U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 PM

473 posts, read 659,051 times

Advertisements

To answer Mikey's question, I asked our Mod SunnyKayak about expanding the title of our thread so as to entice and encompass anyone who wanted to explore the possibilities of lliving outside the confines of city or suburban life.

Realizing that those lifestyles were sought for particular reasons, just as rural and small-town lifestyles are, it seemed logical to expand when I noticed that many who post on the general NC forums are asking about things that might be sought after (and found) in this thread.

I am definitely a Newbie, and I need all the information I can garner about establishing a satisfying life in North Carolina.

Please feel free to add your two cents' worth!

Nims
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Default a question about church-going

Neither my husband nor I is a church member (though we are both spiritual) and I am concerned that this will not be acceptable to our new neighbors. It is evident that church and church activities play a very important role in the lives of the people of this area -- In one of the nearby towns (which happens to be the county seat), there are less than 815 residents, but 17 churches!

We don't want to offend anyone, and we know there will be questions about what church we belong to and plan to attend. We want to be truthful, of course, but we don't want to make anyone think that we are godless heathens. What's the best way to handle this?

Does anyone have a similar situation? Is anyone able to advise us?

thanks in advance!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
I can understand the small knit community where being asked if you go to church will be more common. For now I would just say you are new to the area and havent pick on yet. In most cases people are asking just to have conversation.
For example "What do you think of this weather? How old is your kids? Where did you get your hair done? Have you found a church or What church you attend?" It not done in offense to you just a nice jesture but I can see in tighter knit community how they might be a little more nosey or participate in that southern gossip.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Default thanks for the suggestion

I guess 'we haven't decided on one yet' would fit no matter what, and it won't offend anyone (which is our aim!)

Old 01-03-2008, 07:44 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,547,780 times
Thumbs up Don't be offended is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
I guess 'we haven't decided on one yet' would fit no matter what, and it won't offend anyone (which is our aim!)
When we first moved out here every neighbor approached us asking which church we belonged to, and advising that we would be welcome in theirs.

We have explained to each neighbor who asked that we did not belong to the denominations in the immediate neighborhood but thanked them for asking us.

Now they only inform us of community events that may or may not be held in their own churches and we have attended a few and no one tried to convert us. This America and one of our steadfast rights is freedom to worship in the manner each of chooses and we choose to worship in a manner different from our neighbors, and our neighbors fully understand and respect that.

We were quite flattered that they thought enough of us to invite us.

Gonna sign off now as i have my mind on the Iowa caucus. See y'all tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Default courtesy is the key

-- as in so much of life!

This is another good answer, Mikey_NC. The point is to keep the communication open, show others that you are willing to be involved, and work hard not to offend.

Having a couple of ready, smoothly-delivered, sincere, and courteous responses should do it!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 AM

Thumbs up Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I can understand the small knit community where being asked if you go to church will be more common. For now I would just say you are new to the area and havent pick on yet. In most cases people are asking just to have conversation.
For example "What do you think of this weather? How old is your kids? Where did you get your hair done? Have you found a church or What church you attend?" It not done in offense to you just a nice jesture but I can see in tighter knit community how they might be a little more nosey or participate in that southern gossip.
After having first lived in Raleigh and then the suburbs in Johnston County, I agree with your observations. The closer the community the more reliant they are on their community centers, namely the church.

Courtesy and politeness beat a defensive posture anyday...and anywhere.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 AM

Thumbs up Few words

Have any of you noticed that country folks do not mince words or use lengthy sentences to get their point across?

I mean this in a positive way as this reminds me of the country folks up in New Hampshire and Vermont...folks of few words.

One of my farmer neighbors comes by every morning on his golf cart to check the corn fields across from me. He is quite elderly but active and his family recently banned him from driving his tractor (yea, we'll see how that goes).

I'll always say, "Good morning Mr. ----. How are y'all doin' today?" and he will reply in various ways, like "Awlright"..."Better than before"...or, my favorite, "Well sir, I woke up" and he would smile like a clam. Is it any wonder why he is approaching 90 and , to me, looks so good?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM

375 posts, read 803,374 times
Default Hey there

Hi, I hope I'm allowed to join.

I have a few ?'s for anyone who's willing to listen:

I teach online - have any of you had any experience with whether it's hard to get a reliable high speed internet connection?

I'm looking mainly in the mtn area of NC/SC. Also, is the real estate crunch affecting the prices up there yet? I've been looking online, but there is such a variety it's hard to determine.

Thanks! Rachael

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Thumbs up Welcome Rachael

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
Hi, I hope I'm allowed to join.

I have a few ?'s for anyone who's willing to listen:

I teach online - have any of you had any experience with whether it's hard to get a reliable high speed internet connection?

I'm looking mainly in the mtn area of NC/SC. Also, is the real estate crunch affecting the prices up there yet? I've been looking online, but there is such a variety it's hard to determine.

Thanks! Rachael
First, you are very welcome and I know I am speaking for everyone in here. This is a thread for all small town and country folk and those not in NC sure can join us!

Second, there are different ideas on how to get HS internet in the mountain areas, other than satellite, but since I am in the southeastern part of NC I can't give you the most accurate information.....BUT....

.....If you are thinking of western NC I suggest you post this question in the Western NC forum as there are many in there who will have the right answer for you. I post there occasionally and found them to be extremely helpful.

There are many realtors in western NC who are top of their game so do seek their advice on the housing market there.

Do come back in and post here whenever you like

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 01-04-2008 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina