U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 05:58 PM

6 posts, read 29,992 times

Advertisements

Hi, my boyfriend will be moving from Colombia to NC in 2 years and plans on applying to grad schools soon after. I am helping him look for a program where he can learn English (he speaks hardly any) and prepare for the GRE and TOEFL exams. I am looking for a program that is a year long (not 3 months or a summer). I am open to programs in any main city (Durham, Raleigh, Charlotte).

Thanks for the help!

Anna

Moderator cut: link not allowed

Last edited by autumngal; 12-27-2007 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: no advertising allowed per TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 06:26 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,486 times
Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte has an Adult ESL program

Quote:
English as a Second Language (ESL) is an adult English language program for immigrants who have limited English proficiency. The Adult ESL Program provides instruction for adult English language learners to develop their English language literacy, life and work skills in order to achieve greater self-sufficiency and participation in American community life.

and an Academic ESL program

Quote:
The Academic English as a Foreign Language curriculum prepares nonnative speakers of English to function successfully in institutions of higher education in the United States. Course work provides knowledge and practice of academic reading, grammar, listening/speaking and composition. Among other skills, students learn to make presentations to groups, write a research paper, and take notes from classroom lectures. Attention is also paid to the student’s cultural awareness, particularly that of the academic environment.
I don't know how long it takes to complete the classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina