U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 07:59 PM

219 posts, read 895,434 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain what the purpose of hiring your own building inspector is? Are they just going to look to make sure that it passes code or will they look to make sure that the house is built according to options that were purchased? Also, will they check to make sure that items are installed according to the manufacturers rules? Finally, what will they do if something is built according to code but not according to what the customer wants?
Thanks

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:56 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,552,144 times
Thumbs up Home Inspector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeckoff1 View Post
Can someone explain what the purpose of hiring your own building inspector is? Are they just going to look to make sure that it passes code or will they look to make sure that the house is built according to options that were purchased? Also, will they check to make sure that items are installed according to the manufacturers rules? Finally, what will they do if something is built according to code but not according to what the customer wants?
Thanks

Melissa
I believe you may be referring to Home Inspectors. Most banks now require the buyer to hire one as they want to protect what investment they plan to put into the home being bought by one of their clients.

Home Inspectors look to see if there are any safety hazards like bad electrical connections, smoke detectors and such. They also look for past bad repairs and anything else the potential buyer should be aware of.

generally the potential buyer will have a set budget of how much he/she is willing to spend to repair the home, after which they can renege on the sale or ask the seller to chip in.

I would not buy a home without a Home Inspector personally. Ask your Realtor what he/she thinks about this.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 AM

219 posts, read 895,434 times
I was referring to a new home inspector; not resale

Thanks

Melissa

Old 12-20-2007, 11:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,451,207 times
They pretty much do the things listed above. THey make sure everything is up to code and make sure nothing will become an unecessary problem.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:04 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeckoff1 View Post
I was referring to a new home inspector; not resale

Thanks

Melissa
New homes need inspections worse than older homes sometimes!!

Old 12-23-2007, 01:27 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,451,207 times
Yeah they do. I've seen some pretty shoddy work in some new construction jobs in and around Charlotte. I'm sure its as bad all over.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 AM

76 posts, read 276,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Yeah they do. I've seen some pretty shoddy work in some new construction jobs in and around Charlotte. I'm sure its as bad all over.
I would say you are correct.
I have found that a good rain is an effective tool when looking for quality. It sure tells on the concrete guys when the basement or garage slab holds water in low spots. It tells on the framer when the subfloor holds water too. In low spots on the subfloor, a weight distribution problem may be present. Building inspectors rarely call the builder on these problems.
Look at the lumber. Is it black and covered with mold? That's my biggest pet peeve. Mold is not necessarily from improper building techniques, as some imply. The mold is delivered to the job via new lumber. Again, building inspectors rarely, if ever, call the builder on this problem.
Windows are a very important component of every house. Quality aside, are they installed according to manufacturer's specs? Building inspectors could care less but the manufacturer will void the warranty in a heartbeat.
A quality home inspector will inspect the home at different phases of the construction, not just at the end. Hire one, you'll be glad you did.
No, I am not an inspector. I am a carpenter.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:08 AM

206 posts, read 454,433 times
Correction, a home inspector does not conduct a code inspection.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:08 PM

135 posts, read 464,055 times
You definitely don't want to skip out on a home inspection before buying or selling, it may cost you a couple hundred now but save you thousands later ! Dont EVER buy a house without getting it inspected ! Theres things you wont notice like Mold, irregular settlement of the foundation, etc. Don't be cheap and not get a home inspection ! You will be sorry in the end and wish you had of !!!!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,438 times
One problem about going through your realtor to get a home inspector is that the home inspector will bend over backwards NOT to ruin the sale. He realizes the realtor, who, after all is the guy who he's most loyal to, stands to make--or lose--a lot of money depending on whether the sale goes through. Thus he will be sorely tempted to paint as rosy a picture as possible. I'm not saying the inspector would be dishonest, just not as much on "your side" as you need. I recommend finding an inspector independently and use other means to verify his qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina