U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 11:38 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,047,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
I am interested in knowing what all you small-town/country dwellers find to do when the weather gets chilly and maybe rainy. Do you have any activities that you save for the cooler months?

And also, are there any great tips for being more comfortable when the weather turns chilly? Do you have fireplaces that you use? Do you use bed-warmers?

I work all the time but my husband is a brick mason, when it is to hot or to cold or rainy he goes to the rifle range and shoots skeet and targets.

Anyone cook soup on their woodburning fireplace (or the back of the stove)?
We have a wood stove that we use all winter,we have natural gas heat but rarely ever use it,I fix soup and pintos on it all the time. I tried an electric blanket but it got to warm and had to take it off the bed. Wood heat is really warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 06:16 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
I am interested in knowing what all you small-town/country dwellers find to do when the weather gets chilly and maybe rainy. Do you have any activities that you save for the cooler months?
It really doesn't get that cold in our part of NC and what cold we do have isn't enough to totally hinder outdoor activity. I still work out in my yard building things but just wear a couple more layers

And also, are there any great tips for being more comfortable when the weather turns chilly? Do you have fireplaces that you use? Do you use bed-warmers?
Our home is extra insulated so we hardly notice any difference. We don't have a fireplace. Bed warmers??? Y'all are joking, right

Anyone cook soup on their woodburning fireplace (or the back of the stove)?
My contribution to your post

Old 02-03-2008, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 21,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchseavey View Post
We are one year out of Chicago and into paradise. My biggest regret is that we didn't move sooner.

We have goats, chickens and guineas. We've encountered chiggers and tics and the cat brought us a nice big black snake (which was relocated back outside with kitchen tongs). We make more of our own fun (playing music with our neighbors instead of going to the opera, it's a good trade) but there's plenty to do between classes at the extention, stargazing, learning about bee keeping, keeping up with the garden and, and, and. There are also festivals and farmers markets and other big events it seems like all the time.
May I please have the location of this Paradise? What town? What county? I, too, want to have goats, chickens, sheep, a cow, and a horse. I want to grow organic vegetables, corn and beans. A pond to raise my tilapia would be a wonderful feature.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:43 PM

13,905 posts, read 2,990,194 times
Hello to all my North Carolina neighbors!!! Just the Tennessee girl stopping in to say hi! I hope everyone is doing well.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Hello to all my North Carolina neighbors!!! Just the Tennessee girl stopping in to say hi! I hope everyone is doing well.
hey back atcha northcountrygirl: I am doing fine and hope you are too. We are starting to get more and more rain here so the water reserve deficit should be easing a bit. Hope all is well with you in TN

Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 AM

24 posts, read 63,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
Let me know how far from Apex you are willing to move, as I get the notion that your employment hinges around the Triangle area. Then I can give you some first hand information on places that I think will fit your bill.

I live in a rural section of Sampson County about 13 miles from the City of Dunn (Harnett County). In Dunn there is a Wal Mart AND a Lowe's, along with two Food Lions (one very nice and new). We are in farm land but that close to a city.
Thank you for any suggestions and advice you care to share!

What I'm hearing from my manager is that he does have people way out that drive in and he does have a rule that we do need to be in the office several days a week even though most of our work is remote. So I'm thinking that too out in the country will hurt me in terms of sanity (commuting long days when I hate to drive) and $$ (gas prices) so I'd better stay kinda close. I will probably not be able to "retire" so I need to keep the working facts in mind when making a decison. And I need a strong Internet connection so that may play into where as well.

I still like Pittsboro as a starting center. I had to go to Greensboro this weekend and came back down 87 from Graham and didn't mind the area coming down from the north but I have the feeling as it is closer to RTP and Carrboro/Chapel Hill (which I also like) it will be more expensive. Heaven forbid - I tried to go with some area specific real estate searches and got bombarded with the golf course listings - NOT what I'm looking for! But - honestly - I'd rather not be next to the poultry plant either. I know - picky picky picky. But I plan for this to be my last home so I'd like for it to fit for a while (hopefully). I really wanted to stop by the Chatham County Co-op store but we ran out of time.

I may just have to scale back dramatically on what I wanted in terms of space - 5 acres - 3 acreas - 2 acres.... I need to get more perspective on how much is how much - does that make ANY sense? And I get so many different reactions to wooded vs cleared (you can make $$ off of the wood ... you'll have stumps EVERYWHERE!). Decisions, decisions.

I used to tell my kids "we should live down the road from CPT. No one will care about our dogs when there are tigers around the corner".

O - and Nims. I used to live out OUT in the country (5 miles to a gas station and ministore) and we had a woodstove that saved us many a day with heat and heating soup or stew. However, having lived with frozen pipes and pumps and sleeping in a barracaded living room with small children next to the fire to stay warm .... my next country house will have LOTS of insulation and a generator. That's why I won't generally consider an older house. I love the look but they can be a money pit. No wood stoves this time - I'll have gas logs and make sure my grill is close. I hated the debris and my lungs can't take the smoke anymore. A well will be okay but it will be a DEEP well (hated running out of water). As far as going out when it's cold and wet - I do have a small obsession for a good library and strong internet connection (which I'd have to have for job). Jigsaw puzzles, music, cooking and planning the spring garden all work as well. Bed warmers? No - I don't let the dogs on the bed - wouldn't be room for us ....

thank you all!

Martha

Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 PM

MIzSeeker:
I would suggest you try to narrow down your search wish list after you have solidified exactly how comfortable your commute driving time can be as things vary drastically and quickly as you change locations here.

It is difficult to compare costs of cutting trees and other costs such as land by the acre as there are just too many things that enter into the equation.
50 miles in one direct can put you into a more expensive situation than 50 in another.
Your idea to start in Pittsboro is a good one and you should exhaust all possibilities from one locale before moving to another.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:45 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
You are going to find folks who are radical and not accepting of others no matter where you go.

I do agree that the power of the pulpit is stronger out in rural areas as I see that a lot where I live, but it generally affects only newcomers and only for a short time. Once they get to know you, and decide if they like or dislike you, they will turn to other things.

When we moved to the country we were fortunate to have neighbors who were religious but not zealots. After they all took turns inviting us to worship with them, and our declining, they settled back to basing any neighborly friendship on our character.

One family kept asking if we were Jewish because they were taught that everyone is either their religion or Jewish.

We have to go the City to worship as we are not going to change to suit our neighbors.

I would not hesitate to move to North Carolina because you think some will not accept you (religion, divorce, etc) as America is made up of all kinds of folks and all of us have the right to live where we choose.
Sorry to take so long to get back, but thank you for the honest assessment and sharing the experience. I was just talking to someone who moved to the "outer suburbs" of a large metro city.....and is experiencing much of the same...."caution" (to be kind....) on the part of the "neighbors." But, it's MUCH more strong than you describe; in fact, she felt some would NEVER talk to her EVER (!). We are talking lawsuit territory, also, with regard to property lines and that sort of thing.

This is my thought, correct me if I'm wrong. It's different even in the "outer suburbs" than REAL "country". I think there's an eventual interdependence (even if only in spirit) that happens in "actual" country. My only experience is spending time in Colorado, but I did see it there with the residents....far enough "out" to have NO ties to a city. It seems more negative to be, even 75 miles away but still considered a "burb."

A I getting theoretical here? I am feeling like "in time", from what you are saying, and taking into consideration being helpful, positive assets to WHATEVER community, acceptance will come. Vs., maybe, a more negative situation created by these ever expanding city situations?

I just went to a wonderful conference with many people who had transplanted to places like Fort Myers, Northern Wisconsin, various places, to get away from the "rat race"...none to the Carolinas, oddly, but seemed like mostly either to "more" winter or to Florida. Very boating oriented. It really seemed to me that positive, "nice" people can eventually make it work....and this "worry" about "acceptance" is probably a product if what you're (everyone is) trying to "get away from" anyway.

Comments? Excuse the length....

Old 02-04-2008, 05:58 PM

[quote=SBurgess;2724962]Sorry to take so long to get back, but thank you for the honest assessment and sharing the experience....

...This is my thought, correct me if I'm wrong. It's different even in the "outer suburbs" than REAL "country". I think there's an eventual interdependence (even if only in spirit) that happens in "actual" country. My only experience is spending time in Colorado, but I did see it there with the residents....far enough "out" to have NO ties to a city. It seems more negative to be, even 75 miles away but still considered a "burb." the suburbs and outer suburbs are made up in large part by transplants who are much more territorial about their property lines than NC natives. I am in the "country" not in even an extended suburb, city or even a town...and my neighbors couldn't care less about property lines. When I had my acreage surveyed upon purchasing it it showed where the owner to my left actually had 10 feet more than he though and the one to the right had 10 less. Both laughed when I showed them the property stakes and one said, "more grass for you to cut" while the other said, "more for my lawn guy to cut". You don't see anything more than good old country wooden corner posts and the only fences here are to keep the livestock In not to keep people out.

A I getting theoretical here? I am feeling like "in time", from what you are saying, and taking into consideration being helpful, positive assets to WHATEVER community, acceptance will come. Vs., maybe, a more negative situation created by these ever expanding city situations?

I just went to a wonderful conference with many people who had transplanted to places like Fort Myers, Northern Wisconsin, various places, to get away from the "rat race"...none to the Carolinas, oddly, but seemed like mostly either to "more" winter or to Florida. Very boating oriented. It really seemed to me that positive, "nice" people can eventually make it work....and this "worry" about "acceptance" is probably a product if what you're (everyone is) trying to "get away from" anyway. Nice people are nice people period....doesn't matter where you are...and if you are a nice person your neighbors will see that and will treat you accordingly. Here in North Carolina common sense still lives!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:22 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,343 times
[quote=UncleBatz;2725079]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurgess View Post
Sorry to take so long to get back, but thank you for the honest assessment and sharing the experience....

...This is my thought, correct me if I'm wrong. It's different even in the "outer suburbs" than REAL "country". I think there's an eventual interdependence (even if only in spirit) that happens in "actual" country. My only experience is spending time in Colorado, but I did see it there with the residents....far enough "out" to have NO ties to a city. It seems more negative to be, even 75 miles away but still considered a "burb." the suburbs and outer suburbs are made up in large part by transplants who are much more territorial about their property lines than NC natives. I am in the "country" not in even an extended suburb, city or even a town...and my neighbors couldn't care less about property lines. When I had my acreage surveyed upon purchasing it it showed where the owner to my left actually had 10 feet more than he though and the one to the right had 10 less. Both laughed when I showed them the property stakes and one said, "more grass for you to cut" while the other said, "more for my lawn guy to cut". You don't see anything more than good old country wooden corner posts and the only fences here are to keep the livestock In not to keep people out.

I just went to a wonderful conference with many people who had transplanted to places like Fort Myers, Northern Wisconsin, various places, to get away from the "rat race"...none to the Carolinas, oddly, but seemed like mostly either to "more" winter or to Florida. Very boating oriented. It really seemed to me that positive, "nice" people can eventually make it work....and this "worry" about "acceptance" is probably a product if what you're (everyone is) trying to "get away from" anyway. Nice people are nice people period....doesn't matter where you are...and if you are a nice person your neighbors will see that and will treat you accordingly. Here in North Carolina common sense still lives!
Thank you so much. There are such wonderful advantages to city living, and it's a shame that common sense has "fled." I, myself, feel like I squeezed into the last good big city living......museums, lack of immigration problems, the arts, the "neighborhood" and "small business" feel, etc. Now, it's developer (r.e.) heaven, and really angry, confused, non-commonsense'ical people. It's true. I think, in short, that the amount of $$ you need to (now) insulate yourself and your family from what citites have evolved (downward) into for daily life is SO HUGE, that most people can't, frankly, afford it....and we are (just) not talking "rent, mortgage." I am glad my children and I remember the "old days" in an old fashioned, genteel neighborhood in a large city. BOY Is that gone.....

I am thinking I should say that the LAST thing anyone in the "country" should do is to worry about transplants....they're the ones with common sense.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina