Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:11 PM

373 posts, read 775,075 times

Advertisements

A few points.

- Carrying concealed in NC with a Florida Permit is one thing if you are visiting or traveling through NC.
Moving to NC and now becoming a resident of NC may in essence revoke your Florida Permit in Florida after a given amount of time and before the expiration date of your Florida Permit.
In turn, if your CCW permit is no longer valid in Florida, then you would not be legal to carry in NC.
At that point, the number of laws being broken and the penalties for them are a whole new ball game.

- Local cops and sheriff deputies do not always know the law.
The law may also be interpreted differently depending on what county you are in.
Being right might not make any difference if you spend time in jail and have to spend a fortune on legal fees just to prove common sense.

- Even for as long as your CCW Permit is valid in NC, that may only limit you to carrying.
So, you may not be able to buy or sell a handgun at all with your Florida CCW permit.
You would need to confirm the extent of this for yourself.

Advice:
- If you are moving to NC, forget the Florida CCW Permit and just get your NC CCW Permit.
Then, your NC CCW Permit will be valid in Florida when you travel back home.
Florida gun laws and attitudes towards gun owners are much more relaxed than in NC.

- When it comes to gun ownership and following the law, don't rely on grey areas of the law nor have faith that common sense in law enforcement or the justice system will be on your side.
Better smart than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:19 AM

468 posts, read 821,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I do not have a permit in my home state as I move somewhat often. I've never had any trouble, but sometimes cops don't know the law. That being said, some states require residents to obtain a permit in that state. North Carolina isn't one of those states.
That's fine, but if the OP doesn't plan to move back to Florida ( I don't really know what they plan to do) it would just make sense to wait until you move and then get your permit in-state.

As you said, some cops don't know the law. Why make it any tougher on yourself if you run into one of these LEOs. I just happen to like having my papers in order with as few questions as possible from the law enforcement community.

Having permits/licenses from different states just opens you up to all sorts of time-wasting questions even if all your papers are legal and in order.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 PM
AT9 AT9 started this thread

691 posts, read 1,214,187 times
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. To answer one question, we don't have any current plans or hopes to move back to Florida.

I chose not to get it because, frankly, I don't feel the need to carry. I'm a large, young male who almost always sticks to decent parts of wherever I live and who keeps to myself. As a result, I rarely feel like I'm in danger or a target (perhaps I'm also naive). I'm also moving to NC for school so it's not like I can carry on campus anyway. My wife, however, is going to get it because, being a small, young female, she often feels far more vulnerable and more of a target than I do when she's by herself. Plus, her dad is paying for it.

As for the legal answer, I think it's more straightforward the more I think about/research it. Florida issues to residents and non-residents alike, and NC allows Florida permits. It wouldn't make sense to allow residents of the other 49 states to carry with a Florida permit but exclude NC resident. As a side note, why would you need to tell a cop that you're carrying unless you're under arrest or something? Is that a requirement any time a cop pulls you over or stops you for questions? Either way, we'll make sure to verify with the local sheriff's office before she carries (she doesn't even have a gun yet). No need to gamble when we can find out for sure from the sheriff or school (I'm going to law school, ironically ).

Old 07-20-2014, 03:11 PM

13,336 posts, read 26,813,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
No need to gamble when we can find out for sure from the sheriff or school (I'm going to law school, ironically ).
Congratulations on the law school admission. Now you certainly don't want to be violating any local laws.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:22 PM
AT9 AT9 started this thread

691 posts, read 1,214,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Congratulations on the law school admission. Now you certainly don't want to be violating any local laws.
Very true! If I discover a concrete answer, I'll come back to this thread to share the info.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:56 PM

978 posts, read 2,041,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. To answer one question, we don't have any current plans or hopes to move back to Florida.

As a side note, why would you need to tell a cop that you're carrying unless you're under arrest or something? Is that a requirement any time a cop pulls you over or stops you for questions? Either way, we'll make sure to verify with the local sheriff's office before she carries (she doesn't even have a gun yet). No need to gamble when we can find out for sure from the sheriff or school (I'm going to law school, ironically ).
NC is one of the few states that requires notifying officers when you are carrying concealed. Actually, the offer will see it anyways after pulling your info. I'm glad my state doesn't require it as it can sometimes complicate a simple traffic ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina