Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:07 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,501,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
Thom Tillis is the man. I've found faulty information in plenty of Kay Hagan advertisments-
1. A ad says "I'm a school teacher in Wake County, and I have no text books"
How is the state capital NOT going to have the best education district?
2. A ad says "I'm a college student in Charlotte and now thanks to Tillis i have to pay to eat"
When did colleges NOT have to pay to eat?
And for the "Corporate tax cuts"
I assume its a plan for this-
1. When Corporate get tax cuts, they move to North Carolina, provide income, and straighten out the economy. Some states like Texas do not even have corporate tax.
You don't pay much attention to details do you. Tillis & Berger put sales tax on college meal plans. Now it costs the girl more to eat.

It's not a secret that there have been textbook issues around the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 02:34 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,231,941 times
Quote:
Current poll-
Hagan=46%
Tillis=45%
Haugh=9%

Keep voting for Tillis!!!!!
Seriously......how high are you? This isn't some random internet poll.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:37 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,231,941 times
Quote:
Thom Tillis is the man. I've found faulty information in plenty of Kay Hagan advertisments-
1. A ad says "I'm a school teacher in Wake County, and I have no text books"
How is the state capital NOT going to have the best education district?
2. A ad says "I'm a college student in Charlotte and now thanks to Tillis i have to pay to eat"
When did colleges NOT have to pay to eat?
And for the "Corporate tax cuts"
I assume its a plan for this-
1. When Corporate get tax cuts, they move to North Carolina, provide income, and straighten out the economy. Some states like Texas do not even have corporate tax.
You can't just "think" (and I am stretching the definition for you) and say it is "faulty information".

And you're just gonna assume what his plans are? Wait...WTF does state taxes have to do with a US Senator? Ya know what, nevermind. I don't even want to hear your drivel.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:26 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,115,879 times
the fact is that all parties share the responsibility for where the spending level on education is right now.

spending on textbooks is a canard, since we're going to electronic textbooks in a few years anyway.

Perdue & the Dems at the time took our TARP spending, and put (almost) all of it towards the salaries of TA's. That was unsustainable.

Neither has economic growth statewide created enough to overcome the recessionary losses. Tax cuts haven't generated all the lower revenues.

The Republicans in charge now should not have done away with the stipend for master's degrees. I've not seen a sufficiently non-partisan discussion of the raises and tenures for anyone to form a learned opinion. I do believe that one thing teachers, and especially those who want to talk about teacher pay, need to understand & acknowledge is the depth of the recession to NC. There are a large % of our population whose incomes today are lower than they were in 2008. To have a nearly guaranteed job is not a right, it is a privilege. Should we look to pay teachers more, in a bi-partisan fashion? Of course.

As much discussion as goes on here, one would hope it'd be less shouting at and over each other, since presumably all are adults.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:15 PM

401 posts, read 653,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
You can't just "think" (and I am stretching the definition for you) and say it is "faulty information".

And you're just gonna assume what his plans are? Wait...WTF does state taxes have to do with a US Senator? Ya know what, nevermind. I don't even want to hear your drivel.
It's my opinion, which i'm entitled to vote for Thom Tillis.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:11 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,683,226 times
Textbook goes back way into the Dem's stranglehold on Raleigh, it is not anything new. I have not used one in five years and neither need nor want one. The textbook issue is a red herring.

I wish that was the only mitigating factor in the Tillis world view. Unfortunately, it is not.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:04 PM

203 posts, read 411,238 times
Question Some have trouble differentiating "fact" from fantasy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The very simple answer to your question is the study covered the period of time when the Democrats ran the state government, not Tillis.

That single fact invalidates everything else you said. Apparently you only read the parts that you wanted to see.
WaldoKitty, your irrational comments [quoted verbatim above] make you sound like you have been overdosing on catnip ... or something stronger.

I sincerely hope that it hasn't caused you any further long-term brain damage.

FYI, this thread is about how NC's rankings for teachers (and NC's educational environment generally) has plummeted to the very worst in the United States in one short year -- from 2013 to 2014.

And the study cited did NOT include "the period of time when the Democrats ran the state government" as you asserted. The study ONLY covered one year when the 'Publicans were in control.

And that "single fact" does indeed clearly validate every word I wrote in posting #93 on this thread.

But then you babble about the "... very simple answer to [my] question" ...

I didn't raise any question, Waldo, except perhaps rhetorically to amplify my comments.

However, your misguided and "very simple" comments, quoted above, have raised several serious questions about your ability to distinguish between "fact" and fantasy, OR your ability to read and comprehend the complexities of my previous posting (although I thought it was quite clear).

Apparently you "only read the parts" with the one- or two-syllable words.

Waldo, you might want to inquire into whether NC's educational system, pathetic though it might be at the moment under Republican rule, could get you into some sort of remedial reading program.

And I wish you the best of luck in your search for reality,
Dan

Old 10-13-2014, 12:24 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You don't pay much attention to details do you. Tillis & Berger put sales tax on college meal plans. Now it costs the girl more to eat.

It's not a secret that there have been textbook issues around the state.
This one made me laugh... lol

I personally like modeling the state after TX - brilliant!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:29 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,984,152 times
All rational thoughts thrown to the wind... instead of complaining that we have to choose from 2 terrible candidates, let's just bicker about party lines and pick apart inane issues. The special interests mission is accomplished because most of this just seems like the way your typical sports fan roots for their favorite team.

Only confirmed by the "Go <insert name>!" like we're at a HS football game. So silly.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:20 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,441,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_DC View Post
WaldoKitty, your irrational comments [quoted verbatim above] make you sound like you have been overdosing on catnip ... or something stronger..
Dan
I stopped reading here. If you wish to have a serious discussion, then you don't start it by accusing someone of taking drugs. It simply means that you are not able to make an logical argument of whatever point you are trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina