Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
As far as law-abiding, the background check makes me feel pretty comfortable about most CCW (technically, CCH in NC) holders. I don't have statistics, but I have a feeling that this group has a lower rate of violating laws than the general public. The ones I've met take the responsibility very seriously. I had never fired a gun until last year, shortly before my 48th birthday. Now I go to the range about once a month to practice.
I know several who have extensive mental health problem backgrounds that include anger issues and substance abuse.

Still feel confident?

My point wasn't that the majority are not going to follow the law... or at least that they aren't going to intend to... you just never know, is my point.

I could take my experience and assume that most CCW holders are alcoholic drug abusers with anger problems, but that would be overgeneralizing. Just like what people do when they assume that all CCW permit holders are squeaky clean and above reproach.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:42 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I know several who have extensive mental health problem backgrounds that include anger issues and substance abuse.

Still feel confident?

My point wasn't that the majority are not going to follow the law... or at least that they aren't going to intend to... you just never know, is my point.

I could take my experience and assume that most CCW holders are alcoholic drug abusers with anger problems, but that would be overgeneralizing. Just like what people do when they assume that all CCW permit holders are squeaky clean and above reproach.
I never said all are squeaky clean - I said I'd take the average CCH holder over the average citizen as far as being law-abiding.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I never said all are squeaky clean - I said I'd take the average CCH holder over the average citizen as far as being law-abiding.
Not me. I'll just take the people I know to be of sound mind.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:44 PM

353 posts, read 604,174 times
Quote:

Still feel confident?

I know 6 people who are CCW holders and I consider 5 of them to be bat**** crazy. The 6th one is a little rich guy with a Napoleon complex.
I won't overgeneralize about all CCW holders, either, but I will say that so far the data I've collected is none too promising.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Not me. I'll just take the people I know to be of sound mind.
They at the fair. How many are of sound mind?

j/k...teasing the redneck-types.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:55 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
It doesn't matter if people think someone is crazy or not. The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution gives people the right to bear arms. Furthermore the Supreme Court in 2008 & 2010 finally decided this means that this amendment vests individuals with this right. States that go too far with restrictions will get slapped down in court.

If people don't want others to have guns, then start the process to have the 2nd amendment killed. it's as simple as that.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
They at the fair. How many are of sound mind?

j/k...teasing the redneck-types.
LOL.

You've just explained why I no longer attend the fair. I think my last trip out here was circa 2002.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It doesn't matter if people think someone is crazy or not. The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution gives people the right to bear arms. Furthermore the Supreme Court in 2008 & 2010 finally decided this means that this amendment vests individuals with this right. States that go too far with restrictions will get slapped down in court.

If people don't want others to have guns, then start the process to have the 2nd amendment killed. it's as simple as that.
People don't have the right to have guns in my house without my permission.

I don't want anyone not to be able to enjoy their 2nd amendment rights, but they don't have to spill over in to EVERY. SINGLE. PUBLIC. GATHERING. IN. THE. NATION.

It is the right to bear arms... not the right to bear them all the time, everywhere.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
People don't have the right to have guns in my house without my permission.

I don't want anyone not to be able to enjoy their 2nd amendment rights, but they don't have to spill over in to EVERY. SINGLE. PUBLIC. GATHERING. IN. THE. NATION.

It is the right to bear arms... not the right to bear them all the time, everywhere.
And I could require you to have a gun if you entered my house, if I wanted to.

The NC law is fairly specific about where and when one may carry. It doesn't allow for "everywhere." It used to prohibit places where admission is charged, but that is now allowed. However, on "state property," it must be kept in a locked vehicle, not on one's person. I think the reason for the lawsuit is whether or not the Fair is state property - but I would think it would be. Isn't it part of NCSU?

edit...perhaps it's not on NCSU property. I don't know who owns the land; seems like that would be the deciding factor.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
And I could require you to have a gun if you entered my house, if I wanted to.

The NC law is fairly specific about where and when one may carry. It doesn't allow for "everywhere." It used to prohibit places where admission is charged, but that is now allowed. However, on "state property," it must be kept in a locked vehicle, not on one's person. I think the reason for the lawsuit is whether or not the Fair is state property - but I would think it would be. Isn't it part of NCSU?

edit...perhaps it's not on NCSU property. I don't know who owns the land; seems like that would be the deciding factor.
The fact that this is a hazy area means it could go either way and nobody's rights would be infringed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina