid him to do - Bain).
There are also things that can be done to Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security spending that can reduce the amount given to the wealthier individuals while maintaining levels on those who truly need it. Is it "fair" to those at the top - probably not. But they also proportionately more than the majority in this society and should pay more proportionately.
Personally I'm a democrat and feel that using the wealthy as a piggy bank is also equally as bad as the alternative, but whomever came up with the capital gains tax rate of 15% vs. regular earned income certainly had the wealthy in their back pocket. That was one of the biggest tax coups to have taken place here in the US IMO.

Income is income.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,027 times
It will never happen, because Pols will not be able to give their "friends" loopholes, but the one thing that fixes govenment is:

fairtax.org

Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Personally I'm a democrat and feel that using the wealthy as a piggy bank is also equally as bad as the alternative, but whomever came up with the capital gains tax rate of 15% vs. regular earned income certainly had the wealthy in their back pocket. That was one of the biggest tax coups to have taken place here in the US IMO.

Income is income.
Agreed. I'm not a democrat (registered Independent), but I tend to vote democrat because the republican party has gotten so far out in right field that I don't recognize it anymore, particularly here in NC.

Income IS income. How is earning capital gains any different than owning a franchise where you don't work, but others run it for you, and you earn a salary as CEO of your holdings group?

That salary earned will get taxed even if you never really do much direct work to earn it. How's that different from earning off capital gains? It isn't.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:41 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Agreed. I'm not a democrat (registered Independent), but I tend to vote democrat because the republican party has gotten so far out in right field that I don't recognize it anymore, particularly here in NC.

Income IS income. How is earning capital gains any different than owning a franchise where you don't work, but others run it for you, and you earn a salary as CEO of your holdings group?

That salary earned will get taxed even if you never really do much direct work to earn it. How's that different from earning off capital gains? It isn't.
I third... registered Independent, don't associate with either party for various reasons. Gerrymandering is pandemic and I'm tired of hearing about history - it needs to be revamped so neither party can use it to skew our representation. Both parties use it and cater to special interests instead of their constituents. Disingenuous to argue otherwise and 2 wrongs don't make it right.

The GOP has a knack for getting people to vote against their own interests locally through pawn brokers like the Koch brothers - it doesn't really fly state wide and it certainly doesn't fly for national elections. Yet, since it works locally they'll continue to distract with nonsensical things like religion or misguided ideals of patriotism - it's frankly amazing to me what people will post on social media and the sheer vitriol they feel for certain elected officials. They seem to especially despise when the smart forward thinking people are in charge - it makes me wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina