Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 7,332 times

Advertisements

I know this has been asked a hundred times before, but I'm having a difficult time finding good information regarding where to move in North Carolina. So here's my story:we are looking to move down to North Carolina sometime next fall from NY. We would like a small city/town outside a larger city. I would love an area that doesn't require us driving far to get to places like a gas station or a grocery store. I would also love an area that has a "Main Street" that we could walk down with shops, restaurants etc. We are a family of five (my husband is in his early thirties, I'm in my mid twenties and our children at the time of moving will be five, almost four and one so schools are very very important to us and a major factor in where we decide to relocate to. My husband and I will both be going down with out jobs (he's in construction, I would like a job waitressing since I have the children) so an area with jobs is also a factor. We would like to be within three hours of the beach. The three areas we have looked into so far is the triangle area (cary and apex especially), Charlotte , and Wilmington. Any suggestions on areas outside of these three locations? Any info on neighborhoods or developments would be helpful. Thank you all in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
I believe Apex would fit your criteria. Close to Raleigh (15-20 minutes to downtown) and close to RTP as well. We have a fantastic downtown that really buzzes on the weekends. Safe area with very good schools and low crime. The only thing is the cost of living. Apex and Cary are going to be more expensive housing wise then some other Triangle communities. Other than that concern, it seems to fit your bill to a tee!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:53 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Charlotte is more than 3 hours from the beach-- 3 and 45 minutes. Otherwise I would suggest Davidson, outside Charlotte.

Clayton in the Triangle is also a good fit.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:00 AM

We've been looking at homes for sale in Apex and Cary and we were surprised at the cost of houses there. We live an hour north of NYC, and the houses are just about the same as there. From what I've seen of Apex and Cary, they do seem like the places more suited for us.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyG625 View Post
We've been looking at homes for sale in Apex and Cary and we were surprised at the cost of houses there. We live an hour north of NYC, and the houses are just about the same as there. From what I've seen of Apex and Cary, they do seem like the places more suited for us.
Housing prices (especially on new construction) have increased quite a bit in the last two years in Apex, Cary and the desirable places to live around the Triangle. The big difference will be your tax bill will be significantly lower from a similar priced house in NY, even upstate NY where the property taxes are less than Long Island.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:18 AM

Did you relocate to NC, or were you born and raised? I've always said I could never see myself raising kids here (I live in the Hudson Valley). The winters are getting out of control and the cost of living is awful.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Did you relocate to NC, or were you born and raised? I've always said I could never see myself raising kids here (I live in the Hudson Valley). The winters are getting out of control and the cost of living is awful.
I moved here from northern Va (DC Area) about 8 years ago. It's a great place to raise children. We're overrun with them!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Well, it's been said again and again that you shouldn't move anywhere without at least one job lined up, particularly with children. The places with the better schools are also (not surprisingly) the more expensive places to live. Hope you have several months of savings.

Are you only looking at NC or considering other states as well? What has drawn you to this state in particular? What places in NC have you visited and liked (if you've never visited, how do you know you will like it?). I would read the City-Data city descriptions and see which places have more of "what you like about NC" to narrow down to a short list, then try to find a job in one of them before uprooting and moving on a "wing and a prayer".

Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM

We will be moving down with enough money to live off of for a year god forbid we cannot find jobs. With that being said, we will be going down several times within the next year to visit areas and once we find an area we like, find an apartment and hopefully a job. I've been to NC once and visited Wilmington which I do like, but am basing our list of areas to visit off of the education systems, location to amenities, and of course, unemployment rates/job opportunities. We will be visiting in October and some of the areas we will be checking out include the triangle area, Wilmington, Jacksonville, Fayetteville, and Greenville.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
We will be moving down with enough money to live off of for a year god forbid we cannot find jobs. With that being said, we will be going down several times within the next year to visit areas and once we find an area we like, find an apartment and hopefully a job. I've been to NC once and visited Wilmington which I do like, but am basing our list of areas to visit off of the education systems, location to amenities, and of course, unemployment rates/job opportunities. We will be visiting in October and some of the areas we will be checking out include the triangle area, Wilmington, Jacksonville, Fayetteville, and Greenville.
I think you can cross Jacksonville off your list--very Military-centered, and those sorts of places are generally not where someone would want to raise kids. Think lots of tattoo parlors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina