Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:49 AM

210 posts, read 426,058 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved to Raleigh from NYC last month, and I am now in the process of getting my Driver's License. According to the driver's handbook, there has to be a written test; however, a coworker of mine who also moved here from NY told me the written test is no longer required as of May of this year (i.e. he didn't have to take it himself). The only required tests are the road and vision tests.

I searched the DMV site and google, and I couldn't find any information to validate this information. Does anybody know anything about it? If you do, could you point me to the source?

I have been trying to reach the DMV and will update this thread if I get through.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 12:01 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,287 times
According to the NCDOT website , "New residents are encouraged to become familiar with North Carolina license requirements and traffic laws by reading the N.C. Driver’s Handbook. They must successfully complete the written, road sign recognition and vision tests to obtain a North Carolina driver license."

Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
There is a new rule enacted by NCDMV this past Spring in regards to the written test.
As long as you have a valid in state or out of state license no written test is required.
However if you have an expired license or brand new driver (1st DL ever) those will be required in taking the written test.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 AM

210 posts, read 426,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There is a new rule enacted by NCDMV this past Spring in regards to the written test.
As long as you have a valid in state or out of state license no written test is required.
However if you have an expired license or brand new driver (1st DL ever) those will be required in taking the written test.
I got to talk to a DMV representative and she validated that the written test is no longer required. Also, a road test might be required; however, it is at the discretion of the person conducting the eye exam.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:02 PM

60 posts, read 89,844 times
Only thing the 4 of us who recently moved here had to do was the eye test/road sign identification. We all had valid licenses from another state and good driving records. Studied for the written test expecting to take it but in the end it does not appear to be required now.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
I really wish they had not dropped the written test requirement. People need to know the driving rules and not everyone will bother to study them.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I really wish they had not dropped the written test requirement. People need to know the driving rules and not everyone will bother to study them.
I didn't read the NC study guide and still passed the written test when I moved to NC.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I didn't read the NC study guide and still passed the written test when I moved to NC.
Doesn't mean everyone would. Some laws do vary between states.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Doesn't mean everyone would. Some laws do vary between states.
That is true, but most of the questions they ask are pretty universal.

I kind of wish we would go to a federal drivers license system like most countries in Europe have. This would make it easier when moving.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
That is true, but most of the questions they ask are pretty universal.

I kind of wish we would go to a federal drivers license system like most countries in Europe have. This would make it easier when moving.
I agree. And easier to ensure that people aren't using a fake DL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: