U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 10:13 AM

24 posts, read 63,824 times

Advertisements

Morning everyone! Been reading this thread and others and would like to introduce myself and beg for help!

I live in Apex at the moment but feel the need to go "out" a bit. My kids are grown (sorta) and I want to be able to find some place where I can have my dogs (my neighbor sued to stop me doing dog rescue) and cats and a decent vegetable and herb garden. It's a bit "regulated" here and while I understand part of that - it's gotten too much. I'm not even allowed to park in front of my own house between the hours of 10-2 because we used to have an issue with parking from the high school. It's time to move.

I keep looking over land sales - I was thinking that we could get a piece of land and then look into modulars (have to move out of present house to fix up and need to be very frugal). It's just hard to get a feel for things as far as balance. We were looking for someplace rural but I guess we do need some options. The boyfriend says - make sure I have my Walmart and Home Depot/Lowes. I've gotten spoiled by our Harris Teeter (embarrassed blush) but that's because the Foodlion is so bad, I'm scared to shop there. I prefer farmer's markets. Would love to be able to have our workshops open and able for people to come by and not worry about zoning (he does wood and I do lampwork/glass - use to sell in Raleigh).

I was looking at Pittsboro as we support CPT (carnivore preservation trust) and like the feel of the area with the crafts people and sustainable ag people. But it seems like the area has gotten trendy and prices have shot up. Then I started looking at Bear Creek and Goldston but I'm the main income and I'll still have to commute into RTP so maybe not (sigh). Right now I'm trying to explore northwestern Chatham - my head's about to explode.

That said - I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. I like museums and theatre but at this stage in my life, I'd just prefer to be able to watch sunrises and sunsets and play with my pups and grow some decent tomatoes or buy some down the road from someone I know! And yes I do blackeyed peas and collards every New Years with my cornbread!

thank you much!

Martha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 02:41 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,541,750 times
Cool No need to beg..help is available here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizSeeker View Post
Morning everyone! Been reading this thread and others and would like to introduce myself and beg for help!

I live in Apex at the moment but feel the need to go "out" a bit. My kids are grown (sorta) and I want to be able to find some place where I can have my dogs (my neighbor sued to stop me doing dog rescue) and cats and a decent vegetable and herb garden. It's a bit "regulated" here and while I understand part of that - it's gotten too much. I'm not even allowed to park in front of my own house between the hours of 10-2 because we used to have an issue with parking from the high school. It's time to move.

I keep looking over land sales - I was thinking that we could get a piece of land and then look into modulars (have to move out of present house to fix up and need to be very frugal). It's just hard to get a feel for things as far as balance. We were looking for someplace rural but I guess we do need some options. The boyfriend says - make sure I have my Walmart and Home Depot/Lowes. I've gotten spoiled by our Harris Teeter (embarrassed blush) but that's because the Foodlion is so bad, I'm scared to shop there. I prefer farmer's markets. Would love to be able to have our workshops open and able for people to come by and not worry about zoning (he does wood and I do lampwork/glass - use to sell in Raleigh).

I was looking at Pittsboro as we support CPT (carnivore preservation trust) and like the feel of the area with the crafts people and sustainable ag people. But it seems like the area has gotten trendy and prices have shot up. Then I started looking at Bear Creek and Goldston but I'm the main income and I'll still have to commute into RTP so maybe not (sigh). Right now I'm trying to explore northwestern Chatham - my head's about to explode.

That said - I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. I like museums and theatre but at this stage in my life, I'd just prefer to be able to watch sunrises and sunsets and play with my pups and grow some decent tomatoes or buy some down the road from someone I know! And yes I do blackeyed peas and collards every New Years with my cornbread!

thank you much!

Martha
Let me know how far from Apex you are willing to move, as I get the notion that your employment hinges around the Triangle area. Then I can give you some first hand information on places that I think will fit your bill.

I live in a rural section of Sampson County about 13 miles from the City of Dunn (Harnett County). In Dunn there is a Wal Mart AND a Lowe's, along with two Food Lions (one very nice and new). We are in farm land but that close to a city.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:14 PM

473 posts, read 658,562 times
Talking Thank you, SunnyKayak!

It is the friendliness and the welcomes from people like YOU who make us long to be in North Carolina! Believe me, we hope we'll be there soon!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,910,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think with today's day of age that it more common scene to have a neighbor that has been in a divorce so I dont see no problem there.
You will also find many, who through their religious beliefs believe that a woman should stay with her husband, for the sake of the children of course, no matter how bad the abuse she receives.

My daughters husband was abusive, and she threw him out, and she and I have both heard some extremely hateful comments from people that call themselves "religious", under the reasoning that a child needs a mother and a father. These are not backwoods folk without an education, but college educated professionals, and go to church 3 - 4 times a week.

The power of the pulpit in some areas is really alarming, reason and common sense just don't seem to be part of the formula. The more rural, the more likely.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,407,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You will also find many, who through their religious beliefs believe that a woman should stay with her husband, for the sake of the children of course, no matter how bad the abuse she receives.

My daughters husband was abusive, and she threw him out, and she and I have both heard some extremely hateful comments from people that call themselves "religious", under the reasoning that a child needs a mother and a father. These are not backwoods folk without an education, but college educated professionals, and go to church 3 - 4 times a week.

The power of the pulpit in some areas is really alarming, reason and common sense just don't seem to be part of the formula. The more rural, the more likely.
How awful. "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", huh

Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,541,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurgess View Post
How awful. "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", huh
You are going to find folks who are radical and not accepting of others no matter where you go.

I do agree that the power of the pulpit is stronger out in rural areas as I see that a lot where I live, but it generally affects only newcomers and only for a short time. Once they get to know you, and decide if they like or dislike you, they will turn to other things.

When we moved to the country we were fortunate to have neighbors who were religious but not zealots. After they all took turns inviting us to worship with them, and our declining, they settled back to basing any neighborly friendship on our character.

One family kept asking if we were Jewish because they were taught that everyone is either their religion or Jewish.

We have to go the City to worship as we are not going to change to suit our neighbors.

I would not hesitate to move to North Carolina because you think some will not accept you (religion, divorce, etc) as America is made up of all kinds of folks and all of us have the right to live where we choose.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 01-21-2008 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: added some info...didn't want to go off topic

Old 01-27-2008, 12:58 PM

13,905 posts, read 2,987,077 times
Hi gang! Just popping in from Tennessee to say Hi! I'm just a visitor here, but I can tell you that I not only moved from a small town in NH to a city in Tennessee, but I also moved here from the North. It is my hope to move out into a more rural area but right now my job keeps me here. I have friends that I work with from rural areas here, even some that are considered "Redneck", and I can tell you I have yet to run into anybody who judges me for where I came from, my beliefs or my past history (divorced). I find that if you do not take yourself too seriously, they won't either. I am constantly kidding them about being their "token Yankee". Whenever I make a mistake or forget something I kid about just being just a northener so what can they expect. I have been told that God must not have liked me very much because not only was I a northerner, I'm short and left handed. They say these things with humor not animosity and I laugh with them. Humor has bridged any ill feelings or prespectives. Now don't think that means I am not proud of where I come from, I am, and they know it. As most of my new friends have never been where I come from they spend alot of time asking me questions about it, especially the fridgid cold temperatures and the "feet" of snow we had every year. I believe the way you are received, when moving either from the North to the South or from a city to a rural area, has more to do with who you are then it does what your religion is or what your past has been. I have found people here to me nothing but helpful and understanding. I moved 1300 miles down here with nothing more than what I could fit in the back of my truck. I moved into an apartment without a stick of furniture. My new friends just started showing up with furniture and other things I might need, not expecting any payment or thanks. That's just the kind of people that live here. They have taught me the real meaning of neighbor and I am humbled. I know that living down here is going to make me a much better person. So set aside your fears and just go where the people are real and you'll be glad you did.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,232 times
Default We will be moving..

within the next month or so. Our daughter and husband and kids are in Roanoke Rapids, Halifax County and have lived there for 3 years. They moved there because they knew we were going to relocate.
We are in PA now but will be moving to 11 acres in Littleton, Halifax County. We can't wait to have no neighbors.
It will take a bit of adjustment as we can now almost walk to the grocery store, but are willing to trade that for peace and quiet. Well almost, since we share our home with 8 parrots and 4 dogs. I can't wait to be able to open the windows and not worry about irritating people.
We love the slower pace of the South and are really tired of the rat race. I am a nurse and my husband does HVAC work so I think we will both be able to find a job without too much difficulty. It may be an adjustment for salary range but real estate taxes are much less.

I just love NC as the temperature is warmer and the winter is shorter.

We are counting the days!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:52 PM

What is on your eleven acres? Please describe your little slice of heaven for us.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 PM

Default On another subject....

I am interested in knowing what all you small-town/country dwellers find to do when the weather gets chilly and maybe rainy. Do you have any activities that you save for the cooler months?

And also, are there any great tips for being more comfortable when the weather turns chilly? Do you have fireplaces that you use? Do you use bed-warmers?

Anyone cook soup on their woodburning fireplace (or the back of the stove)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina