Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I third... registered Independent, don't associate with either party for various reasons. Gerrymandering is pandemic and I'm tired of hearing about history - it needs to be revamped so neither party can use it to skew our representation. Both parties use it and cater to special interests instead of their constituents. Disingenuous to argue otherwise and 2 wrongs don't make it right.

The GOP has a knack for getting people to vote against their own interests locally through pawn brokers like the Koch brothers - it doesn't really fly state wide and it certainly doesn't fly for national elections. Yet, since it works locally they'll continue to distract with nonsensical things like religion or misguided ideals of patriotism - it's frankly amazing to me what people will post on social media and the sheer vitriol they feel for certain elected officials. They seem to especially despise when the smart forward thinking people are in charge - it makes me wonder.
One of my relatives who lives kinda far out in Eastern Wake (and isn't at all wealthy) posted the oddest thing on social media about Obama's kids having armed guards, but Obama would not approve armed guards for our kids' schools.... well, that's not a federal decision and Obama's kids attend private school and have Secret Service protection because they're his kids.

Umm... the two concepts are not linked.

This is what stirring up all that rhetoric does.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
One of my relatives who lives kinda far out in Eastern Wake (and isn't at all wealthy) posted the oddest thing on social media about Obama's kids having armed guards, but Obama would not approve armed guards for our kids' schools.... well, that's not a federal decision and Obama's kids attend private school and have Secret Service protection because they're his kids.

The scary thing is his vote counts just as much as yours...

It's no wonder the lesser educated states vote red, and the better educated states vote blue. Hey, we just found our conspiracy theory why NC is trying to gut our educational system...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:17 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:

Since the Obama kids attend a Quaker school & The Quakers are, religiously, opposed to all things violent, that sounded like the same type of excrement that people make up & turn into viral emails. I did a search & thought that you might want to check this out. No, Sidwell Friends School has no armed guards

Old 06-03-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Since the Obama kids attend a Quaker school & The Quakers are, religiously, opposed to all things violent, that sounded like the same type of excrement that people make up & turn into viral emails. I did a search & thought that you might want to check this out. No, Sidwell Friends School has no armed guards
Ahh... so it was even worse than I imagined. I half-glanced at the photo that was with it... I just assumed that if anyone armed was near the school they were secret service, who can be armed any time they need to be.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

It's no wonder the lesser educated states vote red, and the better educated states vote blue. Hey, we just found our conspiracy theory why NC is trying to gut our educational system...
It was a she, though I'm sure her husband agrees with her.

And I do think you are correct!

Keep the constituents uneducated and keep their votes.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Sidwell Friends is full of diplomats' kids, and Senators' kids. The place is full of Secret Service people.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:17 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Ahh... so it was even worse than I imagined. I half-glanced at the photo that was with it... I just assumed that if anyone armed was near the school they were secret service, who can be armed any time they need to be.
Well, I lived 10 miles from Philly (in Quaker-country) for most of my life, so the whole thing had an odor. Honestly, I thought the source was one of those wretched viral emails.

Really, The NRA ought to know better. Using a lie about a Quaker school to put guns in schools. . .good going.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:37 PM

412 posts, read 684,419 times
Quote:
Yep. I the general public doesn't have a clue about the issues that can hurt them (economic, environment, health care, etc.) they are much more likely to vote based on social issues.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:09 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,197 times
Quote:
Iit's frankly amazing to me what people will post on social media and the sheer vitriol they feel for certain elected officials.
Vitriol against politicians comes from both sides of the political spectrum.

Quote:
They seem to especially despise when the smart forward thinking people are in charge - it makes me wonder.
Ah yes, no one else has value except for forward-thinking Democrats. Only they can lead the bucktooth rednecks of NC. Well, they've had 100 years and apparently folks got tired of it. We've also seen where Democrat "forward-thinking" leads; see Detroit, California, New York and Seattle. You also rail against Koch money but say nothing of Soros money in NC politics.

So I ask again, what tax rate are you willing to support in order for NC to meet all of its requirements and prevent shortfalls as mentioned by the OP?

Quote:

The issue there is one of hypocrisy. Politicians and the wealthy can afford to provide armed protection for their children while wanting to deny it to the rest of us. And what does your relative's wealth have to do with anything? Oh wait, because they aren't wealthy they must be stupid right? There have been at least 3 comments about it in this thread alone.

Quote:

Yup, we're just too stewpid down here in NC by golly. We need a Democrat to run our lives for us.

What does it say about you when all you have left is the dehumanization of those you disagree with?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Vitriol against politicians comes from both sides of the political spectrum.

Ah yes, no one else has value except for forward-thinking Democrats. Only they can lead the bucktooth rednecks of NC. Well, they've had 100 years and apparently folks got tired of it. We've also seen where Democrat "forward-thinking" leads; see Detroit, California, New York and Seattle. You also rail against Koch money but say nothing of Soros money in NC politics.

So I ask again, what tax rate are you willing to support in order for NC to meet all of its requirements and prevent shortfalls as mentioned by the OP?

The issue there is one of hypocrisy. Politicians and the wealthy can afford to provide armed protection for their children while wanting to deny it to the rest of us. And what does your relative's wealth have to do with anything? Oh wait, because they aren't wealthy they must be stupid right? There have been at least 3 comments about it in this thread alone.

Yup, we're just too stewpid down here in NC by golly. We need a Democrat to run our lives for us.

What does it say about you when all you have left is the dehumanization of those you disagree with?
I'm not answering all of this stuff.

I'm quite fond of my relatives. They aren't poor people. They're just not 1%ers or anything.

They own plenty of weapons (being from the country and all). My point was that you cannot compare the Secret Service detachment assigned to a sitting President's children to a general need for armed guards at all schools.

The children of elites, presidents, and dignitaries are targets for kidnapping and other violence that most kids really would not need to guard against (my own included).

Crap like those Obama's kids have this, why don't ours meme is just Tea Party nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina