Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 PM

277 posts, read 435,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper252 View Post
Fayetteville is nicer than most of eastern nc. But its right next door to Lumberton, probably the worst hell hole in NC.

Most of coastal NC + Greenville is nicer than Fayetteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:34 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Why is New Bern on this list? I wouldn't consider it safe. Crime is an issue here. There was a home invasion a few streets over not long ago. The schools aren't great, the shopping is horrible, movie theater is run down, etc. It lacks decent amenities. But hey, at least we have a murky river, right?

In fact, I'm not sure why most of these towns are on this list. Someone was paid off.............

Old 06-06-2014, 07:24 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
These are the five factors determining who made the list of best cities to live in North Carolina.
  1. Odds of Being a Victim of a Violent Crime
  2. Commute Time
  3. Income
  4. Residents Who Attended Some College
  5. Restaurants Per Capita

Credit Donkey, a credit card comparison company who conducted the study, says:
“Picking the right spot to settle down is no easy decision. "
Living near a major metropolitan area such as Raleigh-Durham offers a broader range of options when it comes to jobs, schools and homes but it also means a higher cost of living.

Smaller towns, on the other hand, offer the southern hospitality you’re looking for at an affordable price. We’ve put together a list of cities that offer the best of both worlds when it comes to work and play.”

Here is who made the list:
Study ranks 10 ‘best cities’ in North Carolina; two local cities make the list | MyFOX8.com - News, Weather, Sports and more from WGHP Fox 8 Television
They forgot Flat Rock. If Hendersonville is #2 then Flat Rock has to be #1. Sidewalks are rolled up promptly at 8PM and ~50% of the population is on Medicare.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:30 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Why is New Bern on this list? I wouldn't consider it safe. Crime is an issue here. There was a home invasion a few streets over not long ago. The schools aren't great, the shopping is horrible, movie theater is run down, etc. It lacks decent amenities. But hey, at least we have a murky river, right?

In fact, I'm not sure why most of these towns are on this list. Someone was paid off.............
New Bern was recently reported to have a significant increase in average income, which is one of the criteria, as well as education (think retirees) and restaurants (NB has some nice ones). Its commute time is negligible...and its crime is likely not as bad as many make it out to be.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:43 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
New Bern, Asheville, and Hendersonville are nice towns.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:11 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think many are misinterpreting this info...they are looking at crime rate, wages, commute time...and Goldsboro and Fayetteville are fairly safe cities....and they also have jobs and close by housing. That makes sense as they are military towns.

You may not want to live there but it doesn't mean they don't meet that criteria.
I think there are many, many safer cities in NC than Goldsboro and Fayetteville....that have much better job and recreational activities.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Hickory....Goldsboro....FAYETTVILLE?!
Same thought popped in my head. I'm assuming they meet the criteria, but the stories I've heard about crime in Goldsboro and Fay are cringe worthy. Wouldn't live in any of those places unless the job's salary was stupendous.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:16 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think many are misinterpreting this info...they are looking at crime rate, wages, commute time...and Goldsboro and Fayetteville are fairly safe cities....and they also have jobs and close by housing. That makes sense as they are military towns.

You may not want to live there but it doesn't mean they don't meet that criteria.
People are reacting to the list because it's at odds with reality. The study claims to be a list of "The Best Cities in NC", which it isn't. If it had simply been titled "The Best Affordable Towns in NC", then it would be less inflammatory though perhaps still a bit inaccurate since Asheville and Hendersonville couldn't possibly be on such a list since they're not the most affordable for their size.

Quote:
  1. Odds of Being a Victim of a Violent Crime
  2. Commute Time
  3. Income
  4. Residents Who Attended Some College
  5. Restaurants Per Capita
1. Why not Violent Crime Rate per Capita? That would seem more sensible. While I cannot find county-by-county statistics on this, I am fairly confident some of the towns on the list are far from the safest and some major cities do quite well comparatively.

2. Traffic... sure it's is a fair cop. I think generally this is something that will look worse the larger a city gets, so I'd expect this to pretty much be an inversion of the NC cities listed by population. This is probably the only thing on the list that is empirically acceptable.

3. This is blatantly false. There is no way the list uses income, and the fact that it claims to can be refuted pretty quickly with a 1 minute google search.

4. Residents who Attended Some College. So... that is a very shaky metric. Why not go for something less nebulous and say percentage of residents with a 4-year degree? Probably because that would tell a similar story to median income. It's a story that everyone on C-D knows without having to look and it's the reason deep down people have trouble accepting this list.

5. Restaurants per Capita. I get the feeling the list is looking at how many McDonald's and Arby's are in the area and not how many local restaurants. I don't know that. It's just a hunch. But I'm pretty sure it's meaningless in the format they're using it.

So... With all that said... I'll point out yet another category that I'm shocked they didn't include. One would think that it would be slightly important. What's the point of moving to a small town to save a buck if there are no jobs there?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:24 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
The University of North Carolina, America’s oldest state university, was chartered in Fayetteville in 1789.
While that is true, that is a weak DYK for something that has zero impact on Fayetteville today.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:56 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Fayetteville and Goldsboro? Seriously? Nonsense. Total nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina