Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:43 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,596,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
People don't have the right to have guns in my house without my permission....It is the right to bear arms... not the right to bear them all the time, everywhere.
I'm not sure what this has to do with what I posted. The US Constitution doesn't compel you to accept guns in your home.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,224,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm not sure what this has to do with what I posted. The US Constitution doesn't compel you to accept guns in your home.
Nor does it compel the owners of the fairgrounds property and the organizers of the NC State Fair to allow guns at the fair.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:25 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,596,074 times
Quote:
Nor does it compel the owners of the fairgrounds property and the organizers of the NC State Fair to allow guns at the fair.
You are correct. But the point I was responding to was crazy people vs guns.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:33 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,450 times
Quote:
Good grief.

The police have had more training than your average gun owner.
Not really. They qualify once a year if that, in some jurisdictions every two years. Since the state pays for their ammo and budgets are being cut left and right range time doesn't happen as often as it use to.

Quote:
Why is it that so many gun owners seem to just blindly assume that all others who have a CCW are honest, decent, law-abiding, excellent marksmen/women, etc?

It's ridiculous to assume it. You might just as well assume that a fellow CCW holder may be as likely to shoot you as a criminal, given the right situation, because all of them have guns.

Just a thought.
The assumption is valid since the statistics bear that out. For NC around .3% of permit holders had their permits revoked.

Quote:
I know several who have extensive mental health problem backgrounds that include anger issues and substance abuse.
And this diagnosis is from a licensed psychologist or other medical professional who has notified a magistrate or judge of these issues so their permit can be revoked?

Anyway, here is a law professor's analysis:

Guns at the State Fair | North Carolina Criminal Law

Old 10-07-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Not really. They qualify once a year if that, in some jurisdictions every two years. Since the state pays for their ammo and budgets are being cut left and right range time doesn't happen as often as it use to.

The assumption is valid since the statistics bear that out. For NC around .3% of permit holders had their permits revoked.

And this diagnosis is from a licensed psychologist or other medical professional who has notified a magistrate or judge of these issues so their permit can be revoked?

Anyway, here is a law professor's analysis:

Guns at the State Fair | North Carolina Criminal Law
Yes. These diagnoses were from licensed mental health professionals. Or so the diplomas on their walls and/or their employment in rehab clinics would imply.

I'd wager that a good many officers spend a bit of their own money to go shooting now and again. Actually, since I know some, I'll just tell you they do.

But, if it makes you feel better to think all CCW permit holders are better in a crisis and more likely to be mentally sound than your local LEOs have at it.

Last edited by RedZin; 10-07-2014 at 06:14 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,533,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
NC Agricultural Commissioner Steve Troxler (a Republican, FYI) insists that the no-guns policy remains the same this year as in the past, while another group claims changes to state law regarding concealed handguns made by the General Assembly last year gives them the right to do otherwise and are threatening. What do you think?

RALEIGH: Troxler says he will enforce gun ban at NC State Fair, despite threat of legal action | Wake County | NewsObserver.com

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 10-07-2014, 09:06 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,153,889 times
Those balloons and pop-up ducks won't stand a chance against real guns.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM

875 posts, read 1,161,450 times
Quote:
Yes. These diagnoses were from licensed mental health professionals. Or so the diplomas on their walls and/or their employment in rehab clinics would imply.
Then they have a duty to report it to their local LEO or magistrate. If the doctors haven't then the issue is not dangerous enough to revoke a permit or weapons.

Quote:
But, if it makes you feel better to think all CCW permit holders are better in a crisis and more likely to be mentally sound than your local LEOs have at it.
I don't know if they are better in a crisis or not but the statistics indicate they seem to be more mentally sound and law-abiding than the general population. The police aren't saints either as we've seen recently.

The point is a CCW holder is not some boogeyman that should be feared.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:04 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,878,565 times
Speaking of boogeymen, who are we afraid of at the State Fair?

I've lived in NC now for 3 years. Never once, regardless of where my travels have taken me, have I felt unsafe. Not once. Not in a parking lot, not at a fair, I have not felt unsafe anywhere! So would i feel 'safer' at the state fair if my date was carrying a weapon? Nope. And I'd feel a lot LESS safe wondering who else was so paranoid they felt a need to carry a weapon there.

I understand that for some it is a matter of civil rights, but for others, it seems a strange sort of narcissism to assume that you will be the victim if you are not prepared.

Do we have stats on actual crime at the Fairgrounds during the event itself?

I wonder how many feel as I do?

How many people will stay home from the fair if they can NOT carry a weapon?

v.

How many people will stay home from the fair if others can carry weapons?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Then they have a duty to report it to their local LEO or magistrate. If the doctors haven't then the issue is not dangerous enough to revoke a permit or weapons.

I don't know if they are better in a crisis or not but the statistics indicate they seem to be more mentally sound and law-abiding than the general population. The police aren't saints either as we've seen recently.

The point is a CCW holder is not some boogeyman that should be feared.
I don't fear a CCW holder (well, except the ones I mentioned in this thread and you've got a hell of a nerve assuming I don't know who to actually be afraid OF who has a CCW permit and a history of mental illness because I know these individuals very well... one of them I know exceptionally well, in fact).

I am just not keen on allowing people to bring firearms to such a huge gathering of people that can be a bit chaotic at times. It seems like a recipe for an accident. Be it someone getting into an argument, someone's weapon being stolen and used to harm others, etc.

Nobody needs to pack heat to attend a carnival. They can carry pepper spray if they really feel like they might get mugged walking to their car. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina