Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM

354 posts, read 627,397 times

Advertisements

I didn't know whether to post this in the City vs City thread or not, But I am very curious to know why is it that when Transplants come to NC whether to live or to visit they always say NC is a boring state or that there is nothing here to do or there is no jobs here. Me Personality it ain't nothing new under the sun its what you make out oof being here. To me there is plenty to do here so what do you all think it is???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Probably depends on where they are from and what they are used to doing. I mean if your free time is taken up by Broadway shows other things you can only get in NYC, and you move here expecting it to be "NY lite" just because there are a lot of transplants, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Basically if a person CHOOSES to move here and then finds that the area doesn't meet their needs, you can chalk it up to poor research.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
I didn't know whether to post this in the City vs City thread or not, But I am very curious to know why is it that when Transplants come to NC whether to live or to visit they always say NC is a boring state or that there is nothing here to do or there is no jobs here. Me Personality it ain't nothing new under the sun its what you make out oof being here. To me there is plenty to do here so what do you all think it is???
They don't. Some like it, some don't, but as with most things, the detractors are louder than those who are just out enjoying themselves.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Some people just like to gripe.

Some people don't do their research on an area to get a feel for it and see if it will meet their needs.

The reverse is also true, of course.

In truth, I think that there are people who wind up needing to move from wherever they grew up because they don't make enough money to live there comfortably. Some of those people are open to new places, do their research, and move with a positive attitude. These people seem to be happiest.

Others don't really want to be here, but they cannot bear to suck it up and live in a very small (possibly undesirable) area near where they came from because of any variety of reasons (want to keep up appearances, have a spouse that won't do that and prefers a higher standard of living, cannot find a good job, etc).

Soo... they come to NC and gripe endlessly about how it's so inferior to where they used to live, when in reality, it's not at all inferior. It's just not where they want to live.

I can appreciate that it's not where they want to live, mind you, I just don't really want to hear them gripe about it because I didn't make them move here.

Their lack of job/income/ability to live in a good area where they want to live is why they moved.

And that's not anyone's fault but theirs, if fault must be assigned.

You want to live near the action in NYC? Get a good job, live in a cheaper place, etc. You can do it, if that's your thing.

You want a big house and you don't make NYC nice suburbs/big house money? I reckon that you need to move someplace you can afford.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:12 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,989 times
That is a generalization. Not all transplants find the area boring. I think the ones that are unhappy are the ones complaining and I guess maybe you hear them and not the happy ones.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
I live in a community that is new construction and nearly ALL transplants. I rarely, if ever, hear someone saying it's boring here.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Basically if a person CHOOSES to move here and then finds that the area doesn't meet their needs, you can chalk it up to poor research.
Or a combination of hype and lack of objective information about the area that seems to pervade certain media outlets?

It seems whenever someone offers a contrary opinion they're attacked!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Or a combination of hype and lack of objective information about the area that seems to pervade certain media outlets?

It seems whenever someone offers a contrary opinion they're attacked!
That's another generalization, RR.

I do think that the media hype around certain areas (and parts of NC qualify) borders on the ridiculous and I do get snarked at now and then and accused of not liking transplants (which is false, for we are all transplants when you think of it, unless we're native Americans)... truth is, I don't like transplants who gripe and complain about it here, because it's my home state. And I think that there'd be less of that griping and complaining if people looked at the area with a critical eye.

That's really all there is to it. Moving (especially with a family) is a huge decision. If someone cannot take time to research (such as a quick job offer for an unemployed person), I can understand that, but even those people should not forget that being gainfully employed in an area that's not your favorite part of the country is better than being homeless and starving in your favorite city.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 PM

354 posts, read 627,397 times
All of the gripe they say about NC, I wonder if they say the same about SC GA & VA

Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM

15 posts, read 31,347 times
Goodness! We are here almost 3 years and have't even begun to explore Raleigh. We love going to downtown Durham. We live just outside of Orange County just over the Alamance County line. We like to get to Saxapahaw, Burlington and Greensboro.

Coming from upstate NY I think there's plenty to do here. We love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina