Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times

Advertisements

Recently, we learned that Sealed Air Corp (the makers of Bubble Wrap) were relocating their HQ from Northern NJ to Charlotte. This is the largest Fortune 500 company relocation in Charlotte's history (and possibly NC's history as well). While reading about this story on a NJ media publication, the following quote caught my eye....

Quote:
"Still, both Hughes and fellow Rutgers economist Joseph Seneca said that the North Carolina incentives are not that large and are likely to have been only one factor in Sealed Air’s decision to move. New Jersey has much higher land costs, a higher cost of living and higher taxes than does North Carolina. New Jersey’s corporate income tax is 9 percent, and its top personal income tax rate is 8.97 percent. By contrast, North Carolina’s corporate tax rate is 6 percent, and its top income tax rate is 5.8 percent."
Elmwood Park-based Sealed Air Corp.'s move to N.C. will cost N.J. 200 jobs - News - NorthJersey.com

During McCrory's campaign for governor, he made it explicitly clear that lowering NC's corporate tax and creating a lower flat tax on income would make NC more competitive for job relocations. Well, here we are; it's 2014 and we've had a TON of major job announcements since McCrory took office. We now even have economists from other states citing McCrory's tax rates as a major reason for NC's business friendly status. Your thoughts? Was McCrory (the "wicked" republican) actually right about something? Hmmmmmmmmm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Recently, we learned that Sealed Air Corp (the makers of Bubble Wrap) were relocating their HQ from Northern NJ to Charlotte. This is the largest Fortune 500 company relocation in Charlotte's history (and possibly NC's history as well). While reading about this story on a NJ media publication, the following quote caught my eye....

Quote:
"Still, both Hughes and fellow Rutgers economist Joseph Seneca said that the North Carolina incentives are not that large and are likely to have been only one factor in Sealed Air’s decision to move. New Jersey has much higher land costs, a higher cost of living and higher taxes than does North Carolina. New Jersey’s corporate income tax is 9 percent, and its top personal income tax rate is 8.97 percent. By contrast, North Carolina’s corporate tax rate is 6 percent, and its top income tax rate is 5.8 percent."
Elmwood Park-based Sealed Air Corp.'s move to N.C. will cost N.J. 200 jobs - News - NorthJersey.com

During McCrory's campaign for governor, he made it explicitly clear that lowering NC's corporate tax and creating a lower flat tax on income would make NC more competitive for job relocations. Well, here we are; it's 2014 and we've had a TON of major job announcements since McCrory took office. We now even have economists from other states citing McCrory's tax rates as a major reason for NC's business friendly status. Your thoughts? Was McCrory (the "wicked" republican) actually right about something? Hmmmmmmmmm?
I'm not convinced at all. When Bev was governor, we were doing well with getting businesses out here west of Charlotte. It's definitely dropped off w/McCrory.

Face it, he needs Charlotte's votes to be re-elected. People are not happy that he's not "Governor Train". The NJ website didn't happen to mention that the lower tax rates in NJ are lower than NC, did they?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

Face it, he needs Charlotte's votes to be re-elected. ....
No he doesn't. It's not even on the radar.

The net vote from the large cities in NC is pretty small. This is because people tend to vote their party rather than vote for their real interests. In Charlotte there are are a few large demographics who will vote for the Democrats no matter who is on the ticket. It's very tough for a GOP candidate to win many net votes from Charlotte.

In 2012 McCrory got 2,440,707 votes. However he netted only 3,101 votes from Mecklenburg and almost all that vote came from the suburban areas outside of the Charlotte city limits. Statewide elections in NC are decided by the "Jessiecrats" in the Eastern part of the state. Always have been. They voted for Perdue in 2008 and they voted by McCrory by a wide margin in 2012.

So this announcement, IMO isn't about getting the vote because there is none to be had here. It's about the taxes. (or rather lack of them)

Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No he doesn't. It's not even on the radar.

The net vote from the large cities in NC is pretty small. This is because people tend to vote their party rather than vote for their real interests. In Charlotte there are are a few large demographics who will vote for the Democrats no matter who is on the ticket. It's very tough for a GOP candidate to win many net votes from Charlotte.

In 2012 McCrory got 2,440,707 votes. However he netted only 3,101 votes from Mecklenburg and almost all that vote came from the suburban areas outside of the Charlotte city limits. Statewide elections in NC are decided by the "Jessiecrats" in the Eastern part of the state. Always have been. They voted for Perdue in 2008 and they voted by McCrory by a wide margin in 2012.

So this announcement, IMO isn't about getting the vote because there is none to be had here. It's about the taxes. (or rather lack of them)
The tax differential is primarily in property taxes, driven by the Abbott Districts in NJ.

I'm seeing a decrease in jobs coming into this area rather than an increase. I don't think its the tax decrease at the top that was offset with increases further down the chain.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:44 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
We are attracting some jobs. I don't know what percentage we can attribute to low taxes and what percentage we can attribute to the general condition of a (booming) recovery.

But there is no doubt that McCrory's tax cuts have hit the budget hard. There's been huge infighting even within the republican/teaparty over what to cut and where since tax revenues are so low. Are we spending a dollar to make a dime?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

But there is no doubt that McCrory's tax cuts have hit the budget hard. ...
Depends upon your definition of hard. The difference between the 2012 general fund revenues (Perdue) and 2013 revenues (McCrory) was a decrease of $63M. This on a revenue plan of ~$19.6B.

i.e. the difference was a drop of 0.32%, or 1/3 or 1%.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Depends upon your definition of hard. The difference between the 2012 general fund revenues (Perdue) and 2013 revenues (McCrory) was a decrease of $63M. This on a revenue plan of ~$19.6B.

i.e. the difference was a drop of 0.32%, or 1/3 or 1%.
The reports I read said NC had a HALF BILLION DOLLAR shortfall. That's "hard" to me.

If we had not cut taxes so much we'd have a large surplus for teacher raises, etc instead of all the bickering. Overall tax cuts will cost NC between $512MM and $700 MM (projected) this fiscal year.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
Quote:
The reports I read said NC had a HALF BILLION DOLLAR shortfall. That's "hard" to me.

If we had not cut taxes so much we'd have a large surplus for teacher raises, etc instead of all the bickering. Overall tax cuts will cost NC between $512MM and $700 MM (projected) this fiscal year.
So what you are saying is....Screw these companies and the jobs they are bringing to our City!
We don't need you or your jobs! Go away you are a burden to Charlotte. Bev did this for years and it worked well for "Your Side" - giving NC a financial crisis that Pat is trying to dig us out of.

By the way, teachers don't need raises, they should be happy they have a job. If they don't like the job, quit. There a millions of people looking for a job. If the trash collectors or all government employees start screaming for a raise, do you simply give them one?

I'm glad your not in charge of writing the checks.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Plus the state shortfalls mean cuts to county & local governments which means that those taxes go up.

Been there done that. NJ's fiscal problems all trace back to 2 things. Christie Whitman's tax cuts & the fall-out from that fiasco and the Abbott Districts. They have resulted is suffocating property taxes & a state pension system on the brink of bankruptcy.

These are North Jersey companies. Land & property values are suffocating. Both prices are way cheaper in South Jersey, but you can't get away from the god-awful property taxes without leaving the state.

That said, I still don't think that McCrory's tax cuts play into this one little bit.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
So what you are saying is....Screw these companies and the jobs they are bringing to our City!
We don't need you or your jobs! Go away you are a burden to Charlotte. Bev did this for years and it worked well for "Your Side" - giving NC a financial crisis that Pat is trying to dig us out of.

By the way, teachers don't need raises, they should be happy they have a job. If they don't like the job, quit. There a millions of people looking for a job. If the trash collectors or all government employees start screaming for a raise, do you simply give them one?

I'm glad your not in charge of writing the checks.
This is the STATE forum mike. I'm not commenting about any "city" Leave your petty, distorted personal differences and red herrings aside.

And it's
*there are;
*you're

You won't get another reply from me. Your level of discourse and understanding aren't sufficient to justify any effort from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina