U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM

27 posts, read 97,246 times
The only time you don't have to take a written test to obtain your NC drivers licence is if you hold a Commercial Drivers License (CDL). Because it is valid in all 50 states the DMV just issues you a NC "CDL" with no additional testing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM

3,066 posts, read 6,986,722 times
Believe me, the laws about these things are far more lenient in NC!!!! I missed them because I answered according to what I thought would be the safest!

Anyway, I really would have studied had I known. I was given some wrong information when I phoned in, but it is fine. I haven't even had a ticket in the last 8 years, so no worries about unsafe driving.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The test asks about the laws of NC, as you are expected to know and obey the laws of NC, as part of your privileged of driving. Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse in NC.

I'll admit the waiting period after a DUI is a bit of a stretch, as I'm sure that is explained by the judge when your license is revoked. The helmet law would only apply to motorcycles, and you have to get a "motorcycle endorsement" on your license for that, and that is where that question belongs.

The rest are valid, what would your do if you come upon a tractor on the road in NC. Perhaps you should know before hand.

The good news is if you have a clean driving record when you renew your NC license, you only have to take the eye test, where they also test your knowledge of road signs.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM

23,640 posts, read 19,130,724 times
Thank you Sundaze for starting this thread. The wife and I have the same questions and needs , like you we have relocated from up north where test or no test people drive like oh well.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:56 AM

4,892 posts, read 11,820,656 times
i "read" the booklet while i was on line to take the test. so about 30 minutes. i passed. it wasn't too hard.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 AM

16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
The only people that should need to "study" the handbook, are 15 year olds as they sit in Driver Education class at their high school.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 AM

47 posts, read 152,414 times
THANK YOU... my wife and I are gonna try it Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. One thing I can advise is make sure you have the right documents. We are struggling to find something with my wife's full name on it. We have miltary ID cards and drivers liscense from another state, but because they have middle initials only, they won't accept them. Not being here long enough to get a electric bill that has both our names on it is also a issue.

Jeff

Old 01-10-2008, 06:07 PM
iva

24 posts, read 59,351 times
Thumbs up Documents and test 'cheat sheet'

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2BJUMBO View Post
THANK YOU... my wife and I are gonna try it Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. One thing I can advise is make sure you have the right documents. We are struggling to find something with my wife's full name on it. We have military ID cards and drivers license from another state, but because they have middle initials only, they won't accept them. Not being here long enough to get a electric bill that has both our names on it is also a issue.

Jeff
I went for my license today and had all the documents I needed(I thought). I showed my documents and at first, I was turned away because I was told I needed a government documentation and that I didn't have one that they would accept.
I was really bummed that I had driven 25 miles for nothing and I was con-fused that my two documents were not accepted. One was a government heath card and a Social Security document(not my S.S. card but you will nrrd that, also).
I was about to leave but I decided I wanted to know why these documents weren't accepted. Turns out they were both accepted. The man had 'overlooked' these two...Guess it pays to press a little...

Concerning the 'cheat sheet' to answers on driver's test:
I agree that it's not a good idea for teens to rely to this without studying the DMV guide.
I see nothing wrong with using it for anyone else. I used it but I also studied the DMV guide and I felt using the two together, actually helped me.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM

24 posts, read 101,080 times
I went monday. Got turned away because our insurance did not have my name on it. Just had wife. That they would only take a bill with my name on it. So I went home had the insurance fax us a new card with my name on it and found the list. Reported back at 7:30 to stand in line with about 30 other people. Lucky I almost failed the vision test but had my reading glasses on. Passed that. On to the test. Here i thought you could skip a question and it would come back nope. Ha I do not care I passed with 80% and now on to battle the dragon at dmv the liease. We already had the van pre inspected it passed we just got to have the form from them to sign off on it.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 PM

47 posts, read 152,414 times
We passed the test also on Monday. I felt it was pretty easy but me and my wife quizzed each other over the handbook and "guide". Couldn't get license though as the computer system was down. Got a real treat when I went to register my Ford 150 (2003) as it cost $218.00 and the other car cost 187.50. Then 60 dollars for the 2 yearly inspections. Needless to say I will be eating beanie and weenies for about 60 days.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM

89 posts, read 202,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
If you fail the test do they take your out of state license away or do you get to keep it until you pass?
Thanks.
The test was easy. I didnt even study. You shouldnt really have to study for it if you drive.. its just all common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: