U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,417,076 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those people who are really disappointed in the unchecked growth in the area. I've lived in Charlotte all of my life and I still have trouble convincing myself that I saw what I saw when I saw it.

The rapid growth has brought money, surely. But it has also brought people who now own a boat but have no clue how to safely operate it. Take a look at Lake Norman. Why do you think there are so many lake cops out there now? I remember when you could take a sailboat out there on a Saturday and not get beat to death. Now, you'll get beat to death by the wake or just plain run over by smoe idiot who though it would be cool to drink an 18-pack and see how fast his boat will go.

South Charlotte has grown to the point where I don't even recognize even with the fact that I lived out there and for about 8 years.

I-485 is a parking lot from 4:30 until about 6 or 7pm. Who didn't see that one coming.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to pull up the welcome mat. In 10 years the lakes around here will be so crowded it will be like putting 12 guys in a bathtub. The roads are going to suck more than they already do (unless you live in Ballantyne). And the schools are going to be in a state of chaos. Remember, we're running out of places to put trailers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 AM

897 posts, read 2,570,159 times
With the current housing situation the way it is, maybe things will slow down the flow of newcomers for the next few years.

Funny thing is, I just (this past Fall) moved to Columbus, Ohio. I have met very few people that want to move out of that area, but most of these people are college educated, white collar, with middle to upper incomes.

I never would have left the South - but it as a great job promotion with relocation expenses paid to move.

Hopefully one day I can move back and retire in my homestate of NC. I just hope that the area does not change to the point I have do desire to!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:13 PM

20,792 posts, read 35,857,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Maryland are VERY VERY much smaller than NC landwise so its obvious that those states would have a much higher population density. It's just something to consider. Rhode Island's stats did surprise me though.
Also, NC developments tend to have lower density because of the rapid population growth associated with suburban sprawl. Cities like NYC and Boston also have much higher population densities compared with a Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 AM

25 posts, read 100,274 times
"we will slide to the fate of Michigan as the jobs leave to the 'new paradise state' of lower taxes and as the herd goes off for more greener pastures."

does anyone else find that statement alittle..well sad. i mean come here for cheaper cost of living, bet climate, less hassel and get it built up to where is the same as the place you left so you take off to somewhere else. just seems wrong to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina