Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 AM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times

Advertisements

Actually, it could cost up to $123 billion, or who knows how much? It's a 25-year plan that includes making new highways to Morehead City to Hampton Roads and so on in an effort to make transportation more efficient and stimulate jobs as a result. It probably will get the former done easier than the latter - how many hurting towns and counties already exist on Interstates 95, 40, 85 and so on? While it sounds attractive (and financially unfeasible), this plan will not correct what the ailing counties and cities in North Carolina really need - better education to prepare children for future jobs; a bigger variety of cultural options than most have at present; and a general attitude of letting go of the past and working toward the future. Just my opinion, of course.

McCrory unveils big-picture North Carolina transportation plan | abc11.com

For information on the overall plan itself, visit:

NCDOT: 25 Year Vision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
For the love of god please expand i77 to 5 lanes each way in Charlotte Lol. How the state looks over this I have no idea

Old 09-18-2014, 07:09 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
.... - better education to prepare children for future jobs; a bigger variety of cultural options than most have at present; and a general attitude of letting go of the past and working toward the future. Just my opinion, of course.....
Government is well suited to build roads. They have been doing so since Roman times. NC is doing quite well now in part because of the transit corridors, including the investments in the NC Railroad.

On the other hand, if as you suggest, they are incapable of building roads, then they certainly can't do the more nebulous things that you suggest such as changing people's attitudes and getting them to accept responsibility for their education & future. That is up to the people to do and ironically seem less able to do, the more that government intrudes and tries to do it for them.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 AM

353 posts, read 604,174 times

I like that Eastern North Carolina is represented by a big picture of a tobacco field. Tobacco, Crop For the Future!! (Are we going to bring back the government subsidies for tobacco? If so, can I sign on now? I missed out on that free money last go 'round)

We're going to build an interstate to Hampton Roads, VA. I'm not sure if we're annexing Virginia or if we just thought we should extend our hand in friendship and build 30 or 40 miles of interstate for them.

And to get everything started, we need to borrow somewhere around a billion to a billion and a half dollars. Debt is good, right??

Old 09-18-2014, 02:37 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post

I like that Eastern North Carolina is represented by a big picture of a tobacco field. Tobacco, Crop For the Future!! (Are we going to bring back the government subsidies for tobacco? If so, can I sign on now? I missed out on that free money last go 'round)

We're going to build an interstate to Hampton Roads, VA. I'm not sure if we're annexing Virginia or if we just thought we should extend our hand in friendship and build 30 or 40 miles of interstate for them.

And to get everything started, we need to borrow somewhere around a billion to a billion and a half dollars. Debt is good, right??
Oh goody! An interstate to Hampton Roads! I 85 is a total of 4 lanes through my town & if there's an accident they detour the I 85 traffic through downtown. It's so important to build an interstate to Hampton Roads, though.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:59 PM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Southbound, what town do you live in? Construction on the next leg of I-85 should be starting soon. This will widen I-85 from Exit 55 to Exit 63 in Cabarrus and Rowan. This only leaves the small gap in-between Exits 63 to 68, but that has also been funded for construction.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:20 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Oh goody! An interstate to Hampton Roads! I 85 is a total of 4 lanes through my town & if there's an accident they detour the I 85 traffic through downtown. It's so important to build an interstate to Hampton Roads, though.
You mean a direct Interstate from the Triangle to the 2nd largest (15 largest in the US) and 5th (28th in the US) largest seaport on the East Coast is something bad? Not to mention linking us to the largest city in Virginia.

Think a little outside of the box.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Southbound, what town do you live in? Construction on the next leg of I-85 should be starting soon. This will widen I-85 from Exit 55 to Exit 63 in Cabarrus and Rowan. This only leaves the small gap in-between Exits 63 to 68, but that has also been funded for construction.
Kings Mountain. I 85 drops to 3 lanes in each direction through Gaston County then drops to 2 lanes to the state line at exit 10. Gaston has been trying to get I 85 widened for years. The state would prefer a dumb toll road to meander through southern Gaston instead. It would serve no purpose & no one in their right mind will take it.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
You mean a direct Interstate from the Triangle to the 2nd largest (15 largest in the US) and 5th (28th in the US) largest seaport on the East Coast is something bad? Not to mention linking us to the largest city in Virginia.

Think a little outside of the box.
Do you consider that to be more important than the route to Upstate SC & Atlanta? When there's an accident they funnel the traffic through the downtown of my town. Would you like a parade of trucks through your town, sometimes for hours?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:44 PM

129 posts, read 186,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you consider that to be more important than the route to Upstate SC & Atlanta? When there's an accident they funnel the traffic through the downtown of my town. Would you like a parade of trucks through your town, sometimes for hours?
Nearly all interstates in rural areas are two lanes each way, it's the standard; maybe they should rework the detour route, but widening a generally non-congested rural interstate just because it sometimes closes when there are accidents would be ludicrous. So, yeah I do consider a new interstate between two of the fastest-growing metros on the east coast more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina