Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 AM

118 posts, read 184,413 times

Advertisements

Lets Clear Things Up:

New England consists of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. New England has a large number of small towns and 3 of the states tops the top 5 list of most forested states. New York and New Jersey is not in New England. With that being said, MOST of New York is Country and Farm Land and has the most farms per capita in the NATION. All of New England is not like Boston or New York City. You can quickly get out of those areas and find yourself lost in no man's land. New England is not MSNBC...NOT all of the people are bad drivers and nasty liberals. They drive slower in Vermont than in North Carolina. New Hampshire has very lax gunlaws and vote republican more than Maryland.

I am tired of hearing all the hatred toward Northeast Yankees...especially from people who probably have no clue what they are talking about and/or never visited the place.

A large number of Natives have seriously gotten themselves into a world of negativity. Everything is to blame on the Yankee. For example, urban sprawl, bad drivers, crime, bad schools, etc. Bottom line, here is an example of a backward person from NC who really has no clue...and if he and others especially in the capital would get their heads out of their orfices, NC could be some much better.

Referencing the first paragraph: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/us...tity.html?_r=1

How many of you have been called a Yankees or been treated poorly by a native? Do you ever remember being rude to a Southerner when home just because you did not agree with their religion or political party?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:17 AM

613 posts, read 743,680 times
Most stereotypes have an element of truth. Some, not all, of the 'Yankees' I know fit the bill. Loud and some what obnoxious. I can pick them out of a crowd.
As for people from New England they tend to be condescending. They'll tell you all about how American history began with the Pilgrims and talk about the first Thanksgiving. Neither being true. When you inform them that the first permanent English settlement was years before the Pilgrims in Jamestown VA they have a strange look on their faces. And that the first Thanksgiving was certainly in Jamestown and not by the 'Pilgrim Fathers' they dismiss it as an error on your part.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,152,764 times
Don't get swept up in the rhetoric.

I call my northern friends "damn Yankees" all the time. I'm just ribbing them. Same as when they call me Cletus.

I think you should check again where the "hate" comes from. How many threads are started every week here blasting us dumb rednecks for one shortcoming or another? Who do you think starts those topics, lol. Even you, telling us how we "could be so much better"...

Come to our city. Contribute to our community. Raise your children with ours, please. We welcome you. Just grow some skin while you're at it and maybe lay off on the "settin' us straight" tripe.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:25 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,615,956 times
I grew up in NY state and spent my first 18 years there. So I guess I'm a Yankee, even though I lived my next 22 years out west (CA, NV, UT, and OR). I have never had any issues in person, though I don't have the accent or (stereotypical) attitude of a Yankee. I did come across negative comments, mostly when we lived in Greenville, NC. Living in the Triad, I don't sense the animosity that I did sense in eastern NC.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:31 AM

118 posts, read 184,413 times
Default Oh Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Most stereotypes have an element of truth. Some, not all, of the 'Yankees' I know fit the bill. Loud and some what obnoxious. I can pick them out of a crowd.
As for people from New England they tend to be condescending. They'll tell you all about how American history began with the Pilgrims and talk about the first Thanksgiving. Neither being true. When you inform them that the first permanent English settlement was years before the Pilgrims in Jamestown VA they have a strange look on their faces. And that the first Thanksgiving was certainly in Jamestown and not by the 'Pilgrim Fathers' they dismiss it as an error on your part.
I was never taught the first settlement was the pilgrims. We were taught it was the Roanoke Colony. How does being louder make someone a bad person.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,408,544 times
Hmm. Seems to me there are more serious things to worry about.

The War Between the States ended almost 150 years ago. The Yankee vs Rebel thing ended then. We are all Americans now.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,538,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalSituation77 View Post
I was never taught the first settlement was the pilgrims. We were taught it was the Roanoke Colony. How does being louder make someone a bad person.

Sounds like you'd be happier somewhere else.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:30 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,226,288 times
Quote:
Roanoke Colony was an ATTEMPTED first permanent settlement. But the whole.....Lost Colony thing occurred.

Jamestown was the first permanent settlement.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,226,288 times
Quote:
Lets Clear Things Up:

New England consists of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. New England has a large number of small towns and 3 of the states tops the top 5 list of most forested states. New York and New Jersey is not in New England. With that being said, MOST of New York is Country and Farm Land and has the most farms per capita in the NATION. All of New England is not like Boston or New York City. You can quickly get out of those areas and find yourself lost in no man's land. New England is not MSNBC...NOT all of the people are bad drivers and nasty liberals. They drive slower in Vermont than in North Carolina. New Hampshire has very lax gunlaws and vote republican more than Maryland.

I am tired of hearing all the hatred toward Northeast Yankees...especially from people who probably have no clue what they are talking about and/or never visited the place.

A large number of Natives have seriously gotten themselves into a world of negativity. Everything is to blame on the Yankee. For example, urban sprawl, bad drivers, crime, bad schools, etc. Bottom line, here is an example of a backward person from NC who really has no clue...and if he and others especially in the capital would get their heads out of their orfices, NC could be some much better.

Referencing the first paragraph: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/us...tity.html?_r=1

How many of you have been called a Yankees or been treated poorly by a native? Do you ever remember being rude to a Southerner when home just because you did not agree with their religion or political party?
How many times was there venom behind our words? I am sure not often. But it DOES get extremely annoying to hear how much GREATER the culture was there, or the pizza, or how we can't drive in the snow (NEWS FLASH, no one can drive on ICE, w/o spikes. Plus we have less equipment to deal with it.)

It always sounds like "Those" people are concluding their home was/is better than NC, and we take offense to it. If it was so good, why didn't ya stay?

Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 AM

613 posts, read 743,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It always sounds like "Those" people are concluding their home was/is better than NC, and we take offense to it. If it was so good, why didn't ya stay?
You nailed it. Mr Bojangles, making me hungry for chicken, Yeah Yankee go home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina