Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:51 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times

Advertisements

9 million and growing

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353996540&path=%21localnew s&s=1037645509099 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 08:48 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times
Thumbs up Great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
9 million and growing

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353996540&path=%21localnew s&s=1037645509099 (broken link)
Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! If it keeps up we will become a major state player in all areas of national concern.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! If it keeps up we will become a major state player in all areas of national concern.
Not if we run out of water, roads, and schools first.

It's time to pull up the welcome mat; this unchecked growth is destroying the very "quality of life" that is bringing so many folks here. No offense to any out-of-staters reading this, but we're experiencing horrible road/traffic problems, schools are bursting at the seams, and they are counting down the amount of water we have left in DAYS. Every one of these problems is due to TOO MANY PEOPLE HERE.

Sorry to be a naysayer, but let's stabalize the resources for the folks who are already here before rolling out the red carpet to even more people.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Thumbs up You have a valid point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Not if we run out of water, roads, and schools first.

It's time to pull up the welcome mat; this unchecked growth is destroying the very "quality of life" that is bringing so many folks here. No offense to any out-of-staters reading this, but we're experiencing horrible road/traffic problems, schools are bursting at the seams, and they are counting down the amount of water we have left in DAYS. Every one of these problems is due to TOO MANY PEOPLE HERE.

Sorry to be a naysayer, but let's stabalize the resources for the folks who are already here before rolling out the red carpet to even more people.
You have a good point, one that doesn't affect me near as much as most since we live out in farm country. Stabilization is a good thing and should be accomplished but our politicians are distracted by other things more important to them...not to us!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Default The Rest of the Top Ten

1. Nevada
2. Arizona
3. Utah
4. Idaho
5. Georgia
6. North Carolina
7. Texas
8. Colorado
9. Wyoming
10. South Carolina

Last edited by mm34b; 12-27-2007 at 02:49 PM..

Old 12-27-2007, 09:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
And exactly how does that help anyone when we will be living in an over crowded, over taxed, water rationing, traffic nightmare state. If that is your "quality" marker of where you want to live, perhaps you need to look at CA or NY.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:57 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And exactly how does that help anyone when we will be living in an over crowded, over taxed, water rationing, traffic nightmare state. If that is your "quality" marker of where you want to live, perhaps you need to look at CA or NY.
Poor Mikey- make one comment and then become the proverbial messenger...

First, I agree, out of control "anything" growth is bad. Population, body, germs, etc.

Secondly, how do you reasonably and practically control it, slow it or as some suggest, stop it. Describe the "answer" without limiting it to venting, i.e., "let's just roll up the welcome mat" isn't an answer.

You can challenge building permits, require that lots be at least .5 acres so that don't squeeze 10 house on 1 acre. This requires petitioning the building board, re-election, etc.

I'm not knocking the venting per se, but if it's simply venting then it's really all for nothing. You stop a weed by dealing with the root system, not whacking at the leaves.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 AM

Thumbs up Thanks...shows real NC manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Poor Mikey- make one comment and then become the proverbial messenger...

First, I agree, out of control "anything" growth is bad. Population, body, germs, etc.

Secondly, how do you reasonably and practically control it, slow it or as some suggest, stop it. Describe the "answer" without limiting it to venting, i.e., "let's just roll up the welcome mat" isn't an answer.

You can challenge building permits, require that lots be at least .5 acres so that don't squeeze 10 house on 1 acre. This requires petitioning the building board, re-election, etc.

I'm not knocking the venting per se, but if it's simply venting then it's really all for nothing. You stop a weed by dealing with the root system, not whacking at the leaves.
Yup, but some just need a reason to vent ...any reason..and when they vent at me I take it with a grain of salt. Thanks for coming to my rescue !

I am neither a supporter of out of control growth nor growth just for the sake of growth, just a supporter of NC becoming a major player in the overall national stadium.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:24 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
I am sure we will hear the same old lines "ask the states that aren't growing if they wouldn't love to be in our place right now".

Well this is the line used by the ones who benefit from out of control growth, real estate agencies and banks to name a few.

As NC continues in its record drought, and as we have added more than 1 million residents since 2000, we have continued to lose our identity as a state. Overcrowded schools, roads, beaches, etc, we should assume that this is all beneficial.

NC should prepare itself to become the new Florida and California. Once this state has been through its 'glory days' of growth and has been built out and developers and investors have used up all of NC's resources and natural beauty, we will slide to the fate of Michigan as the jobs leave to the 'new paradise state' of lower taxes and as the herd goes off for more greener pastures.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 AM

620 posts, read 2,118,685 times
We are growing at a fast rate, but it is going to take a lot for us to catch up to CA (37 million), NY (19 million), or FL (18 million) in terms of population. Also, we will nevet be as dense as those places. NC is a pretty large state, and there are many parts that aren't even growing at all. Certain parts of NC are actually losing population while others are growing. I highly doubt that all of NC will become built out, bc all of NY, CA, FL, and TX are not built out. There is still a lot of countryside in all of those states. The drought has nothing to do with the fact that we don't have enough water for the population - it hasn't rained enough! Atleast we are starting to get more rain now. Nobody can control the weather. I think some of you need to stop predicting doomsday and enjoy the benefits of all this growth. Since you have the right to tell people not to move here, and if your so fed up with the growth, why live in a high growth area of the state? I hear Goldsboro, NC is a great place to live...

Last edited by nyxmike; 12-28-2007 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina