Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times

Advertisements

Geesh: how difficult is this:

Acceptable Photo ID Starting in 2016

Unexpired North Carolina drivers' license, including a learners’ permit or provisional license

Unexpired North Carolina non-operators identification card (DMV ID Card)

Unexpired United States passport

United States military identification card

Veterans Identification Card

Tribal enrollment card issued by a federally recognized tribe

Tribal enrollment card issued by tribe recognized by North Carolina

Out-of-state drivers' license or non-operators identification card (valid only if the person’s voter registration date in the county is within 90 days of the date of the election)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Not Mexico, Guatemala, El Savador, or any other third world bunch who want to "break in" illegally and take all of OUR rights from us. How many illegals can you personally support? 5? 10? 50?
Many high level business leaders and the power elite on the "right" and "left" support illegal immigration behind the scenes. Of course they pander to popular sentiment publicly, while continuing to leave incentives in place for the continued influx of cheap labor. The simple fact is, its a source of cheap labor and they personally don't live in the middle class and working class neighborhoods and have to put up with the consequences of any of it. Middle class = middle of the road suckers..

Old 07-07-2014, 05:22 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I've been a poll worker in Mecklenburg for 20 years and these some of these evil & hateful b--$$turds come in to see if we are giving away free food and drinks! The best ones are those with multiple names because they can't remember what factious name they used to register with. One lady had me look up 6 different first names in the book. None of them were correct!!! I said "you don't know who you are, do you?" and she said I was racist! Guess which party she could not vote for that day? One small Victory for the Republic, but how many more of these "special individuals" slipped through the polls?
Well keep up the good work, we need more strong poll workers like yourself! Most of them actually do a fine job (including the ones where I was), or they at least stand their ground within what the sorry laws permit. But then there are others...

Old 07-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Many high level business leaders and the power elite on the "right" and "left" support illegal immigration behind the scenes. Of course they pander to popular sentiment publicly, while continuing to leave incentives in place for the continued influx of cheap labor. The simple fact is, its a source of cheap labor and they personally don't live in the middle class and working class neighborhoods and have to put up with the consequences of any of it. Middle class = middle of the road suckers..
So true.

Kudos to the Murietta, CA residents who had the spine to fight for their fine city (one of the few left in an area of that state that has become nothing but a big cesspool.

Murrieta immigration protests: 6 arrested

Now if they shipped them all to NW DC or Montgomery County, MD; then the "pols" for sure would all be singing a very different tune.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgbjhgbjhg View Post
Most states, certainly in the north, have outreach efforts to register voters. After all, it's the America Way, and voter participation in high numbers validates our democracy.
It would be one thing if it was unbiased, but in most cases they are targeted to certain subsets of the population (ie. people on the dole). I would love to see the day when they start mailing drives to registered gun owners for example, I will totally faint.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well I guess I stand confused then, since this is apparently what you think of North Carolina and Carolinians:
As someone who has lived in North Carolina my entire life, most of the quotes you've mined here are pretty reasonable. You can drop the "voter fraud" premise. It's transparently an attempt to cement an electoral advantage. They even admitted as much. Not like there's anything we can do about it.

But if people keep moving here eventually the demographics will outweigh all of it.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
'Actually, this hits the elderly who have given up their drivers licences. Many did not have birth certificates. Families vouched for them to get licences. Those people who vouched for them are now long dead & without the license, they don't have the paperwork to get the voter ID.'

Complete nonsense. If you had a license you can get a NC ID card free of charge.
So how do they cash a check? That's the main thing I have wondered about people without ID. Most have the need to cash a check from time to time, especially if they don't have a checking account.

I have no problem with the ID part, but limiting early voting, not allowing college IDs, and doing away with preregistration for 16 and 17 year-olds is definitely an attempt to keep certain people away from the polls.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
This is an issue of great concern to me, and it's not a North-South issue, as several Northern states have practiced the same exclusionary measures. It's wrong whether in the North or the South. And I raised it (politely) on this forum because it is an issue of current consequence in NC. And when it was an issue in RI, I addressed it with Rep. Cicilline when he was sauntering through the Dark Lady. And if it becomes an issue in Connecticut or New York, I'll be equally concerned.

I know you love NC -- you've been there, what, 15+ years after living what you have often described on the Rhode Island forum as a very unhappy life in RI for 65+ years. I'm glad you're enjoying your time there. NC seems more aligned with your personality. And that's good -- I'm happy for you. People should live where they are happy.

That said, wouldn't it be nice if you'd address the issue rather than trying to settle scores. It's called "dialog."
How about you address all of your negative NC comments listed in post #16 by massnative71? I'm pretty curious about your agenda here as well.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
So how do they cash a check? That's the main thing I have wondered about people without ID. Most have the need to cash a check from time to time, especially if they don't have a checking account.

I have no problem with the ID part, but limiting early voting, not allowing college IDs, and doing away with preregistration for 16 and 17 year-olds is definitely an attempt to keep certain people away from the polls.

Most likely they would need some type of bank account at the bank where they present a check for cashing. Savings, mortgage. If you don't have an account at a bank, they usually won't cash a check for you. The only other way I can think of is to take the check to the bank it was drawn on so they can confirm the maker's account balance. Never had that problem. One would think there are very few people who don't carry some sort of identification, even if they don't have a driver's license or they don't vote.

Anyone thinking that getting an ID card is something subversive, is not playing with a full deck.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Most likely they would need some type of bank account at the bank where they present a check for cashing. Savings, mortgage. If you don't have an account at a bank, they usually won't cash a check for you. The only other way I can think of is to take the check to the bank it was drawn on so they can confirm the maker's account balance. Never had that problem. One would think there are very few people who don't carry some sort of identification, even if they don't have a driver's license or they don't vote.

Anyone thinking that getting an ID card is something subversive, is not playing with a full deck.
I'm thinking of the MANY people who can't get a checking account for whatever reason...bad credit or whatever other reasons exist. Lots of folks (poor, elderly) still get actual paper checks that have to be cashed, and these are exactly the people that are supposedly being disenfranchised. It doesn't make sense for anyone not to have some sort of official ID for this and many other situations where one is needed. I just don't get it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina