Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:49 AM

153 posts, read 860,518 times

Advertisements

I was getting ready to purchase a car off of a well known dealer lot in North Carolina. The Finance Manager stated he wants to disclose to me that the car was in an accident on his lot, and the damages were paid for by the persons insurance, it was about $2000. This was not reported and the it is not on the CARFAX, the carfax states it has no accidents. Is this illegal? Should I report them? Any suggestions?

I was so in love with the car and was ready to purchase it, and now I will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 08:52 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Not illegal on bit. Carfax is not perfect(nor do they claim do be). They only report what was reported to them

Old 07-04-2014, 08:53 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
CARFAX is a voluntary program. The fact is that the dealer disclosed the accident to you when he didn't have to.

You realize $2000 can literally be a bumper with no other damage?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
I would be grateful they disclosed it. That happens more than you know on car lots and most people never find out.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
It was a car dealer wasn't it?

Old 07-04-2014, 01:23 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

You realize $2000 can literally be a bumper with no other damage?
My wife's car got backed into in a parking lot. There was a little dint and some paint damage. The bill was $1500. It's pretty labor intensive as they have to remove the part, sand it down, remove the dint, and repaint.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
I was getting ready to purchase a car off of a well known dealer lot in North Carolina. The Finance Manager stated he wants to disclose to me that the car was in an accident on his lot, and the damages were paid for by the persons insurance, it was about $2000. This was not reported and the it is not on the CARFAX, the carfax states it has no accidents. Is this illegal? Should I report them? Any suggestions?

He disclosed it. Sounds honest to me.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:39 PM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
The OP highlights a really interesting reality. CarFax, or any similar data reporting service, is only as good as the information they have access to. There are plenty of large companies, including dealers, that self insure for all but catastrophic losses. They gain nothing by reporting damage to their owned inventory, loaner cars, employee driven cars, etc.... Doesn't matter if it's a door ding that needs a $50 paintless repair, or a nearly totaled new truck, you can't assume ANYTHING you buy is damage free, even if it's brand new, or has a gloriously clean CarFax that claims that it's a shining unicorn of a wonderful buy. The fact that the dealer notified the OP of a minor, low cost repair is actually pretty remarkable. Many or even most, are not going to say a thing, if they know they will never get called out on it.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:09 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post

The dealer was being honest with you, and as others have pointed out, $ 2k in damages is fairly minor. Maybe the dealer discounted the price to you because of this ? If not, I would have asked for a better price.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:23 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
The dealer was being honest with you, and as others have pointed out, $ 2k in damages is fairly minor. Maybe the dealer discounted the price to you because of this ? If not, I would have asked for a better price.
6 year old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: