U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-27-2007, 03:03 PM

1,946 posts, read 3,843,141 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone out there! Hubby and I are thinking of relocating to SC or NC. I'd love to hear how some of you compare NC schools to NJ Schools. My daughter is a Freshman in HS - straight A's - she got a 99 in Algebra (who does that!) LOL and my son is in Kindergarten. I don't know if there is a drastic difference - but I'd love to here from others who have made this move on anything I may want to know. I know there is corporal punishment still in effect down there so I'd like any feedback on that too.

Thanks so much!
Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 03:27 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,373,800 times
Like New Jersey, public school quality in North Carolina runs from poor to excellent. Which area of NC are you interested in?

Old 12-27-2007, 03:56 PM

I'm not exactly sure - where ever there are good schools and a lot of car dealerships....hubby works in Parts for GM dealership. What I am interested in though is the comparison between the 2. Are they close in curriculum? Is NJ doing more math? etc...that type of stuff.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:00 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,789,861 times
NC K-12 Curriculim

You will find more car dealerships in the larger metro areas. There are many NJ transplants on this board and I'm sure they will be able to chime in with specific information.

It's hard to do a state to state general comparison. As you know, NC is a big state - nearly 6.5 times bigger (land area) than NJ. mm34b said it well, there are good and bad schools here.

I know you are doing some preliminary research but do you have any idea about how much you can spend? What size city do you prefer? What type of house do you want? These questions can help us point you in the right direction and help you get the details on the local school district(s).

Good Luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 AM

I'm not exactly sure what we'll be able to spend considering I don't know what we'll be making. Hubby is Asst. Parts Manager at a Chevy Dealership. I am an Exec. Asst.

What I'd like to do is find out where the good schools are, and do research from there. Find out where we can work, how much we can make, and what the neighborhoods etc are like. I would think we'd be looking around the 200K mark. Bottom line is: If we make a move out of NJ it is going to be to make life a little easier financially but I am not willing to sacrifice the schools. Does that make sense? We don't want to make a move if its not going to be the right thing to do for our family. Its just getting to expensive here in NJ so we're looking around and checking things out.

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina