Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 04:19 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,527 times

Advertisements

If you fail the test do they take your out of state license away or do you get to keep it until you pass?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 12:18 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,176 times
They only take your out of state license when they issue you with a NC license.

We recently moved here from MA, I got my NC license about 3 wks ago. Took me less than 5 minutes to score 100% and I only browsed through the drivers handbook

Old 12-24-2007, 04:39 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Thumbs up Don't sweat it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
If you fail the test do they take your out of state license away or do you get to keep it until you pass?
Thanks.
Don't sweat the written test. It's as easy as they come. We came down from New England where the test is much harder so we both got 100%. Peruse the manual and look at the signs on the wall while you are waiting to take your test.. They cannot revoke a license they did not issue, but when you pass the test they will take your previous out of state license.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Last edited by mm34b; 12-24-2007 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-25-2007, 04:48 PM
vvk

7 posts, read 48,653 times
I actually thought the written test was a bit tricky, but maybe that's just me :-) I found this website helpful:
Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-25-2007, 07:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvk View Post
I actually thought the written test was a bit tricky, but maybe that's just me :-) I found this website helpful:

This may be a good cheat sheet or study guide but I dont think we want to encourage newcomers to use this only. They may have a teenager getting their license for the first time and need to know importand driving lessons learn in the handbook.
The handbook online or paperback version reminds us or teach us how to handle different situations.

For instance what to do when it does snow, fog, passing farm equipment, how to park on a hill.
It would be good for new resident from another state to know how things are dealt here like merging on a on ramp and dealing with the way we drive here.
If everyone understands and drives like the handbook suggest then we would have less road rage.
Online version of the handbook NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:
I agree with SunnyKayak that people should not rely exclusively on this cheat sheet, but I am amazed at how popular this document is! Almost everyone that I talk to who has relocated into this state (and has to test), has used this document. I stumbled across it three years ago and I am very glad I did. It proved to be a great additional resource over the drivers manual.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:08 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
Me too! But I was not prepared to answer questions about how many months you have to wait before appealing to the judge for DUIs either. And the question about passing a tractor stumped me.

I somehow was given WRONG info about the test in the first place. I was told (can't remember who told me now) I didn't even have to take a test, so I hadn't studied or even looked at the book.

There was a question about riding in the back of a pick up truck, helmet laws, and stuff that was very state specific and I didn't really know.

Dawn

Quote:

Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
If you're an experienced driver with a valid driver's license from another state, and you take the test, even having studied the book, it's still tricky. Now for a new driver, there's going to be more than just the written test in order to get a license.

Personally I don't think the test truly measures anything but your ability to memorize facts, and not what to do in the 1-2 seconds needed to make a split decision, or even basic driving laws. However it is a test, and it must be passed. I had no idea that cheat sheet was out for 3 years, I'm surprised that the test hasn't been revised to include a greater pool of questions such that talking with someone who took the test wouldn't clue you in to 70% of the questions (and answers). But then again, it is a government agency and things don't necessarily move that fast.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
The test asks about the laws of NC, as you are expected to know and obey the laws of NC, as part of your privileged of driving. Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse in NC.

I'll admit the waiting period after a DUI is a bit of a stretch, as I'm sure that is explained by the judge when your license is revoked. The helmet law would only apply to motorcycles, and you have to get a "motorcycle endorsement" on your license for that, and that is where that question belongs.

The rest are valid, what would your do if you come upon a tractor on the road in NC. Perhaps you should know before hand.

The good news is if you have a clean driving record when you renew your NC license, you only have to take the eye test, where they also test your knowledge of road signs.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:06 AM

47 posts, read 210,433 times
Is the "quick guide" still valid as a good reference for the NC test? Anybody take the test within the last month or so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: