U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,548,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
Except for nasty bugs (like crab spiders, cockroaches, etc) here in Florida and the snakes (yes, coral snakes among others), most of the critters seems to be harmless (like the armadillos that dig in the lawn at night, the possums that have hidden in our woodpile, too-friendly raccoons that are so un-scared of people that they are foraging in the daytime, etc) -- please tell me what wild things do I need to keep an eye open for in NC?

I'm a long-time Yankee, so I'm used to raccoons, possums, skunks, foxes; have even seen bear at Quabbin Reservoir in Massachusetts and even an ermine at our house in Broome County, NY. I'm talking about the animals that pose a threat or that might be rabid.
Fire ants are prevalent here. Best you have your termite guy spray at least 100 feet away from all sides of your home. They are nasty little buggers and they bite and the bites itch for days!

Might want to be aware of an fox movement due to the chance they can carry rabies.

Since you are going country, if you are near a horse farm, be on the watch for horseflies.

Other than what we both have listed watch out for drunk drivers

I wouldn't be too concerned about snakes unless you like to go out in the back yard at night when it is very dark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 22,710 times
Default Small Town Help Needed - Please

Hello, I'm yet another Floridian looking to make the great escape.

Great info on these boards! Thanks to all! My eyes and brain are now dead after reading about 10 pages, thus the reason for this post.

I hope some of you can point me in the right direction, here's what I'm looking for:
Small Town
Quaint main street (i.e. pretty, coffee shops, couple of restaurants and bars, hardware shop, etc.)
Want to live within walking distance of main street
Would like to live in old 2 story home if possible
Decent schools somewhere close
Low crime
Farmer's Market
Festivals/Parades

Basically something out of a Norman Rockwell painting - which probably only exists in my head anyway. Something with a nice community, great place to raise kids. An Artsy community would be great.

I don't really care about jobs - I work via internet (no, nothing dirty!).

I'd like to keep the home purchase around $250k or less.

Anywhere in the state is fine, but I've visited Western NC a couple of times and really like this part of the state.

So, any suggestions, comments, or hints would be greatly appreciated!! (or just tell me that I'm hallucinating and will never find a place like this).

Thanks!

Last edited by tajones44; 01-05-2008 at 06:29 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Thumbs up You're not hallucinating

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajones44 View Post
Hello, I'm yet another Floridian looking to make the great escape.

Great info on these boards! Thanks to all! My eyes and brain are now dead after reading about 10 pages, thus the reason for this post.

I hope some of you can point me in the right direction, here's what I'm looking for:
Small Town
Quaint main street (i.e. pretty, coffee shops, couple of restaurants and bars, hardware shop, etc.)
Want to live within walking distance of main street
Would like to live in old 2 story home if possible
Decent schools somewhere close
Low crime
Farmer's Market
Festivals/Parades

Basically something out of a Norman Rockwell painting - which probably only exists in my head anyway. Something with a nice community, great place to raise kids. An Artsy community would be great.

I don't really care about jobs - I work via internet (no, nothing dirty!).

I'd like to keep the home purchase around $250k or less.

Anywhere in the state is fine, but I've visited Western NC a couple of times and really like this part of the state.

So, any suggestions, comments, or hints would be greatly appreciated!! (or just tell me that I'm hallucinating and will never find a place like this).

Thanks!
Such towns exist here, although I am not sure I can name one off the top of my head that totally fits the description you posted.

The Town of Benson, in Johnston County, has a nice small town look to it and has everything on your list except the bars and farmers' market. Here is the Chamber of Commerce link: Welcome to benson-chamber.com

I will try to come up with more and will post again and let you know.

I know that such small towns are out there...just can't remember the names at this moment. I do think you will have better luck in western NC so perhaps you should query those in the Asheville area, or western NC.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 01-05-2008 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: added a link

Old 01-05-2008, 11:44 PM

375 posts, read 803,625 times
Default NC snakes

Hi everyone...now that you're talking about snakes, I think they are a good thing. Down here in FL, I saw a BIG one when I was 8 mos pregnant and super hormonal -- freaked out, chopped it up - only to be told it was totally not poisonous...then a few months later, we got mice in the house! So, hey if the snake's not poisonous, live & let live (as long as they don't get in the house like your story!)

What kinds of snakes do you have up there? Do I have to worry about rattlesnakes or copperheads?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
Hi everyone...now that you're talking about snakes, I think they are a good thing. Down here in FL, I saw a BIG one when I was 8 mos pregnant and super hormonal -- freaked out, chopped it up - only to be told it was totally not poisonous...then a few months later, we got mice in the house! So, hey if the snake's not poisonous, live & let live (as long as they don't get in the house like your story!)

What kinds of snakes do you have up there? Do I have to worry about rattlesnakes or copperheads?
What we see here in southeastern NC are Black Racers, Puff Adders and every so often we hear about a Copperhead. Three weeks ago one of the waitresses at the local food barn got bit by a Copperhead. She is fine now but later said it was due to the fact that she went out into the back yard and crossed right in front of him. Most of the snakes here are beneficial so I don't run them off...mostly they see humans and just slither away quietly. All they want are field mice and water so we make sure our land is mowed down flat and keep it clean right into the tree line. Never saw or heard about a rattler in my area but doesn't mean they aren't here.

Also note the new sticky at the top of the forum page. It shows all of the NC counties, so when we discuss where we are it will be easier to locate what we are discussing. Many thanks to mm34b for answering this request to post it and make it a "sticky", staying at the top of the page always.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 AM

13,905 posts, read 2,991,736 times
Hi everybody! I'm not in NC, I'm actually in Tennessee, but I was invited so I thought I'd stop in and say Hi! I am a small town countrygirl from New Hampshire that has been here for about three months. As a new friend of mine just pointed out I am "Northern by birth and Southern by the grace of God" lol. I have been to NC to visit and I know it is beautiful country and as for small town living, I definately prefer it, especially in the southern states. People smile and speak to you everywhere you go, share what they have with you when you need it and have a genuine interest in you. They have taught me the true meaning of "neighbor" and "community" and I would not trade it for all the night life or money or fame you could offer.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Hi everybody! I'm not in NC, I'm actually in Tennessee, but I was invited so I thought I'd stop in and say Hi! I am a small town countrygirl from New Hampshire that has been here for about three months. As a new friend of mine just pointed out I am "Northern by birth and Southern by the grace of God" lol. I have been to NC to visit and I know it is beautiful country and as for small town living, I definately prefer it, especially in the southern states. People smile and speak to you everywhere you go, share what they have with you when you need it and have a genuine interest in you. They have taught me the true meaning of "neighbor" and "community" and I would not trade it for all the night life or money or fame you could offer.
hey there northcountrygirl

I was just about to sign off but saw your post and decided to reply.

We spent many a week up in NH and always loved the White Mountains

Our favorite place was Gunstock, and of course The Anna Lee Doll Factory. My Wife's Mother lived there for 20 years and we had to practically drag her down here to visit. She lived in Meredith.

Glad to have ya in here, and as y'all know so well, us country folks sure know how to make someone feel welcome. Why not be a reg in here, after all, Tennessee is our western neighbor state...and Lord have mercy I forgot to ask where y'all are located in TN????

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 01-06-2008 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: forgot to ask where you are

Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 AM

13,905 posts, read 2,991,736 times
Hi Mickey!!! Glad you didn't leave. I'm from a small town called "Farmington" NH. It's about a half hour from Meredith and I am very familiar with Gunstock. I moved to Tennessee in September and spent 2 months living in Nashville with a friend of mine. Nashville is a beautiful city but I hated having to do the four lane highway hopscotch everywhere I went, lol. I am a country girl. I moved out here to Murfreesboro in November. Murfreesboro is a city but it is a city with a small town feel, and I really like that. I moved to the outskirts of the city because this is where I found work. Thanks for letting me hangout. I'm not missing the record snowfall and frigid temperatures back home by the way. Ha!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:10 AM

17 posts, read 52,769 times
Oh my gosh! We've been looking to move to a rural area, where we'd want to buy a house & a lot of land. We were originally looking to out west, but I've also tossed around the idea of the Carolina's.

I came across this thread and thought I'd died & gone to heaven. It's nice to know there are others out there who want/have this lifestyle too!

We are in NJ currently (ugghhh - we want out!) I was born & raised, he's from the midwest.

Anyways, I'm going to be looking more into North Carolina (rural areas, weather, etc) and hopefully it'll fullfill everything we're looking for!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Hi Mickey!!! Glad you didn't leave. I'm from a small town called "Farmington" NH. It's about a half hour from Meredith and I am very familiar with Gunstock. I moved to Tennessee in September and spent 2 months living in Nashville with a friend of mine. Nashville is a beautiful city but I hated having to do the four lane highway hopscotch everywhere I went, lol. I am a country girl. I moved out here to Murfreesboro in November. Murfreesboro is a city but it is a city with a small town feel, and I really like that. I moved to the outskirts of the city because this is where I found work. Thanks for letting me hangout. I'm not missing the record snowfall and frigid temperatures back home by the way. Ha!
hey back atcha! You just missed me but I am back!!. My Wife recalls our being in Farmington as we drove all over that beautiful state. I remember driving the entire Kankamangus (Kankamagus?) Highway too. Glad you found us interesting enough in here to join in. We haven't been to TN in some time now but on our next trip there we want to see Dollywood.

Snow? I recall a truck driver neighbor telling he called in
Yankee Sunshine". Good to "see" you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina